• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Was heading home on the highway after work last night. Hit a tread from a semi that took out my radiator. While I was sitting in the car on hold with onstar, there was a shooting on the highway in front of me. I see where Chicago get its numbers. I was there waiting and talking to state police for three hours. Someone ended up dead...

All I could think about was how much I wish I could carry there.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    It's a shame that the law considers you a criminal there if you carry to protect yourself from the real criminals. So glad I don't have to ever deal with Chicago, aka 'Little Baghdad.'

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Insane.

I take it you witnessed the shooting? How far away?

I'm wondering what the hell I would be doing in an immobile situation with no firearm for self preservation. Probably try to make myself invisible.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I'm really starting to hate this place...

I was about 1000 ft from it, too close for comfort and too far to see who shot at who. I was able to describe a suspicious vehicle and how it appeared things went.

I ended up leaning back and kept my lights off the entire time.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    Must have been a police officer doin the shooting BC they are the only ones with guns... posted from the cell phone, pick your purple

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    As much as I enjoy the city of Chicago, I don't know if I can feel good about visiting there until something changes concerning their firearms laws. I, too, am glad the OP came through unscathed... More power to ya!

mwmroll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It's a shame that the law considers you a criminal there if you carry to protect yourself from the real criminals. So glad I don't have to ever deal with Chicago, aka 'Little Baghdad.'

I lived in Chicago for the 3 years b4 I moved back home last Spring. In my short time there I seen too many thefts on the subway or 'el' to count, i seen a homeless man take a knife to a guys throat on State St, and personally had been 'followed' quite frequently; given I lived downtown and visted the gf late at night all the time. First thing I did when I moved back to INDY was get my cc license and bought an LC9. Not too long after that I was walking back to my car near the War Memorial downtown when 3 guys started following me asking me about my cell phone and no they didnt wonder about the features of my new iphone. I was literally shadowed until I walked into the Starbucks on the circle when they decided to leave me alone. Given this had happened often in the greater Chicago area, something about me having my LC9 allowed me to concentrate to avoid confrontation and not necessarily be anxious. After this small event, I knew I would never be able to live back in Chicago, yet alone Illinois.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    And that is why I always have one in the car, no law can protect me from these ****ers and I'm not risking in losing a love one just because of these poorly though laws. And thank goodness I don't live in ILL minded state.

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Glad you are alright OP. Yes, that does sound like a heck of a night. Too bad Chicago isn't seen as the combat zone that it is and the people aren't allowed to defend themselves. Last time I went through Chicago (earlier this year) I made sure we had everything we needed to get out of Illinois before we got there. We were heading to Wisconsin. I treated it like driving through a DMZ. Lock the doors and go fast!

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Glad you are alright OP. Yes, that does sound like a heck of a night. Too bad Chicago isn't seen as the combat zone that it is and the people aren't allowed to defend themselves. Last time I went through Chicago (earlier this year) I made sure we had everything we needed to get out of Illinois before we got there. We were heading to Wisconsin. I treated it like driving through a DMZ. Lock the doors and go fast!

We'll be traveling through on the way to St. Louis probably early next year, and this is the plan.

Top Bottom