• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I shot 500 of them....and won't be buying any more.

They claim they won't lead a suppressor, all my loads were subsonic, and they leaded my Saker. Couple good mag dumps with 5.56 and 308 cleaned it out well but you can still see a little shiny lead spew in there.

A friend of mine tried their Hitek coated bullets, and he returned them, way too fat for the diameter, even with a .30 flaring die and the few he did seat and try, wouldn't chamber.

Picked up a pound of 1680 but have yet to try it, loaded all the MBCs with 5744, hilariously dirty but they were quiet.

Kinda want to try these

.30 Caliber - Leatherhead Bullets LLC

But.......I might just have to wait until someone, hopefully, develops a heavy plated .30 cal bullet (cough xtreme cough) before I shoot my blackout in much quantity

Might have to give Leatherhead a try... :yesway: for the link.

An Uncle gave me a batch of Barnes Tipped TAC-TX Bullets 300 AAC Blackout/ 300 Whisper (308 on top of LilGun. They are very accurate but $$$.

Currently running some H 125 and 110's.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Figured I'd bump this thread.

After 2.5-3 years, and 3 name changes (Powerbond-Highborne-Accura), there is finally a 200gr plated 30 cal bullet.

https://accuraoutdoors.com/product/30-caliber-200gr-spitzer-point/

Picked up a 100 of them to try and couldn't be happier. Bullet weight is super consistent, feeds easily in my AR, and best of all, about the same price as lead and with the copper plating no worries about leading a suppressor :yesway:

Ordered 500 the other day

They are a flat base bullet, so for easy of seating I did keep the slight belling on the brass that I used with the hard cast bullets

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Have you shot right the plated bullets yet? I've been eyeballing some but am concerned about the feed ramps damaging the plating and possibly damaging the suppressor.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Figured I'd bump this thread.

After 2.5-3 years, and 3 name changes (Powerbond-Highborne-Accura), there is finally a 200gr plated 30 cal bullet.

https://accuraoutdoors.com/product/30-caliber-200gr-spitzer-point/

Picked up a 100 of them to try and couldn't be happier. Bullet weight is super consistent, feeds easily in my AR, and best of all, about the same price as lead and with the copper plating no worries about leading a suppressor :yesway:

Ordered 500 the other day

They are a flat base bullet, so for easy of seating I did keep the slight belling on the brass that I used with the hard cast bullets

What's your recipe? Any chrono numbers? I'm interested...

:ingo:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm probably wrong about this, but won't lead bullets cause problems with the gas system?
    I know that Magnum Research specifically advises against lead fired from their Desert Eagle guns for that very reason, but maybe the AR platform isn't a problem with lead?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

What's your recipe? Any chrono numbers? I'm interested...

:ingo:

I have a chrono, but it's on the fritz and it's like 10 degrees outside so F that. All I know using 1680 they're subsonic from 11.5gr-7gr. Charges from those range cycle the action completely, but on 7gr the bolt hangs on the magazine follower on the last round and not the bolt catch. And from that powder range bullets are stable at 50 yards. Current load I'm toying with is 8.4gr, with a 8.5" barrel and can, at the moment it's roughly 1.5 MOA at 50 yards, but it was pretty damn cold that morning and I was shaking.

I'm probably wrong about this, but won't lead bullets cause problems with the gas system?
    I know that Magnum Research specifically advises against lead fired from their Desert Eagle guns for that very reason, but maybe the AR platform isn't a problem with lead?

Never noticed lead in the gas tube or blown back in the action, I never pushed those hard but they just leaded my suppressor, the ojive of the bullet was too far forward so they had to be seated quite a bit back, and even for being super hard lead, they scared easy. Plus 5477 works in 300blk subs but it sure don't burn all the way. I have 5744 sticks all over the place in the action of my pistol

Desert Eagles are hell on brass and bullets, probably why they state not to use lead. Probably way too much scaring, or the lead drags too easy and might get hung up during feeding?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have a chrono, but it's on the fritz and it's like 10 degrees outside so F that. All I know using 1680 they're subsonic from 11.5gr-7gr. Charges from those range cycle the action completely, but on 7gr the bolt hangs on the magazine follower on the last round and not the bolt catch. And from that powder range bullets are stable at 50 yards. Current load I'm toying with is 8.4gr, with a 8.5" barrel and can, at the moment it's roughly 1.5 MOA at 50 yards, but it was pretty damn cold that morning and I was shaking.

Never noticed lead in the gas tube or blown back in the action, I never pushed those hard but they just leaded my suppressor, the ojive of the bullet was too far forward so they had to be seated quite a bit back, and even for being super hard lead, they scared easy. Plus 5477 works in 300blk subs but it sure don't burn all the way. I have 5744 sticks all over the place in the action of my pistol

Desert Eagles are hell on brass and bullets, probably why they state not to use lead. Probably way too much scaring, or the lead drags too easy and might get hung up during feeding?

Thanks for the info.
    According to what I read when I first heard about MR advising against lead in their DE, they said that the lead would shave and could damage the gas operating system.

Top Bottom