Well, my morning is off to a fun start (police standoff downtown INDY)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Got a text just before 8 this morning from IUPUI informing me of this situation.

The most fun part of it is that the two parking lots that I use most commonly are closed. You guys catch the article a week or two ago about parking at IUPUI? 30,000+ students, about 7,000 spots, minus 500 or so because of this cuteness today.

Someone remind me again why I can't carry on campus? Oh yeah, I can, it's legal(ish?), but against school policy, which means they expel me if they catch me.

Incidents like this make me rethink my choices. It may be time to invest in a Smartcarry and dies to load for my Kel-Tec, since .380 is close to impossible to come by.

Sorry for the rambling post, haven't yet completed my pot of coffee today.

Last edited by a moderator:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Police standoff

Police standoff near IUPUI campus | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Police were negotiating this morning with an armed man in his apartment near Wishard Memorial Hospital and the IUPUI campus.

The 24-year-old Iraq war veteran was armed with a rifle in the Lockefield Gardens apartments, police spokesman Sgt. Paul Thompson said.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department SWAT was on the scene near Indiana Avenue and Blackford Street. Negotiators began talking to the man about 7:30 a.m.

Police said they responded to a disturbance call about 4 a.m. at Lockefield Gardens. They discovered that patio furniture had been thrown at an apartment unit, breaking glass. They also found blood.

“When officers got there they followed the trail of blood” to the suspect’s apartment, Thompson said.

Inside they could see him struggling with his roommate, who was trying to wrestle away his weapon. They roommate came out unharmed about 15 minutes later, Thompson said.

The roommate said the veteran had a second gun in the apartment.

Some nearby Lockefield residents were evacuated to the complex’s clubhouse.

Area traffic was not affected by the police activity.

IUPUI officials said the incident would not affect classes, however parking in three student lots adjacent to Lockefield Gardens was restricted this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Still ongoing, as of 11:30.

A standoff involving a highly-trained Iraq War veteran near the Indiana University Purdue University-Indianapolis campus entered its sixth hour Tuesday with no end in sight.

Indianapolis police were called to the Lockefield Gardens apartments, at Indiana Avenue and Blackford Street, at about 4:30 a.m. after someone reported glass breaking in a disturbance inside one of the apartments, 6News' Julie Pursley reported.

When officers arrived, they found that there were two men inside an apartment who were involved in the dispute. One of the men escaped, but told police not to go inside, because he said the other man was heavily armed.

"Apparently, he was inside with who we believe to be a friend of his who was trying to negotiate that weapon being released at that time," said Sgt. Paul Thompson. "The officers stood their ground just outside the apartment and communicated with the individuals inside."

Police declined to release the man's identity, but said he is a 26-year-old ranger who served three tours in Iraq and is now a student at IUPUI.

Several National Guard members who know the man were gathering outside the apartment Tuesday morning as police tried to get him to surrender, Pursley reported.

Police think the man is armed with a military-style rife and several rounds of ammunition, along with other guns, body armor, a gas mask and a vest.

Lt. Jeff Duhamell said the man has had several personal problems after arriving home from Iraq eight months ago, including a pending divorce and being the victim of a carjacking on Sept. 6. The man's issues apparently hit a boiling point during a night of heavy drinking.

Investigators said they are in no hurry to get the man out of the home and that they are concerned about the man's mental well-being, believing that he may be suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

"Everyone we have talked to, the people who've worked with him in the National Guard, says he's a very good guy," Duhamell said. "He's had trouble adjusting when he gets back."

Police also think the man suffered a cut on his hand in the initial altercation in the apartment. They are communicating with him through a phone that was thrown into the apartment.

Some people were evacuated from other apartment units in the area, and streets in the area were blocked off.

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    i just got off work. the police were saying they had a good dialogue going with the guy and they were very hopeful it would end peacefully.

The guy was heavily intoxicated and hurt himself in the initial altercation. So as he sobers up, hopefully his head clears, he gives up and gets medical attention.

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    WISH-TV.

our guy was first on scene...getting there as IMPD and SWAT were arriving. He got in before they had a perimeter setup and actually had an officer draw a sidearm on him yelling "YOU'RE IN THE RED ZONE". They were taking it very seriously, obviously.

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    we talked to a few guys who lived in the same building as the individual...they say just as SWAT/LEO arrived he was actually giving himself up, but in the process of them ordering him to the ground he apparently made an aggressive action, retreated back into his building, and several shots were exchanged.

all that is according to resident eyewitnesses...I believe it's IMPD protocol to wait for a conflict to end before they state on the record if shots have been fired.

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    Hope it ends well and no gunfire is made. Some of our finest men in the service come home to everthing upside down compared to when they left. Its hard on them, I know it has to be.

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    wow.

I hope everyone's alright.

I wonder if it's anyone on here knows...

Standoff near IUPUI ends peacefully

"At around 11:30 a.m. 26-year-old Jason Carrera gave himself up. Police said Carrera was armed with at least one high power rifle with a substantial amount of ammunition."

"Police said Carrera is a member of the Indiana National Guard. The soldier is 26 years old and has served three tours in Iraq. He completed his last tour 8 months ago."

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Standoff near IUPUI ends peacefully

"At around 11:30 a.m. 26-year-old Jason Carrera gave himself up. Police said Carrera was armed with at least one high power rifle with a substantial amount of ammunition."

Thanks. didn't see a name in the last news article.

Name sounds familiar, but I don't know him. Hope he gets the help he needs. Too bad he's going to jail for all this. Jail won't help.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Police said Carrera had been in the National Guard for eight years and had undergone highly specialized ranger training in tactical operations.

This guy is a hero. Is he going to get the help he needs? If not, if he ends up in jail, then the system is more broken then any of us thought.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    "The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive veterans of early wars were treated and appreciated by our nation."
    - George Washington

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I've got a buddy I'm helping move back to southern Indiana from Oklahoma next month. He could very easily be in this same situation. Thankfully he's got a very loving wife and children to help him focus. This whole situation brings up anger at those who are suppose to care about who they send to fight the wars, but for some reason don't follow through.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYeV-dklStA]YouTube - Five Finger Death Punch - No One Gets Left Behind (2009) W: Lyrics![/ame]

Top Bottom