• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am fairly new to well systems so need some assistance. Water pressure in the house seems to be really low to the point of only being able to run one shower or if someone flushes the toilet in one bathroom the whole house loses pressure. I checked the pressure tank and it is where it's supposed to be pressure wise. Also, the pressure gauge on the well says it is where it needs to be also. I've read that volume could also be the culprit rather then pressue. Has anyone had experience checking that to see if it is the problem? Also, if it is how do you approach fixing it?

Thanks for any help

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Is this a 4" well, or a shallow well?

And what does the pressures are at what they are supposed to be mean?
    What pressure is it set at, cut on and cut off?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have an old shallow well system. The pump is set at pressures from 20-40 and you don't want to be in the shower when someone flushes. Even when the pressure gets low and then the pump kicks on, it will affect the water temp for a short time.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have an old shallow well system. The pump is set at pressures from 20-40 and you don't want to be in the shower when someone flushes. Even when the pressure gets low and then the pump kicks on, it will affect the water temp for a short time.
    Ours used to do that when I was growing up here, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to do it anymore. I don't know if it's because we've now got the newer low-volume flush toilets or what. The well hasn't changed, although we did get a new pressure tank a couple of years ago. Even before that though I didn't notice it like I did when I was a kid here.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Ok, not a well expert by any means, but been dealing with one for 26 years. I’d first check and make sure none of the valves around the pressure tank are partially closed restricting flow. Others have rightly said whole house filter and water softener could be plugged. When you checked the tank pressure, was it full or empty? With no water in it, the air pressure at the air valve should be about 2 pounds less than your cut-on pressure. You can kind of check to see if it’s waterlogged by feeling it. If it’s cold all the way top to bottom, that usually means there’s no air in the bladder and water has filled the space.

Hopefully there’s a real plumber on here that can help you out.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You need to narrow down the problem area. You have pressure, so that is Great. Now it will be a simple, and cheaper to fix clog. If it is a submersible pump, you can disconnect the line, adapt a hose to the pump discharge. Turn it on and time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Use that data to calculate GPH. If it flows the volume that the pump is rated, you luckily do not have to pull the well apart. Now you can check the line to the house, any pre filters or screens, fittings at the expansion tank, and down the line. I have seen a sediment build up at a 1 to 3/4 reducer fitting that was closed down probably 5/16". Pressure was fine, but flushing a toilet pretty much shut down the faucets. Good luck

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My well supplies 60lbs of pressure. I have no problems using showers/toilets at the same time.
    My well pressure tank is also larger than most, it's 36" wide x 48" tall. If I lose power I can run water most of the day before it runs out of pressure.

My house used to have all galvanized iron pipes but I have replaced 90% of them with copper. Ran a 1" backbone through the middle of the house and 1/2" runs off that to all fixtures.

Top Bottom