• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wildbill86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2020
    Indianapolis
    That is a great question! I have been doing gun shows for 10 plus years and going to them since a child ...I also frequent gun stores alot and I hear people talking about there gun collections as they have many and the numbers I most here are 10,15,20 and 25 about tops it out ...imo. that's a fair amount and a good start personally I'm in the 150 plus range and I utilize a gun room/vault to store most of them and I at times forget I own certain guns and will run across them when looking or getting out another that I do remember...
    Anyway imo.. (we all have one ) i would say "big" is around the 100 firearms mark ..also I'm new to this sight and this is my first post/reply ...i hope I've done it right and not offended anyone

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Based on what I see amongst the public, I will go with 6 or more. Most people accept that others have a rifle and shotgun to hunt with, a handgun (maybe a pocket gun), a 22 rifle, and a fun or serious gun like an AR. That puts us at 6. Which is >5. 5 being a common number. More then 10 guns would make many heads spin.

More then 1000 rounds is a pile of ammo. INGO would poke fun at that idea. But I can tell you from working in a gun shop that most people do not buy more then 2-3 boxes at a time. Most but a single box for a range trip. Most hunting rifles leave with a single 20 round box. Most ARs leave with fewer then 100 rounds and most people probably only own 2-3 magazines.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    My collection has its own incorporation papers, its own lawyer on retainer, its own bank account, a separate safe for stamps, receipts, log books, etc, and a spreadsheet broken down by antique/C&R/modern, machine gun/suppressor/SBR/combination gun/rifle/shotgun/pistol/revolver or "other" including flare launchers and flamethrowers.

And a short pallet of ammo in the garage.

I don't mind if someone calls that a "big" collection.

Though I still don't match J.M. Davis.

Here's most of the revolvers.

20180325170631-a3b48970-la.jpg

And one of the cooler ones.

20180518163403-ea36871f-la.jpg

TexasRedneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Texas - where else?<G>
    I always have to laugh when this question arises.....I have 5 safes, in which reside somewhere north of 150 or so firearms - including 87 1911's. My largest safe resides at a gun shop I'm a partner in - it's 7' tall, 6' wide, and weighs 5,000 lbs. We moved it (and the longer guns I have that won't fit in the other safes) because we needed to store some Class III's that we transfer and/or work on (we're an 02/07). I'm getting ready to update my inventory, so should have a more accurate number later this year - plus, my "overflow" safe in the garage is beyond full, so I'll be posting some out to Gunbroker in the coming weeks. I had a busy time the past few months with some estates that I purchased guns from, so I need to sort through them again to decide which ones I'm gonna keep for sure. As far as ammo goes.....geez, I honestly don't know for sure, but well over 100k rounds. The media would have a field day trying to come up with describing what's within these walls.....lol

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    That is a great question! I have been doing gun shows for 10 plus years and going to them since a child ...I also frequent gun stores alot and I hear people talking about there gun collections as they have many and the numbers I most here are 10,15,20 and 25 about tops it out ...imo. that's a fair amount and a good start personally I'm in the 150 plus range and I utilize a gun room/vault to store most of them and I at times forget I own certain guns and will run across them when looking or getting out another that I do remember...
    Anyway imo.. (we all have one ) i would say "big" is around the 100 firearms mark ..also I'm new to this sight and this is my first post/reply ...i hope I've done it right and not offended anyone
    Welcome, and if you didn't offend anyone you most certainly didn't do it right.
    Good info though, just exactly the type of answer I was interested in when I read the OP's question.

Whitey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Connersville
    If you know how many firearms you have without using your spreadsheet you need a few more. I would say if a good old boy had 100 in his collection, he would have a nice start. If it is a collection one would need plenty of ammo for all pieces of art

Bobshell1968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    Bunker hill
    Big gun collection.

Curious to know what INGO thinks is a “big” gun collection. When the media says a guy has an arsenal with 5+ guns, what do people who know about guns think is a large collection???
    Well I've got more than 5...hell I've got big bad scary looking AR's. But I do have 2 50 gun safes full of nice weapons. All mine and all be side we can. So if ole ass whipe joe wants them, he's gonna have to come get them. He will probably want to do push-ups for them. Good luck old man...:cool:

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Well I've got more than 5...hell I've got big bad scary looking AR's. But I do have 2 50 gun safes full of nice weapons. All mine and all be side we can. So if ole ass whipe joe wants them, he's gonna have to come get them. He will probably want to do push-ups for them. Good luck old man...:cool:

Two 50 gun safes??? You must be able to fit like 18 rifles in there :laugh:

Sterndern11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2018
    Zionsville
    I would say that any time you cant list them all off the top of your head, or occasionally find ones you forgot you owned, you have a (small) collection. Although if your memory is like mine, that could be any number larger than 6 :n00b:.

The difference between small collection and large collection, may be the difference between one and two pages of your inventory list.

If you break into triple digits I think that certainly qualifies as a big collection. At that point you've crossed the boundary from "guns needed for defense, fun, and competition", into "I just love freedom and want to be able to arm the whole neighborhood for when big scary Beto brings his tact nukes to town".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    It wasn't Bea toff bringing the nukes. It was Swallows Well.

Most gun safes are just sheet metal you can cut with a battery powered saw. I had Johnson Safe make mine of 3/8" plate.

Top Bottom