Were your parents nuts when you were a kid?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My mother was nuts when I was a kid and she's nuts now if she's still alive. I wouldn't trust her to raise a puppy. The most reasonable thing she ever did for us was to give me and my sister away.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    No pins in our house. Dad would use the belt when called upon but it had to be really serious for him to get involved so it was only a couple of times over the years. Mom used wooden spoons, spatulas, flyswats... whatever she could grab. She like to make us go out and cut our own switch too. So when not in school, I would eat a bowl of cereal and head for the woods, creek, neighbors... and stay gone until supper.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    My mother was the sadistic parent, my brother and I would get a beating with what ever she could find usually it was a extension cord or a garden hose if we were out side but she had a way with a coat hanger that would make us shake with fear. But I still would take that than what she would do to my sisters. Her favorite thing to do was to drive them to JC Penny or Sears and give them their spankings there so not only did you get spanked but you got teased by all your friends at school.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    I am the oldest of 4. My parents usually used just their hands.... Until I really did something bad.... then mom had a wooden paddle hanging on the wall about 3/4" thick with a cutout of a heart on it. I ended up with a few heart-shaped welts on my backside in my day. Looking back, I deserved every one of them and am a better person for it. I was a real pain in the rear to my parents for a while. It took going off to college for me to realize just how great my parents were (are).

Unfortunately my youngest sister (13 years younger) was not spanked growing up and it shows. She does not show my parents the kind of respect they deserve. I only hope she matures soon before she does something really stupid. She's 20 now...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When we got too big for mom to intimidate us, she outsourced the disciplinary actions to dad. I remember, more than once, "hiding" out in the bedroom when it was time for dad to come home. Sometimes he never came looking for us--I don't know if mom simply forgot or if she was playing psyops on us...and we never asked. :D

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    My dad gave me a big cigar to smoke and a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon to drink on my 6th birthday. I thought it was great at the time.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I never felt that way about my parents. But I have often felt sorry for them, I can't imagine having to raise a kid like I was. I once asked my dad how it was that he didn't lose his temper with me more often when I was younger. He just grinned and said, "self defense". :)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My dad gave me a big cigar to smoke and a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon to drink on my 6th birthday. I thought it was great at the time.

Are you related to this kid? :):
    Baby-Beer-Cig_zpsb78ab352.jpg

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I learned hotwheels track stings like a biotch.

We had Miles of that track growing up and I swear much of it crossed our butts (when needed). We also had the SWITCH. The small flexible tree branch. And the swat was not the bad part; the bad part was watching mom walk ALL the way out to the tree to get it and then to watch her walk ALL the way back. There was a lot of time to think about consequences there. We tell this story at family get togethers, Mom denies it all. She says we make her sound like a child abuser. Three things make this untrue 1) We (almost) always deserved it. 2) It was not a daily thing, just enough to remind us we didnt want it often. 3) We are NOW reviewing this thru todays eyes, not in the context of when it happened. We have great folks.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Speaking of cigars. My dad caught me and my brother sneaking a cigarette and made us smoke a cigar and eat some chilli for dinner. I swear we both turned 3 shades of green. :puke:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    OP:

I know times are/were different... But honestly, to me, that sounds more like abuse than loving discipline. Maybe that's just me. Stabbing/poking with a pin? Seriously? Throwing dishes in a tantrum? Not cool.

In my life: I know there were plenty of times that what I'd done didn't deserve a swat or two...but that balances out quite well with as many times as I didn't get swatted when I probably should have.

A lot changed one day when I told my mom: "You know, just because you have a bad day at work doesn't mean you should take it out on me." I was 6 or 7 when I said that.

-J-

My mother was and still is a truly amazing woman. Yes, she had a pin in her visor. A diaper pin. It was so dull you could barely stab butter with it. She never drew blood, but the thought of a huge pin was still scary. I wouldn't say her throwing the dishes was a "tantrum" either. Four little kids running in and out of my kitchen screaming at the top of their lungs, pulling each others' hair, and tracking crap all over a newly mopped floor? Yeah I probably would have thrown down the dishes too. And yeah if I had told my mom not to take her bad day out on me my butt would have met the back side of that pink hairbrush. Then again when I was a kid my mom stayed at home. That might be another reason she was fed up with the way we acted. I've been a stay at home parent. I can be very frustrating

Top Bottom