What are practical differences between SBR and an AR Pistol in SHTF context?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm putting together some items and whatnot for a BOB/GHB/Car Bag/Go Bag/3DB/INCH sort of thing... and I'm starting to consider the "compact" rifle to accompany it.

I know this is probably a newbie question, but when it comes to usefulness and practicality, what is the main difference between having an SBR, or having an AR Pistol with an "arm guard" or something similar on it? Does one fire differently than the other?

If I wanted to get an affordable SBR or AR pistol, what would I expect to spend... ballpark? AR pistols seem pretty cheap... I've seen people convert them into SBR-status... does that make it a true SBR, or are manufactured SBR different in some way?

Thanks

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Function wise, I would say that they are the same thing when all is the same except stock/brace. Cost wise, same thing minus the stamp. In my opinion, whichever you shoot best would be the best option. As far as switching a pistol to an SBR, it is actually a rifle once a stock and stamp are added.

Edit: cost, I think you can pick up ar's now for $4-500. I assume a pistol setup would be the same. If not, add the cost of a pistol buffer tube ($30 or so) and sell the stock off of it to recoup some costs.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Function wise, no different. From a practical standpoint, no different. You just wouldn't be able to have a collapsible stock, but you could still have a "rifle" that fits in a backpack or wherever else you want to stow it.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've never shot an AR pistol so this may sound stupid, please forgive me if it does. Why couldn't one just shoulder the tube or even the Thordsen saddle?

ETA: I know the controversy over the Sig brace, but a plain tube and the Thordsen device don't look like stocks.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Since this is the SHTF preparation as mentioned;
    You are on record with the SBR, twice if you bought the lower from the gun store.

[video=youtube;3OaF-j8x5Vc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OaF-j8x5Vc[/video]

Question to those up in it;
    Is it clearly determined that the sig brace pistols are legal? Or are we still speculating, hoping, guessing?

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Does SHTF mean you bug out across state lines? If so when things calm down you have transported an NFA item across state lines without permission from the man. Of course carrying a pistol out of state without LTCH reciprocity can get interesting as well. You know... all that shall not infringe stuff never gets in the way of the man.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've never shot an AR pistol so this may sound stupid, please forgive me if it does. Why couldn't one just shoulder the tube or even the Thordsen saddle?

ETA: I know the controversy over the Sig brace, but a plain tube and the Thordsen device don't look like stocks.

You can. It's just not as good as a real stock IMO in terms of things like cheek weld and stability for recoil control. Think of trying to hold a pool cue under recoil vs a pool cue with a big flat rectangle on the back. Which is easier to brace and stop left/right movement?

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    Yall do realize the if SHTF bad enough to grab your BOB and SBR, what the man thinks should be the least of your concerns right?

with that being said, SBR all day long. NFA only covers the receiver, not the upper so, if you have say, 3 AR15's and you bought one from Johnny down the road on a bill of sale, the man knows nothing about it. If you have to, turn in the NFA lower and keep the upper. If SHTF, drop that pistol upper on your lower and roll out.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yall do realize the if SHTF bad enough to grab your BOB and SBR, what the man thinks should be the least of your concerns right?

with that being said, SBR all day long. NFA only covers the receiver, not the upper so, if you have say, 3 AR15's and you bought one from Johnny down the road on a bill of sale, the man knows nothing about it. If you have to, turn in the NFA lower and keep the upper. If SHTF, drop that pistol upper on your lower and roll out.

This!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Yeah, in the scenario that I guess I was thinking of... I'm worried more about my safety than I am about laws.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The other side of the coin. What if SHTF IS gun confiscation?

I used to worry about this until I had that terrible boating accident off the coast of Florida in a sudden squall and lost my firearm inventory. I was lucky to survive. Now? I just have a bow and arrow........one arrow...with a suction tip.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I used to worry about this until I had that terrible boating accident off the coast of Florida in a sudden squall and lost my firearm inventory. I was lucky to survive. Now? I just have a bow and arrow........one arrow...with a suction tip.

A high capacity automatic assault bow with cop killing heat seeking suction tip?

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Does SHTF mean you bug out across state lines? If so when things calm down you have transported an NFA item across state lines without permission from the man. Of course carrying a pistol out of state without LTCH reciprocity can get interesting as well. You know... all that shall not infringe stuff never gets in the way of the man.

SHTF means you give no ****s at all about what 'the man' thinks, you are in survival mode.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My "go to" guns are 16" AR's with collapsible stocks. If SHTF, I'm grabbing one of them if I can. That said, I have a 12" Pistol with a sig brace and I cannot imagine it being any different on a practical level than an SBR. Aside from keeping panties unbunched, I do not think the SBR has anything over the AR Pistol with sig brace.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have been wanting a brace for my pistol, but just can't imagine them being near as stable as a real stock. Sold off the pistol, kept the SBR. Now, to find a private sale lower... Somebody has my old lower on a private sale.

Hey, Let's all trade lowers...

Top Bottom