• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matodd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2011
    Delphi
    I am thinking about buying a Ruger 77/44 for my Deer rifle to use next year. I have seen both positive and negative reviews about them. If you have one or had one sometime ago ,please let me know what you think about them.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    My younger brother has one that he absolutely LOVES. For me, it kicks like crazy... after about 5 shots, I'm done! It's very lightweight, which is great to carry through the woods, and really accurate... but for me it translates into my shoulder taking a beating.

If I were looking at something like this for deer hunting, my size/frame would make it better for me to step down a bit to the 77/357 vs. the 44 version. I do love the bolt action on it, I think it's very smooth, and I like the trigger pretty well. Tell you what though, the 44 Mag packs some serious punch!

bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    I have the camo stainless version. I have to agree with Hopper the recoil is quite heavy (I am 6'3" & 260) and after 6 or so shots my shoulder had enough. On the plus side after putting a slip on after market recoil pad on it is great to shoot. It is accurate I am working on some different loads to see how small I can get the groups. Great gun overall.
    Matt

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I have the stainless 77/357 and I'm very happy with it. On the .357, the recoil is minor. I usually get sub 2" groups at 100yds and can't beat that with any of my other rifles.

Matt

Allenicomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Carmel Indiana
    I've had and used two of the Ruger 77/44, blued with traditional walnut stock as well as the Ruger 44 semi-auto carbine. I liked all of them (they're all gone as I've returned to handgunning for deer mostly.) I also picked up an AR platform Bushmaster 450, which I must say far exceeds any long-gun I've ever used for deer...shotguns and rifles included.

The Rugers are light, well balanced, accurate, and I've never noticed them to be uncomfortable per recoil. Certainly less than any 12 gauge slug guns I've used. I also liked the "feel" of using a bolt rifle to hunt deer in Indiana. 44 Mag is a good 100-125 yard cartridge.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bolt comes close to Leupold scope when using rings supplied.
    Using scopes with larger eyebells might be problematic.
    Taller rings screws up cheekweld..........getting face up off the stock screws up responsiveness of compact rig.
    Think it might be a dandy candidate for a peep.

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    My perfect setup on my 77/44 is the burris Fastfire just in front of the action, I love the combo, I usually hunt and keep my shots within 100yds

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I just purchased one at the end of October and it was too late in the season to get comfy with and use for deer. It is the camo/stainless version. I have shot it on one occasion at an indoor range with a max distance of 75 feet so I can not really say much about accuracy. It did not seem to be bad at all with the open sights and preferred Federal ammo over WWB and S&B after 60 rounds. I have since put a Leopold 1-4X20 shotgun scope on it and am eager for a range trip when the weather warms a bit. The bolt handle is very close to the scope when raised and needs to be palmed to throw back. I will say that the inner part of the supplied rings are pretty rough so I lapped them. I am also in the process of working up handloads to try on the next range trip. They will be with H110 powder and Hornady XTP's in both 240 and 300 grain. I am awaithing delivery of some Beartooth gas checked lead I want to try also. It appears to be a handy little carbine. As far as recoil goes I am not concerned for hunting since I don't plan on firing 100 shots at a deer. Like I've heard, one shot, deer. Two shots, maybe deer. Three shots, no deer. Here is a picture of the rough rings. Click to enlarge.

rugerrings2.jpg

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Here are a couple of pics with the bolt and scope. One is with the bolt just raised and the other has the bolt pulled back. A bit close but I can live with it.

rugerscope1.jpg rugerscope2.jpg

matodd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2011
    Delphi
    Thanks for your input, it looks like I may have to add one to my collection for next years deer season. I just need to find one now that I like, in the price range I want to pay.

vibrationeng

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    S. Indiana
    I had 3 one shot kills with mine this year. Last year I used a 77/357 and killed 3 with it but the deer traveled much further before dying. Mine is the blued with walnut stock. I put a compact Burris 2X7 on it.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I have been jonesing for one with deer hunting in mind as I have no deer rifle now. I think I will hold off for a bit to see if the dnr adds all of those rifle cals to the list. If so, I will have a bunch of deer rifles over night.

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    I really like mine. I've got the synthetic stock and stainless. I put a 2-7 Leupold scope on it and it shoots great. Recoil bumps a little but not too bad, nothing like a 12 gauge pump.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The 77/44 is a great hunting rifle. My 77/44 has a synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel. I have a Leupold Rifleman 3-9X40 scope on it. I can shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards. I only weigh 170 pounds and don't find the recoil to be bad at all. I usually shoot 50-100 rounds out of the rifle when I take it to the range.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I've found through the years, when mounting ANY scope to ANY Ruger rifle, it really pays to lap the rings. This doesn't take very long, and it really improves the mismatch between the Ruger rings. Because the lineup of the scope is at the mercy of the milled receiver cuts, instead of drilled holes, the mismatch can be excessive. Lapping the rings really helps to correct this, and gives your scope much better contact area.

Top Bottom