What ammo do you carry in your 1911 and how do you carry it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • laalbert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    I have a Tauras 1911, I carry it in a shoulder rig with winchester .45 230 hollowpoints

Last edited:

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    I carry a Kimber ultra cdp 2 in a galco iwb holster at the 3 o'clock position. I also use wilson combat mags. Right now I am currently trying to decide what ammo to carry. During that time I am carrying hornaday tap, 230g +p. And I always carry cocked and locked.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    My custom-built (by me) RIA. Mostly to MEUSOC specs, but deleted what I didn't feel was necessary for me, and added what I felt I did need that the MEUSOC didn't possess.

The ammo currently in it is PDX1. I have had a hard time getting that stuff to expand in water tests after denim. Same holds true with most other .45acp bonded ammo, and Federal Hydrashok. This can be good or bad, depending upon how you look at it.

However, while the other bonded stuff zipped right through the water and was lost, the PDX1 showed signs of another wounding mechanism: tumbling. It acted as if it expanded in the water after passing through denim, having caused major disruption as opposed to just zipping through with minimal movement of the target as would ball. I found it base-forward in the fourth water jug - the same distance an expanded HP would cover - and the other water jugs showed signs of the bullet tumbling.

There is a full report with pics posted by me someplace in the ammo forum. You can run a search - you'll find other tests as well.

Josh

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    ...why two different kinds of ammunition?

I have two different kinds of ammo loaded in Cathy's PT92.

The first mag, in the gun, is Hornady's 115gr Critical Defense JHPs. I really like the way this ammo was designed to perform for personal defense scenarios. It expands very well after encountering obstacles we most need to be concerned about like heavy clothing, and offers controlled penetration. I think these are desirable attributes in a personal defense and home defense scenario, especially in a trailer like ours with neighbors close by. Not to mention, the ammo is incredibly accurate from that gun, to the tune of 1" groups at 15 yds.

Problem is, these same attributes mean less than optimal performance through heavier barriers. So, the second mag is loaded with Speer 147gr Gold Dot hollowpoints. I figure that if a fight somehow manages to go past the 15 rounds in the first mag, bad guys will be behind harder cover like, maybe, cars. These bullets perform well through heavier barriers, and offer greater penetration, and still offer good accuracy from this gun.

Obviously, both have been tested for function and work well.

I'd welcome input on my reasoning, btw.

snuffy33

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    Indy
    So what? Are you the same guy who buys a second-hand parachute? Or a used bungie cord?

Sorry but when it comes to my LIFE then I'll pay the $1 to $1.25 per bullet for the good stuff. Yes, I will train with reloads or bulk priced FMJ ammo, but the carry ammo is the good stuff.

Please see my original post.
    I carry DPX in the gun and GoldDots in in the spare mag.
    Both are fine ammo.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So what? Are you the same guy who buys a second-hand parachute? Or a used bungie cord?

Sorry but when it comes to my LIFE then I'll pay the $1 to $1.25 per bullet for the good stuff. Yes, I will train with reloads or bulk priced FMJ ammo, but the carry ammo is the good stuff.

Gold Dots aren't exactly bargain basement ammo, ya know!

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I have two different kinds of ammo loaded in Cathy's PT92.

The first mag, in the gun, is Hornady's 115gr Critical Defense JHPs. I really like the way this ammo was designed to perform for personal defense scenarios. It expands very well after encountering obstacles we most need to be concerned about like heavy clothing, and offers controlled penetration. I think these are desirable attributes in a personal defense and home defense scenario, especially in a trailer like ours with neighbors close by. Not to mention, the ammo is incredibly accurate from that gun, to the tune of 1" groups at 15 yds.

Problem is, these same attributes mean less than optimal performance through heavier barriers. So, the second mag is loaded with Speer 147gr Gold Dot hollowpoints. I figure that if a fight somehow manages to go past the 15 rounds in the first mag, bad guys will be behind harder cover like, maybe, cars. These bullets perform well through heavier barriers, and offer greater penetration, and still offer good accuracy from this gun.

Obviously, both have been tested for function and work well.

I'd welcome input on my reasoning, btw.

I say this only in the capacity as a firearms instructor, and it is meant in no way as a personal attack...

You're fooling yourself. The idea that such things can be kept track of during a gun fight, or that such "accuracy" is even withing the capabilities of most of us as operators, is a pipe dream.

We all need to lower our expectations in our equipment, and raise our expectations of ourselves. And that happens through proper training.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I say this only in the capacity as a firearms instructor, and it is meant in no way as a personal attack...

You're fooling yourself. The idea that such things can be kept track of during a gun fight, or that such "accuracy" is even withing the capabilities of most of us as operators, is a pipe dream.

We all need to lower our expectations in our equipment, and raise our expectations of ourselves. And that happens through proper training.

I agree with what you are saying, actually. I just figure that if a fight lasts long enough to need to change mags the next mag will have bullets with performance more suited to what the fight is liable to be by that point. No real thinking to be done. I don't plan to be swapping mags just because someone runs behind a car, nor have I taught Cathy to do so. I was taught to shoot to empty, basically as part of the KISS principal. To be honest, I think the odds of surviving a fight that needs more than 15 rounds in a scenario faced by citizens is minimal, but it could happen.

Also agree with what you say about the accuracy obtained by an operator during a fight, which is why I strive for the best possible to begin with. The weak link is the shooter, but it surely cannot hurt to start with as big an advantage as we can.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Springfield EMP40 IWB with two extra mags in opposite IWB holster. ALL are filled with Federal 180gr HST's. I usually let loose about 200-300 a year between training and swapping carry ammo every year'ish. So impressed with this ammo that I bought cases so I could do exactly above stated. You only have one life - mine is worth knowing consistently what my firearm will do at anytime if should ever have to clear leather.

Here is a link from another forum with expanded bullets

hollowptexpansiontest.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom