• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    capital one had been decent to me over the years, low intrest rate and high credit limit for my **** credit that was screwed over by a workers comp claim that went unpaid for 2.5 years.... last time i checked i had a credit score of about 400 and in that time frame i coudln't not get approved to give the banks money.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Thanks for posting your story.
    Here is my take on it:
    Merchant agreements with CC companies vary greatly. Basic access means a touchtone phone where you put CC# exp date and total amount (and that is it).
    Other plans help you prove validity (like CSV code, street number, zip, phone number of billing, full name).
    You said WalMart was the merchant.
    They have the most sophisticated data mining setup of any retailer out there (and have built it since 1999 for watching spending correlation).
    That means that walmart tracks every ITEM on a purchase to that transaction.

Now keep this in mind: Walmart know that X was purchased with Y.
    At this point, how on earth do they know who YOU are as a customer?
    They don't until you use a credit card...OR...one of those silly retail 'rewards' cards.
    Without one of those, there is no address (like with cash).

So (and just spitballing here)...Walmart instantly flagged the transaction through computer system. Then a notification gets sent to management (whether or not this passes through Bentonville first, IDK).
    That, along with the CC#, get passed along to Leo. Walmart at this point from their merchant agreement should not have any sort of credit card billing address.
    So I would assume that the county sheriff's dept had to phone the CC company to get the address.

Any other guesses on that, or is that pretty close?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    probably pretty easy for the sherrif to find me, i have an unusual last name about a total of 8 people in the county i live in have this last name me, my dad, mom, sister, sister, great uncle and his wife and another guy who i am of no relation to.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Here's how I would find out why they're digging through my trash: I'd ask them why they're digging through my trash.

I realize that not everyone has the specialized, highly technical capability to defuse such a volatile situation as a man sifting through garbage - but not every encounter with a stranger has to be looked at as a potential gun fight.

Oh, you can bet step one is asking why they're digging through my trash. I not going to walk out my front door with my gun pointed at their head or anything stupid, but it will be holstered at my side. BUT I carry to protect myself in any situation, not just garbage-digging, trespassing situations. I also carry in other trespassing situations, such as dark figures running across my lawn (turned out to be teenagers playing tag). I carry in the grocery store, in my car, in my parents' house, while eating in a restaurant. None of these mean I'm looking for a gun fight. It means that I'm exercising my 2A rights and choosing to protect myself from the evil that exists in our world. I'm prepared, just as someone might place a blanket in their car in case they get stranded in cold weather or a parent taking their child in for a vaccination in case they were to be exposed to a disease. While I can't be ready for every situation, I like to be as ready as I can for as many situations as possible.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    guess i should've put that in purple. and for looking for meth stuff in the garbage im surprised he wasn't wearing any gloves, which may lead me to believe i was being staked out at where i bought the stuff and someone posing as a cop to steal my identity. good thing i burn every piece of mail i ever get.

you can however take a **** in you own trash cans, preferably on the top of the bags :D

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'm inside my house, about to hop in the shower and I see someone going through my trash cans. So I go outside, slide my shirt up, unsap my holster and have my hand on my weapon. I ask if I can help them and he tells me that he is a sherrif deputy and to take my hand off my weapon. I asked for ID so he showed me ID. I asked why he was going through my trash. He told me

your credit card issuer reported that I had bought sudafed and paint thinner. I said yes, so why are you looking through my trash.

I'm going to agree with several others, it was probably Walmart that called.

I'm guessing you bought both at the pharmacy counter at the same time? They probably thought you were making meth and since you have to give them your name/address to buy it well....

ETA It seems they are required by IN law to report "suspicious" order to the state police in writing within 3 days. Sec f.
    Indiana Code - Criminal Law and Procedure - Title 35, Section 35-48-4-14.7 - Indiana Attorney Resources - Indiana Laws

Any other guesses on that, or is that pretty close?

Walmart would have his name and address just for buying the sudafed. They are required to keep a record of it. No need to call the CC company.

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Oh, you can bet step one is asking why they're digging through my trash. I not going to walk out my front door with my gun pointed at their head or anything stupid, but it will be holstered at my side. BUT I carry to protect myself in any situation, not just garbage-digging, trespassing situations. I also carry in other trespassing situations, such as dark figures running across my lawn (turned out to be teenagers playing tag). I carry in the grocery store, in my car, in my parents' house, while eating in a restaurant. None of these mean I'm looking for a gun fight. It means that I'm exercising my 2A rights and choosing to protect myself from the evil that exists in our world. I'm prepared, just as someone might place a blanket in their car in case they get stranded in cold weather or a parent taking their child in for a vaccination in case they were to be exposed to a disease. While I can't be ready for every situation, I like to be as ready as I can for as many situations as possible.

A very well reasoned response, me thinks!:+1:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This is another good reason to have a lawn sprinkler system. You'd just have to set it up so you could turn it on anytime you want. Hose him down next time.

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    Only if your trash was locked up inside a building. Once it's out in public view, even on your property, it's fair game.

Somewhere in the list of terms and conditions you agreed to in order to have a credit card your issuer probably included something to the effect they can share your purchasing history with anyone or no one they choose to. Honestly not worth the pissing match. You'll lose. Tear up the card and make sure your other card issuers don't do the same thing.

The Jar Head's right .. sad but true on the trash ...
    Duncan

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    i hope you file a complaint report with the sherrifs office at least.

i would have told him im not taking my hand off my weapon till he gets his ugly ass off my property. just because he's an LEO doesn't mean he cant be shot for trespassing and putting you in fear of your life just like the local crack head.

and people get on me for what I say about some cops ?
    Duncan

Top Bottom