• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I shoot RWS subsonics in my CZ ultra lux, with it's 29" inch barrel the plunk when it hits the squirrel is nearly as loud as the shot. They're very accurate but kinda expensive. I think CCI subsonics might work nearly as well.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I chuckled at this!

Pretty uncommon on the internet, actually. So much so that you just about set up to be defensive when you directly disagree with someone, as though that's such a terrible thing.

I will say I shot a BUNCH of squirrels with a .22 WMR and Remington 33's. THOSE were more frequently (and could be) 75+ yards. Hit's a good rifle. Head shots only, and you're really better to keep it towards the front; I've seen jacket frag end up in between the shoulders, as unlikely as that may seem.

-Nate

Shot my first squirrel with my Grandpa's Marlin 57M. Still hunt with WMR occasionally. Found an Izhmash 7-2 that shoots the Federal 50 grain hp well. They don't tear 'em up as bad as those 33 grainers.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    They don't tear 'em up as bad as those 33 grainers.

That wouldn't take much! Those premiers are nasty...not as bad as the TNT though.

The only reason I chose to use them was because they were SO accurate in that rifle. That trumps everything except power, for which I still keep a box of CCI 40 grain +V around.

-Nate

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    That wouldn't take much! Those premiers are nasty...not as bad as the TNT though.

The only reason I chose to use them was because they were SO accurate in that rifle. That trumps everything except power, for which I still keep a box of CCI 40 grain +V around.

-Nate

Yeah. I have aBrno 611 that only likes that high speed, lightweight stuff. Think I'm gonna make it my truck gun for opportunity coyotes and crows.
    :hijack:

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    As the OP has surmised by this discussion, favorite .22 squirrel rounds are a numerous as INGO members that squirrel hunt. Personally, my old Winchester 74 loves CCI Mini-Mag hollow points and I've never had an issue with not dropping a squirrel with a head shot.

Top Bottom