• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I started off the morning sitting at the computer and drinking coffee with the door open. The squirrels, crickets and birds were all talking. I was feeling sorry for all the city people out there. I sit in the middle of my 60 acres of hilly unglaciated land in the southern part of the state and the sky was blue, the air cool and the leaves are coming into color.

I am always ready to do more timber stand improvement on the place, grape vines and Autumn Olive are always popping up. When I bought the place over 30 years ago I had grape vines as big around as a saucer on the trees and wild black raspberries grow in every shady spot.

Today I was going to push some of the dead standing cedar trees down with the tractor and into one of several sinkholes I have around. I was making good work out of it using the loader on the tractor but it is always tough navigating on the heavily sloped ground. The soil type is mainly Hagerstown which is a silty/sandy loam that will grow anything. The low areas are Hammon. I am blessed with a wonderful species mix of trees. Walnut, Shag Bark Hickory, Cherry, Blackjack Oak, Black Oak, Chestnut Oak, Red Oak and White Oak just to name a few. I also have a gracious plenty of Persimmon trees, not the gathering in to make pudding kind you find in a yard but the 50+ foot tall woods kind that keep the game walking from one to another all fall and early winter.

I had chose to go from the house to the south which crosses my driveway twice, I have over 3/4's of a mile of gravel drive which is a chore to maintain in its own right. I had been working for about 5 hours when I found myself a ground hornets nest. I think it was under the right side of the tractor because I have no feeling on the outside of my right leg from surgery and they had chewed me up pretty good by the time they hit a tender spot. Here I am on the hillside pushing into a sinkhole in low range when I find myself in a black and yellow tornado.

My hat comes off and I am swatting handfuls of the angry rascals with one hand while swatting and shifting gears with the other. I was wearing shorts and they found there way up my right leg in a hurry. I said and honest prayer, "Oh Lord, take the pain but leave the swelling!" It took a while to get pointed the right way without hitting any of my trees and scuzzing the bark. I got to the house and scraped the stingers out and sprayed with antiperspirant. As close as I can tell thirty to forty got me. I had them in the pockets of my shorts and a couple flew off when I lifted my shirt. I even found a dead one in my underwear.

I guess I won't go back to that spot until next year, mean while, I broke out my LP gas powered weed burner and set to edging around the trees in the drive, I wonder what I can find there...

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I had a similar experience with them and wearing shorts.
    My wife and I were at the cabin doing yard work. I was going to just wear shoes and a hat on a beautiful fall day. She told m....talked me into wearing shorts. Hit a nice nest with a weed eater. Son of a BI/;$!!!!!! I used gas. Lots of gas. We found five or six more nests that day.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Careful on the tractorin' in the woods, man.

Not that long ago there was an IMPD officer down clearing some of his land near Bedford. Tractor pulled on a vine; pulled a huge branch down and hit him. He died on his tractor. Former INGOer / neighbor / friend found him after he didn't return with the tractor after several hours. :-(

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Careful on the tractorin' in the woods, man.

Not that long ago there was an IMPD officer down clearing some of his land near Bedford. Tractor pulled on a vine; pulled a huge branch down and hit him. He died on his tractor. Former INGOer / neighbor / friend found him after he didn't return with the tractor after several hours. :-(
    I have had my problems with the tractor in the woods. Cracked my skull and got several staples in my scalp from a falling tree top. Guess I like my land more than my wellbeing but I keep going back...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have stepped in hornet holes a time or two and got stung about a dozen times. Felt a little nausea for an hour or so, and then I went to war with the little demons.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    The yellow jackets seem worse than usual this year. I got stung 4-5 times after stirring them up with the mower. I have bush hogging that needs done but hoping if I do it early on one of these cool mornings it might be a little safer.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I just got done with all my mowing for the year. No more incidents with the flying plague but I did have two coyotes in the field with me the whole time I mowed. One of them has been out every fall while I mow for 4 years now, the other is new. I got within 20 yards of each of them several times, no bites to report...

Top Bottom