• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unionblue19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Kind of wanting to dabble in rifle shooting world and kind of woundering what a good target range with low end of the stopping power if ever needed with budget in mind. If there ever a good mix of Target, stoping, and budget for gun and ammo. Was looking at .223 but kind of thinking want more stoping power if I ever want to deer hunt or who knows but, I don't want to go to high and have bullet that is high price and have a mule kick of a recoil.
    So what rifle out has a good mix for budget minded target shoot but want to keep it on the low end of the stoping power spectrum and yet want to get a decent target rifle?

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Kind of wanting to dabble in rifle shooting world and kind of woundering what a good target range with low end of the stopping power if ever needed with budget in mind. If there ever a good mix of Target, stoping, and budget for gun and ammo. Was looking at .223 but kind of thinking want more stoping power if I ever want to deer hunt or who knows but, I don't want to go to high and have bullet that is high price and have a mule kick of a recoil.
    So what rifle out has a good mix for budget minded target shoot but want to keep it on the low end of the stoping power spectrum and yet want to get a decent target rifle?
    Ak47. in 5.45x39

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Savage Model 10 FCP in .308win. Or if yourjust wanting something to plink around with, get a Stevens200 in .308win. The money yousave on buying he rifle you could get a decent piece of glass and could even upgrade the stock

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A bolt gun in .243. Or a single shot in .243. If I read your question correctly. The .243 is a significant step up from the 223 but will not overwhelm you with recoil. And it is good for deer too, in those states that allow rifle cartridges.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    A bolt gun in .243. Or a single shot in .243. If I read your question correctly. The .243 is a significant step up from the 223 but will not overwhelm you with recoil. And it is good for deer too, in those states that allow rifle cartridges.
    sloughfoot is correct, the 243 WIN. is the answer:yesway:

unionblue19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Kokomo, Indiana
    The 308 what I was kind of stumble on before I did this apb. The round cost is not to bad and it seem to be a good middle ground for target and stoping power.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    You can get a 243 in a Thompson Center Venture for under $500. The rifle/scope combos that you see in some stores are somewhat ok, but you get what you pay for. I got the T/C Venture in 243 and have had it accurate out to 300 yards. I didn't try it out any farther than that due to time constraints. I'm sure I could have been accurate out to 600 yards and maybe more. For hunting, the 243 is a fine cartrige. You can hunt everything from prarie dogs to deer. And everything in between.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Best ceterfire rifle on a budget IMO for is the Marlin XS7 or XL7. ~$300-$350.

Available in .243 Win, 7mm-08, .308 Win, .25-06, .270 Win, .30-06

For around the same money, maybe a bit less you can get a Savage Axis (aka EDGE) rifle with a few more caliber choices.

For MUCH less expensive ammo you're going to want to stick to .223 (5.56 NATO, lots of guns to choose from), 7.62x39 (AK-style and SKS), 5.45x39 (AK-74 style), 7.62x54 (Mosin Nagant).

Now, except for the .223/5.56 none of the others are really going to be particularly accurate "target" rifles. If you are happy with 2.5" - 5" groups at 100 yards then go for it. A Chinese SKS was my choice when I went shopping 20 years ago for a cheap shooter. For what it is I couldn't be happier. I can hold the black on a 100 yard NRA target. With younger eyes I used to shoot 3" groups with it. With Chinese surplus ammo.

There is a CZ rifle and a Savage rifle that are bolt action and shoot the 7.62x39. Both of those rifles will likely shoot circles around the AK or SKS with good ammo and will probably still shoot the steel cased stuff into 2"-3" groups. The rifles aren't exactly "cheap" though.

Savage Arms Firearms > 10 FCM Scout
    CZ-USA -> CZ 527 Carbine

I have a lot of fun with my Kel-Tec SU-16A (~$450). On a good day (I've gotten astigmatism in my "old" age) I can shoot 2.5" groups with XM193 ammo. I would call the .223 the "low end" on stopping power.

I wouldn't call a .308 "low end of stoppin power", but since you mention deer I would say that the 25 and 26 caliber rifles are right where I would want to be if it were legal here. As "target" calibers go the .243 Win and the .260 Rem are right up there with minimal recoil, and are very versatile from varmint to deer. For hunting calibers the 7mm and .30 caliber cartridges are probably the most versatile (and I'll include the .270 in with the 7mm's since it sooo close). The 26/6.5 caliber right there in the mix too.

You can also get a H&R or Rossi single shot rifle for around $250-$300 in several calibers. H&R will put new barrels on your rifle, and Rossi now has the "Wizard" rifles too, both for less that the T/C rifles. With the Rossi you can get a 7.62x39 barrel for cheap shooting, a .454 Casull for Indiana deer hunting, a 50 cal muzzleloader barrel to extend your season, a .22LR for plinking and squirrel hunting, a .243 for varmints to deer, and a .35 Whelen for everything bigger. Even shotgun barrels. The H&R has similar options.

unionblue19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Kokomo, Indiana
    11fcns.png

Model: 11 FCNS
    Series: HunterAccuTrigger: YesSights: Drilled and tapped for scope mountsAccuStock : YesMagazine: Detachable boxStock material: SyntheticBarrel material: Carbon SteelStock finish: MatteBarrel finish: SatinStock color: BlackBarrel color: BluedAction:ShortHanded: Right

This has kind of peek my intrest and all those cal fall under the same price from the .223 to .308. and reviews on this model?

Top Bottom