• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quewing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I recently turned 18 and hopped up and moved to one of the most disgustingly liberal states in the US--New York. At the time, I was living in CA and wasn't able to own firearms due to a little mishap that occurred when I said something I didn't mean (I've definitely learned that lesson since). I basically got put on a psych hold for "threatening" (though, it wasn't a threat as much as it was a figure of speech) to do harm to self. Said "I want to die". Never tried to hurt myself, nor did the thought cross my mind. But I said it. In CA, a psych hold (also known as a 5150) invokes a 5 year state-level gun ban, meaning that if I move, Cali can't do anything about it. Anyway, after moving around a bunch, I ended up in Vegas. Changed residencies and got an NV ID, and low and behold, I have my gun rights back. Yay!

Bought a Glock 17 from a private seller. Took about 10 hours worth of classes just so I'd know how to use and maintain it--and most importantly, be safe with it. Great. Things go well for a while. Then I get kicked out due to an argument with the person I was living with. Out on the streets. Left the gun in a safe with someone I trust so I wouldn't have to have it on me all the time. Then my girlfriend breaks up with me. That sucked. Ended up moving here from Vegas to go to school and rebuild my life... Up until she gets a protective order against me for "stalking" her. It was really out of vindictiveness and anger, and most of all, to have control over me. She twisted the situation into something it completely wasn't. So I had the hearing, couldn't get my family to pitch in for an attorney. Had an extremely manipulative judge who wouldn't listen to a damn word I was saying, and instead asked me questions out of context without letting me explain anything, all the while I was presenting on-paper evidence that proved I hadn't stalked her (at least according to the I.C. 35-45-10). He ignored it and maintained the order. Brady disqualified for two years. That means I'll get my gun rights when I'm 20--or if my ex decides to drop it. Pretty sure the judge knew the petitioner and her "witnesses". It was in a county about an hour northwest, so typical small town politics on top of that. And now, all of a sudden, my family is willing to help me with legal fees. After I lost. Heh. Figures.

I know this is my first post. I'm just irritated with this whole gun situation. Not once have I ever thought of hurting anyone with it. Second time that I've had my constitutional right stripped from me without due process. I guess I just have bad luck.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation?

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Live in a free state and don't date worthless females. A female that will hurt you legally in that context out of vindictness and anger is not someone you should want to be in a relationship with.

If you decide not to possess a firearm because the "law" says you cant that's your mistake. Live free.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    wait.. did you just tell him to possess a firearm illegally? SURE!! let him lose those 2A rights for good...

ps, welcome to INGO

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How do you lose a right?

Someone takes it from you. I tend to be controversial in many of my opinions, so I'll just add another. Everyone does not have rights. Everyone may be entitled to them, but that has never been actually realized. The concept simply runs afoul of human nature. The only way the concept of "rights" works is if every one recognized and defended those that were deprived of them. As we all know, that's not the case. The only one that ensures that your rights remain intact, is YOU.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Everybody makes mistakes and life is NOT fair. Do what you can for the time being and get your life straightened out. It's better that you loose your rights for a short time than forever. If you can afford it, lawyer up and fight. Hang in there and stay out of trouble.

Welcome to INGO and Indiana!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    :welcome: to INGO quewing. Even if everything you said happened exactly the way you said it, I'm sure if you'll think back on those situations that put you in the position you find yourself now, there are things they you did that you've learned were probably not the best of ideas and had you not done them or approached them differently, you would have written a less dramatic introductory post. Good luck and welcome aboard.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Get your life together first.... then worry about your guns.. Sounds like you need a little help with some anger issues. You are young and have the rest of your life to play with guns after the court order. Just stay out of trouble. Good luck.

:welcome: To INGO

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Time heals all woulds. Choose your friends and romantic involvements well, work hard and get on with life. Things will work out in the end if you do your part. And again, STAY AWAY FROM CRAZY!!!! It's not worth it and you will not be able to fix it.

Weird first post, but welcome aboard.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Welcome aboard! As others have said:
    1) Focus on getting your life on a good track. (The other stuff won't mean squat when you're older).
    2) Save up some cash for those life nut kicking moments.
    3) Lots of crazy girls out there, STAY away from crazy, it will ruin your present & future!

2 years will go fast, use it to learn, research, & learn some more.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Welcome to INGO. At 18, two years sounds like forever. But it's not. As others said, just do some introspection, stay out of trouble, and look at the two years as the time you get to save up for what's next on your buy list.

All that said, this thread seems ripe for a spoof.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    All this by 18? As others have said, that's a lot of junk in such a short life. Heck, I have underwear older than you. :laugh:

But seriously, you have some issues. At the rate you're going, you'll be incarcerated by the time you're 21, and it's bound to be somebody else's fault. Don't let that happen. Slow down, do some serious introspection, get an education and grow up a little before you tackle the responsibility of owning firearms.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    A few have touched on it, but I figured I'd lay it out for you. All I got from your post is that you think you're the victim in your mess. You're not. Two different times, your actions got you into the trouble, not someone else. First time, you decided to run your mouth and your words got you into trouble. Second time, even if the girl is some nutty, vindictive *****, I can guarantee that you saw warning signs long before the drama started. You chose to ignore those signs, and you decided that either you could handle it or it wasn't that big of a deal and it bit you in the ass.

Don't worry, life goes on and it's all uphill from here. You can choose to learn from your mistakes, or you can continue to be the victim everyone is against ,and you'll keep making posts like your original.

Sounds harsh? Reality is. Sorry.

Top Bottom