• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I started my shooting life when I was big enough to shoulder the BB Gun my Grandpa had. I think that was around 8 years. The .22LR didn't come until I was around 12 or so.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP I have missed where you are in the state. If you live in SouthEast Indiana I have access to ranges in Clark, Jackson and Bartholomew counties. My conservation club even offers free hunters safety courses. As far as a .22 my son is 10 and has had a youth 22 for several years. I will even give you the shells.

As far as age. I started shooting competitively at 10. Thinking Appleseed for him soon

Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    I am in the terre haute area. Where do you shoot? I would be happy to meet up and let you work with your soon on a couple of my 22s, rifle and pistol.

I go to Terre Haute Sporting and Clay to shoot. It will be a few weeks before I can take him.I am going tomorrow but taking the 9mm to let my girlfriend shoot since she hasn't shot it and needs a quick run down on how the gun works since there isn't an actual safety on it.I have one in the chamber but the trigger is "heavy" so it would be hard to fire for no reason unless dropped right.I need to show her how the decocker works as well. Just a quick safety run down on it.She knows the basics but never had a gun here with no safety on it. I will let you know in advanced when and I appreciate the offer!

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I go to Terre Haute Sporting and Clay to shoot. It will be a few weeks before I can take him.I am going tomorrow but taking the 9mm to let my girlfriend shoot since she hasn't shot it and needs a quick run down on how the gun works since there isn't an actual safety on it.I have one in the chamber but the trigger is "heavy" so it would be hard to fire for no reason unless dropped right.I need to show her how the decocker works as well. Just a quick safety run down on it.She knows the basics but never had a gun here with no safety on it. I will let you know in advanced when and I appreciate the offer!
    Just let me know and we can work something out. PM me,I may lose track of the thread. You'll have 50 posts by then I'm sure.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    I got my nephew started on a .22 when he was 5 (about them same age as myself when I got my first rifle) he is 8 now and has shot hand guns up to .40 and rifles up to 5.56... teach them safety rules and marksmanship and it should stick with them at this age.

All that being said maturity level has a lot to do with it as much as any thing else.
    Each kid (person) is different.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    My son was around 5 when he started but been working on safety rules ever since I can remember, he likes the M&P 15-22 with red dot a lot and only once he has tried a .22 handgun. He is now 7 and just ask him the other day about giving my 5.56 a try and he said yes so will see how that goes but for the moment no plans on centerfire handguns.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I started my kids at age five (5)...barring their ability (maturity) to listen and obey (follow directions) regarding the handling of a firearm. I don't know that I'd start him out on a 9mm...but a nice .22 would do wonders for training the proper skills! I started my kids out on a scoped 10/22 with the rifle sitting on a box of ammo on a shooting table. They put the butt of the gun against their chest, looked through the scope...and fired. I held the gun with one hand to 'stabilize' it (prevent anything else from happening) and let 'em bang away! All have done so without any hiccups.

Curiosity is an amazing thing for kids...once they receive proper training...it's 'cured' (for the most part.)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I start a lot of beginners on pistols with a .357.
    I load .38 target loads first.
    The revolver gives you options of various loads.

toddcraft33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Camby
    I started really teaching my girl about the age of 4. The two of us would clean guns every other Sunday. When we started I would go over the gun safety rules and teach her all the parts if the guns. At 5 I bought her a BB gun. Once she got the hang of it, I got her a .22 cricket at the age of 6. She loves to shoot, and she is very safe (probably safer than most adults). You can buy a Cricket rifle for less than $120. They are a very nice rifle for the money.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I had a BB gun when I was probably 9 or 10, but I don't think I handled a real firearm until I was probably 12. Worked out fine for me. I'd also recommend starting on a nice .22 rifle. Crickets are fine, but at his age I imagine you could quite safely start him on a semi-auto like the Ruger 10/22. I started on a 10/22 and an Ithaca 37 12 gauge. As long as it has a stock recoil shouldn't be much of a problem.

And as a side thought have you thought about buying and putting away maybe a Mosin-Nagant and a can of ammo? When he gets old enough to be responsible for his own firearm it would make an excellent gift. That was the first rifle I bought for myself.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    With all the questions about ammo availability why not start him out with something like a Daisy 880 where he can shoot for next to nothing and increase the power level as you go

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    10/22s are great starter guns. Just buy a youth stock to put on it. I am considering a youth stock for my 10/22 once my son out grows the youth rifle.

Top Bottom