• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    The law that allows anyone to carry in their car is part of the new CCW law. It was made very clear in that law that no local municipality could pass a law that interferes with any of the sections on this law. IANAL but it would seem simple to me that the 1000 foot rule cannot, and will not apply to anyone carrying under the color of the CCW law. Which, again, allows carry in the car.

J480

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    Griffith IN
    As for now, I have yet to see the real ordinances(printed text) that just passed. i've looked on the city website,then CPD website. Nothing. Google didn't help so i'm going off what is in the news article. Anyone here have any links that could help those of us that travel to Illinois/Chicago?

J480

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    Griffith IN
    The law that allows anyone to carry in their car is part of the new CCW law. It was made very clear in that law that no local municipality could pass a law that interferes with any of the sections on this law. IANAL but it would seem simple to me that the 1000 foot rule cannot, and will not apply to anyone carrying under the color of the CCW law. Which, again, allows carry in the car.
    I suppose that travelling in your car with a concealed handgun would be possessing a "weapon",so even if i'm legally carrying per section 40 of HB183 I'll still get hit with a fine and 30 days in jail for simply crossing into the imaginery/poorly defined 1/8 mile of a park or 1000ft of a school. I'd not like to be the test case on this. Lawyers are expensive.. Still, I have yet to see the actual text of the ordinances.

J480

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    Griffith IN
    *Section 65. Prohibited areas. ***(c) A licensee shall not be in violation of this Section while he or she is traveling along a public right of way that touches or crosses any of the premises under subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section if the concealed firearm is carried on his or her person in accordance with the provisions of this Act or is being transported in a vehicle by the licensee in accordance with all other applicable provisions of law. Wouldn't local ordinances trump the CCW law? Ordinandes aren't actually "provisions of law" right?

Top Bottom