Went to the zoo today.. man has it changed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    But we did enjoy the minimal crowd.
    Entrance now takes you through the garden area before coming to the old main entrance.

There is a caged bridge for some monkies to go through from the entrance to who knows where.

The sea horse exhibit flat out sucks even more than it did when they put it in.

The shark petting area seemed to only have a few specimens.

Gift shop, cafes and vending machines were closed.

On the bright side the animals were moving and it was freefor us to get in/park.

1000009356.jpg 1000009281.jpg 1000009265.jpg 1000009195.jpg 1000009177.jpg 1000009151.jpg 1000009129.jpg 1000009074.jpg 1000009236.jpg

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    But we did enjoy the minimal crowd.
    Entrance now takes you through the garden area before coming to the old main entrance.

There is a caged bridge for some monkies to go through from the entrance to who knows where.

The sea horse exhibit flat out sucks even more than it did when they put it in.

The shark petting area seemed to only have a few specimens.

Gift shop, cafes and vending machines were closed.

On the bright side the animals were moving and it was freefor us to get in/park.

View attachment 337623 View attachment 337624 View attachment 337625 View attachment 337627 View attachment 337628 View attachment 337629 View attachment 337630 View attachment 337631 View attachment 337626
    I like going to the zoo, but once youve been its pretty much the same every year. Maybe a new pile of poo being flung at a new unsuspecting person, thats usually the highlight.

I once saw 2 monkeys fight over a piece of bubble gum that someone threw into the exhibit. It was both sad, and hilarious.

We plan on going camping this year and going to the St. Louis zoo. I havent been since I was a kid, but I loved it. Youre always pretty much going to see the same animals, with a few different ones at different zoos, but the exhibits and the vibe is completely different, so worth the trip for the kids.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I like going to the zoo, but once youve been its pretty much the same every year. Maybe a new pile of poo being flung at a new unsuspecting person, thats usually the highlight.

I once saw 2 monkeys fight over a piece of bubble gum that someone threw into the exhibit. It was both sad, and hilarious.

We plan on going camping this year and going to the St. Louis zoo. I havent been since I was a kid, but I loved it. Youre always pretty much going to see the same animals, with a few different ones at different zoos, but the exhibits and the vibe is completely different, so worth the trip for the kids.
    I'd rather go to the Cincinnati zoo but I won a years membership from a raffle at work. So atleast for a year its good entertainment for our son.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Ya thats another one that used to be decent when i was a kid. Would love to go back and see whats changed
    Last year was our first time going. We loved it.

Easier to see animals, larger viewing sreas to see the animals.

Even the walk way areas made you feel like you were someplace else other than a zoo or Cincinnati.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    A great Zoo is Columbus OH zoo
    Jack Hannah's the curator i think.
    That orangutan in the photos looks deep in thought. Apes have always amazed me. Chimps Gorillas orangutans. 99% of our DNA.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    A great Zoo is Columbus OH zoo
    Jack Hannah's the curator i think.
    That orangutan in the photos looks deep in thought. Apes have always amazed me. Chimps Gorillas orangutans. 99% of our DNA.
    Yeah Jack Hannah was the curator, but he stepped down several years ago. I believe it was due to alzheimer's. Not sure if he's still living or not. I've been to the Columbus Zoo many times. I've been there around Halloween for boo at the zoo, and for Christmas lights at the zoo and several other times.

Last edited:

ShotgunGuitarist

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2024
    Nashville, IN
    Last time I went to the zoo the Orangutan exhibit bummed me right out. I locked eyes with an older male Orangutan, who had a large beard. I also have a big beard, and he noticed and made reference to it with his hands. He looked at me, and I could totally read the sadness on his face. He wanted out. I didn’t blame him. It was stale, stagnant, and unbecoming a man of his stature. I’ve eaten meat my whole life, and I have hunted an awful lot of game, but a whitetail deer in the woods lives like a deer and dies like a deer. That old man didn’t belong there. I’ve actually never been back to the zoo. I’m sure there’s scientific reasons for a lot of what they do, but it still didn’t sit right with me. Might be an unpopular opinion, but it wouldn’t be my first…. So be it!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Get a job where they put you in a cubicle. Pretty much the same thing
    So true.
    Hated that job so much I spent 2/3 my day on INGO.

Then my department got laid off and my highschool friend/boss/part owner of the company never said a word to me/us again. Never did get to thank him for it.

Top Bottom