• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that the guy in the photo ended up dead as result. Does that count as stupid has consequences?

I don't believe that is true. Off the top of my head he didn't end up being killed, button because of this. He was drafted, and died on the battlefield. That's what I think I remember. I'm going to go look it up now.

Edit: His name was August Landmesser. He didn't get into trouble over not saluting, but he did get into trouble for dating a Jewish woman, was sent to prison, and eventually drafted into a penal battalion and killed in Croatia. He was identified by his daughter from the picture, though another family claims it to be their relative, Gustav Wegert.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't believe that is true. Off the top of my head he did end up being killed, button because of this. He was drafted, and died on the battlefield. That's what I think I remember. I'm going to go look it up now.

That's what I recall, but I believe he was conscripted as a prisoner, in other words he was impressed into military service as a criminal....which was particularly brutal service.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Sure . . Google is always correct.
    No need to think pass that.

Google may manipulate search results, but regardless of that it is a gateway to many sources of information. Perhaps this is news to you?

If you don't like Google, there is also Bing, DuckDuckGo, and other search engines. Googling is also commonly known as a generic term for searching on the internet. Perhaps this is news to you as well?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I don't believe that is true. Off the top of my head he didn't end up being killed, button because of this. He was drafted, and died on the battlefield. That's what I think I remember. I'm going to go look it up now.

Edit: His name was August Landmesser. He didn't get into trouble over not saluting, but he did get into trouble for dating a Jewish woman, was sent to prison, and eventually drafted into a penal battalion and killed in Croatia. He was identified by his daughter from the picture, though another family claims it to be their relative, Gustav Wegert.

That's what I recall, but I believe he was conscripted as a prisoner, in other words he was impressed into military service as a criminal....which was particularly brutal service.

Good info and a hell of a way to go out...forced to fight for something you abhor. Seems it would have been wise to lay low in public view and pull some clandestine resistance shenanigans when you can get away with it. Hell, after his arrest, even a suicide fragging of one of the overseeing officers would have been a good idea. It seems like a bad idea to attract negative attention to yourself in a way that does nothing to tangibly oppose whatever it is that you are so against when the physical risks to yourself are quite high. Ineffective symbolism at high physical risk just doesn't make sense to me, YMMV.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    It is from West Virginia right? Wouldn't the BYRD be Senator Byrd, the long serving Democrat Senator from West Virginia that was a high ranking KKK member?!?!

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I can see it now...

Photographer: “everybody who’s glad to have graduated training, raise your hand”

Trainees: *raises hands*

*snaps picture*

CNN: “Trump presidency shows increase in Nazi prison workers”

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It is from West Virginia right? Wouldn't the BYRD be Senator Byrd, the long serving Democrat Senator from West Virginia that was a high ranking KKK member?!?!

Finally, someone who know what "Byrd" means in West Virginia....but in this case, I think it was a reference to their chief trainer, but the Byrd family reach is deep and wide in WV,

Top Bottom