What aftermarket parts to make a pt1911 more reliable?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnBoy1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Anybody happen to have any suggestions on what parts I would need to make this pt1911 Taurus more reliable and smoother to shoot with any of the aftermarket or replacmet parts? I've heard some of the cast parts inside are abit sub-par and would like to spiff it up a bit. Thanks.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    There are a lot of good quality aftermarket parts out there. I mostly go here for one stop shopping, great service and great parts www.fusionfirearms.com

As far as what it needs, is it giving you issues now? I have heard of the safeties breaking on the Taurus but really if it isn't broke why fix it? Having said that though I really don't follow that advice myself so never mind :)

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    what about it is not reliable? the pt1911 i had would not feed JHPs that well. I solved the issue by only using Speer Gold Dots. I guess the shape of the Dot bullets are more rounded like a FMJ bullet and so they weren't getting hung up.

JohnBoy1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Seems to work fine but I'm always wanting something to perform at it's best. I'm always out to make anything better if possible. Heard of stainless guide rod and different barrel bushings and extractors and what not.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    the only thing i would fix is the safety...the one i had seemed suspect. other than that, just change the recoil spring periodically and enjoy.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    full length guide rods do nothing more than make it a pain to field strip....barrel and bushing is another thing.....measure the outer of you barrel and the inter of you slide where the bushing goes and order one from these guys.....best money you'll spend...

btw good mags like Wilson Combat will make it more reliable than anything....

Evolution Gun Works Inc.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Here are the upgrades I would consider. For the record, I have handled and dry fired a Taurus 1911, but have never actually shot one. My impression is it is a decent pistol with an OK trigger.

1. Mags. Buy good ones like Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick. The number one reason for a failure to fire is a magazine failure.

2. Extractor. Likely the second most common source of failure. Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Fusion Firearms, Cylinder & Slider and SVI all make good ones.

3. Springs - recoil spring, firing pin spring and extractor springs. Wilson Combat makes a spring kit that will cover 2 and 3. Wolf for recoil springs.

4. New safety. Known weak point. Wilson combat, Cylinder & Slide and SVI are all good choices.

5. Slide release. 10-8 makes a really terrific one. Pricey though. Fusion Firearms or Wilson Combat make good ones too.

6. New barrel link pin. Cylinder & Slide, Fusion Firearms, SVI and Wilson Combat all make good pins. Speaking of pins, you might buy a pin kit for the gun, though honestly, the link pin and the hammer strut pin have to deal with the most stress of all of them. Maybe the hammer pin too. Usually once you buy 2 or 3 pins, it is cheaper to buy the kit.

7. Upgraded ignition kit (hammer, sear, mainspring, disconnector and sear spring - might also include / need a new hammer strut, trigger bow and/or a new safety). Cylinder & Slide, Brazos Custom and SVI make good drop in choices. If you get the SVI kit, you will need an SVI safety.

8. Even if you do not upgrade the ignition parts a new trigger bow is a good idea as the face of the Taurus trigger looks a bit narrow. 10-8, Cylinder & Slide, STI and SVI all make good ones. You can get longer or shorter, curved or flat faces too. If you have the cash, the SVI medium flat trigger is simply awesome, especially when paired with their ignition parts and safety.

9. Mag release. 10-8 makes the best, though not cheap.

1-6 really focused on reliability. 7-9 focus more on making the gun better / easier to shoot.

Good luck!!!

Top Bottom