• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have heard of people doing this and always tried to make sure it didn't happen to me. Whenever I reload ammo, I always check my powder charger every 20 or so rounds. Today I did that and got into a rhythm and when I looked up I had loaded around 300 rounds. I checked the load in the brass that was just charged and it was empty! Long story short, I'm breaking down a lot of ammo tonight.

I did did not have the butterfly screw tightened enough and it unscrewed as I reloaded. It was not tight enough to engage the charger. Instead of weighing the rounds to determine which had powder and which did not, I decided to break them all down. Some far, some have nothing and others have very light loads. Oh well, live and learn.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I load mine on a single stage one at a time for that reason plus I reload precision rounds, so I measure pour in case then pour back onto scale to recheck accuracy of charge

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Look. In. Every. Case. ... before you set the bullet on top.
    low powder sensor on hopper.
    know what can go wrong on the press and watch those things as you pull the handle. I.e. On one pull watch the powder bar linkage, on the next watch the eclip on the sizer isn't breaking, on the next the primer chute, etc... That should be part of your rhythm, like moving your eyes to your speedometer and rear view mirror as you drive.

-rvb

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Not fun, but you did catch it and could correct the situation with no one hurt.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

No problem. I've read about others doing it and have always watched out. I've never seen any errors in the past, but the one time I didn't check...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    butterfly screw??

I assume he means the plastic wing nut on the ' fail safe' return rod that links the powder measure to the ram.
    I usually check mine every 500 rounds and have to give it a turn or so every couple thousand rounds. I set it so the spring is just shy of full compression. It needs adjusted when you change calibers.

-rvb

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    A friend of mine was loading up some 38 Special on a single stage press. He was putting together test rounds to develop a load.

He weighed the powder on his Hornady G2-1500 scale to 4.2 Grains and put it in the case and seated the bullets. Off the the range to try the rounds in his S&W .357 mag. He pulled the trigger and Kaboom.

Here is the remains of the case:

Here is what's left of the revolver.

The scale was set on Carats instead of Grains.
    He put 12.96 grains of powder in the case.
    Don't ask me how he did it but he did.

He walked away completely injury free and all the parts were laying at his feet.

I told him he had a guardian angel standing between him and the revolver.

I tried to buy the gun from him last year but he said a dealer told him it was worth over a $1,000. I told him I'd give him $20 for it now.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I assume he means the plastic wing nut on the ' fail safe' return rod that links the powder measure to the ram.
    I usually have to give mine a turn or so every 500 rounds. I set it so the spring is just shy of full compression.

-rvb

Ahhhhhhhh, now I understand.. My 550 and 650 still have the return springs.
    After what I have been reading the last few minutes, I believe I will not do this upgrade.. The springs have never failed me.. Interesting though.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Ahhhhhhhh, now I understand.. My 550 and 650 still have the return springs.
    After what I have been reading the last few minutes, I believe I will not do this upgrade.. The springs have never failed me.. Interesting though.

I can see how the "new" system is better than the springs... Assuming it's set correctly.
    I don't know if I'd upgrade if I had the old spring system, but I certainly wouldn't retro grade as some do. Some do both and say it smooths out the system...

-rvb

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Move on from here Que....

Now that you have learned from your mistake, Que, go ahead+pull them down--separate the components, pull your decap stem from your size die+run them back through your 550 using the case, powder, projectiles at hand.

I make it a FIRM habit of watching the powder bar move full stroke, and ALWAYS install a bullet on a charged case after I rotate, before I walk away from the press. I have a "HomeMade" primer warning system, and add to the powder reservoir when it gets down to about 1" showing through the clear plastic.

I have loaded on my RL550 for over 25 years, observing these ^^^ rules, and have not had problems--(YET)

Just shake it off Que, and "Get back on the Horse".....Bill.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have heard of people doing this and always tried to make sure it didn't happen to me. Whenever I reload ammo, I always check my powder charger every 20 or so rounds. Today I did that and got into a rhythm and when I looked up I had loaded around 300 rounds. I checked the load in the brass that was just charged and it was empty! Long story short, I'm breaking down a lot of ammo tonight.

I did did not have the butterfly screw tightened enough and it unscrewed as I reloaded. It was not tight enough to engage the charger. Instead of weighing the rounds to determine which had powder and which did not, I decided to break them all down. Some far, some have nothing and others have very light loads. Oh well, live and learn.
    Didn't you do that once before? I remember a FNS where you had several squibs from something similar.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I put some 380 loads together using W231 at near max load. I loaded 100 rounds and went to the range to try them on the newly purchased G42. They would not cycle in the gun. They would either not slide back far enough to pickup another round or would stove pipe.

My wife was with me so I had her shoot them and told her it was good malfunction practice while I shot my new G41. :whistle:
    That was way easier than pulling them. I loaded up another set of four different powder weights with five rounds each with bullseye powder. They shot great with the Bullseye powder.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Now that you have learned from your mistake, Que, go ahead+pull them down--separate the components, pull your decap stem from your size die+run them back through your 550 using the case, powder, projectiles at hand.

I make it a FIRM habit of watching the powder bar move full stroke, and ALWAYS install a bullet on a charged case after I rotate, before I walk away from the press. I have a "HomeMade" primer warning system, and add to the powder reservoir when it gets down to about 1" showing through the clear plastic.

I have loaded on my RL550 for over 25 years, observing these ^^^ rules, and have not had problems--(YET)

Just shake it off Que, and "Get back on the Horse".....Bill.

Yep! I'm just posting my screw-ups so nobody has to go through the same thing.

Top Bottom