• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drumsscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carmel
    That's a great story, I'm sure your Uncle was jazzed about his new rifle. But, I'm sure giving it too him was just as rewarding for you.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Well, I picked up the M&P 15 today, and never made it home with it.
    Took it straight over to my uncle and asked him what he thought of HIS new rifle.
    "MY new rifle, what do you mean?"

Some of you may realize from another thread. This is the same uncle that just put my name on the deed for 50 acres of woods.
    I told him if he was interested, the rifle was his.
    Grinning from ear to ear, he said, "Well YES, I WOULD like to have it!"
    I could see the excitement in his eyes. Looked like a little kid at Christmas.
    I've never seen him so giddy.

I took just a couple of minutes to show him how to disassemble it for maintenance, how to charge it, and explained the gas system.
    I'm sure he will forget most of what I told him, but that's o.k.
    I told him to let me know when he's ready to go shooting and I'd bring hm a cleaning kit, a second mag, and a couple of hundred rounds of American Eagle .223AR.

The only semi-auto he has any experience with is an M1 Garand.
    He seemed intrigued when I told him yes, the AR15 is basically what I used in the Marine Corps.

He asked if the AR would be a decent coyote gun!
    I had to try hard to keep from laughing while I explained it is a favorite for a LOT of coyote hunters, and his grin just got bigger.
    Can't wait to get him out to the range.

Reading this just made my day...very very cool. Well done, sir.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's been a while, but I finally got to take my uncle out to the range to get him shooting his new AR15.
    I took him out a couple of weeks ago, but he complained he couldn't get a good sight picture with open sights an almost 80 year old eyes.
    I found a riser and a cheap little Simmons 8-Point 3-9x32 to put on top and he is now hitting bullseyes with ease.

This was only at 50 yards, but he was having fun and he's now ready to move to a longer range.
    When I asked, he said he understands how tempting it might be to rattle off a mag dump, but he can't get past the cost!

My uncle is possibly the MOST frugal man on the planet.
    He squeezes $.07 out of every nickle he's ever touched.
    He's an 80 year old bachelor. Never married or had kids. Had a good job for decades and did well enough for himself in the markets.
    This is the same guy who goes to the Goodwill Store (he calls it Bloomingdales) and finds something he likes. Instead of buying it outright, he'll hide it behind something else on the shelf, then return on Wednesday, when he gets the 30% senior discount.

This is all the more reason I was so surprised at the gift of the hunting property.
    Even though he could easily afford it, and he is (was) an avid hunter. I never expected him to lay out that kind of money for hunting property, let alone put my name on the deed.

So, if I can keep him practicing between now and the end of deer season, I think I might have a new coyote hunting partner along with the property!
    I think I'm having as much fun as he is, if not more.

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    A great story on multiple levels. Thanks for sharing. I am sure the returned karma will be multi times your generousity.

Im intrigued by the dinner and am hoping to find out more about these events. Congrats on the table haul for your group!

Top Bottom