What are the BEST 'budget' red dot sights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hey, that's what I said! :D

BAN!

I tried to Google a couple of Walther guns to see if there was a configuration that demonstrated this optic but didn't find anything. I'm wondering if their line assemblers have just always done it this way and packaging Quality Control has just never noticed?

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    All of that information helps a lot!! I run it "backwards" or "wrong" on my GSG, and it seems like a fantastic setup, although I may try to flip the mount just to see what it does. On my AR, I just recently put it on to test, and it certainly did seem that I couldn't get it far enough forward for a decent eye relief.....duh! :dunno:

But, I must say that the 400 rounds or so I put down range with the AR, the RDS held up fantasticly well and held zero throughout my travels back and forth from the farm. So, I will certainly flip this one and do some more "testing". :ar15:I need an good excuse to go put more rounds down range!

Thanks for the education!!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I tried to Google a couple of Walther guns to see if there was a configuration that demonstrated this optic but didn't find anything. I'm wondering if their line assemblers have just always done it this way and packaging Quality Control has just never noticed?

Well, now my curiuosity is peaked...cause it being shipped that way sure confused the heck out of me (also in part by my lack of knowledge). :cool:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I run it "backwards" or "wrong" on my GSG, and it seems like a fantastic setup,

Could you snap a picture of your setup? I'm curious how it works on a non-AR gun.

But, I must say that the 400 rounds or so I put down range with the AR, the RDS held up fantasticly well and held zero throughout my travels back and forth from the farm.

And now we're back to the main reason for this thread. Sorry for the threadjack.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Could you snap a picture of your setup? I'm curious how it works on a non-AR gun.

I would like to see that, too. I have a recently-acquired GSG for which I'd like to add a low-cost red-dot. I like the low-profile one mentioned earlier, but I'd like to see how this one attaches.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    No problem at all!!

I have set this one set up with the claw mount (came with my GSG at purchase) and it sets at the perfect heighth for me. I attached it so that the eye relief of the RDS was on plane with the eye relief of the HK style site, and it has worked out perfectly....and is spot on. I can consistenly spin 3"-4" rings at 50-70 yards or so, even with a fairly rapid pace of fire. The mount is strong and this setup has been "beaten" to death from travel to and from the farm, in and out of gun cases, and shot approximately 2000 rounds, and I have never made an adjustment.

FWIW....

Clicky for enlarged pics....

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Interesting. I don't believe mine came with a mount or rail of any kind. I'll have to check the box again.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Interesting. I don't believe mine came with a mount or rail of any kind. I'll have to check the box again.

Sorry, I should have been clearer on my statement. The claw mount came with my purchase, but I purchased from a third party, not a dealer. I am nearly certain this was a seperate purchase for them.

This place usually runs some decent deals on claw mounts and GSG accessories....
    GSG-5 EXTENDED FLAT TOP MOUNT Free Claw Mount

Mine also came with 15 mags, yours didn't?? ;)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    bushlt129.jpg

It would be odd to mount it any other way, at least on an AR-15 type rifle. Functionally, as long as the optic is in the correct spot, it doesn't really matter where the mount is. However, you don't get the benefit provided by this unique style of mount, and it makes a rifle look awkward.

I have my Walther mounted similar to the above on my AR.

BUT, (there is always a but)
    on the wife's AR she has a middle length free
    float guard that is railed, I actually attached the mount
    with the cant facing backwards but attached to the railed handguard.

:dunno: Guess I like to be the odd guy.

Note: also a lefty upper on the below, guy is weird to begin with. :D

apriloutside2009266.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I actually attached the mount
    with the cant facing backwards but attached to the railed handguard.

Is the railed handguard free-floating? Even if it is, I'd still be hesitant to mount my optic to it, due to the possible shifting of POI. Plus I'd think the balance would be very front heavy.

Got a pic?

Note: also a lefty upper on the below, guy is weird to begin with. :D

Won't argue with you there! :yesway: :D

rocky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    I am sold on aimpoint scopes. I have them on all my para military weapons. If you want to go cheaper I have had a couple of nikon red dots on my other guns and they have worked great. I am an aimpoint and nikon guy though I am a little biased.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ahh!! Backward optic mount! :runaway:

(sorry, pet peeve :D)

Not to belabor the issue, but it is a pistol scope, or at least that was the impression that I had, maybe fit's on that Walther p22? So, which way would it mount on that pistol?

Just curious too on inexpensive red dot/reflexive sights. What about the C-Mores, ADCO, and the Bushnell ACOG knock-off. Seems like some of them have gotten good reviews for the price?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just curious too on inexpensive red dot/reflexive sights. What about the C-Mores, ADCO, and the Bushnell ACOG knock-off.

C-More: I owned one back in the day; didn't like it all that much. Some of the 3-gun/competition shooters swear by them, though, so YMMV. At $200+, I wouldn't call them "inexpensive," though.

ADCO: no personal experience.

Bushnell:
    their "ACOG knock-off" is really just a regular red-dot wrapped in a vaguely ACOG-ish housing; there is no magnification and no tritium. I've played around with one, and thought it was nice enough. It had a "T-dot" reticle with dual red/green illumination. Bright enough to be visible in sunlight. Body style, while probably durable, is a bit overly large/bulky for what it is, and mounting options are limited.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Ok, I have to call myself out here....I'm a :dumbass:

Went to the farm over the holidays, and was organizing some targets and stuff for winter storage. I saw the spinner targets and rings my friend built for us to shoot, and they are not 1". They are more like 3"-4" rings. (I didn't have a measuring device around at the time).

I can consistenly spin 1" rings at 50-70 yards or so, even with a fairly rapid pace of fire.

So, sorry for the original BS...I am not that good. I could have swore my buddy said he fabricated them 1" in diameter...but maybe that was thickness or I am losing my mind. I have edited the post to correct as well.

On a side note, and one more proper for this thread....these Walther RDS that I am so very fond of are on sale at Midway right now for $60...which is a steal IMO.

Walther PS 22 Tactical Red Dot Sight 30mm Tube 1x 5 MOA Dot with Picatinny-Style Mount Matte - MidwayUSA

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Just a quick note, I may have missed it in a quick scan on the thread, but Midway has the Aimpoint 9000 in camo on steep sale right now ($225 vs almost 400). I have one on the way and will compare to the Vortex Strikefire I have currently. The only downside is needing to pay more for a mount. Currently the Strikefire is on my .458socom, but if I like the Aimpoint better I'll buy the Larue mount and put it on the .458 and put the Strikefire on another gun.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just a quick note, I may have missed it in a quick scan on the thread, but Midway has the Aimpoint 9000 in camo on steep sale right now ($225 vs almost 400).

Nice find! The 9000SC is a little longer body style than the COMP-C/M/ML series, but uses the same CET diode (50,000 hour battery life) and has the same toughness and water resistance as the COMP-C3.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

YA RLY :D

9000SC (camo; the one on sale @ Midway):
    0eec49d7a0eeb8fed5.jpg

Length 6.3"
    Width/height 2.2"
    Weight 7.4oz
    Dot Size 4 MOA (black model available in 2MOA or 4MOA)
    Designed to be used with (2) rings on rifles and shotguns. I'm guessing it would work real well in a cantilever mount on an AR, too.

COMP-C3:
    0eeff30090eed2c9a6.jpg

Length 4.9"
    Width/height 2.2"
    Weight 7.1oz
    Dot Size 2MOA or 4MOA

Top Bottom