What are the rules for going into Canada?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Vacationing in Michigan next week, and thinking about visiting Canada while up there. I know I can't carry, but can I enter the country if I have a pistol unloaded and locked up in the back of the truck?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Yes do not take it over the border line. Hunting guns must have 18 inch barrels unless it came from the factory under 18 also. I had a hassle getting my short little marlin across the line and had to get some paper work from marlin. Hassled getting it out and back in.

not extreme hassle but a hassle none the less. If it had been a chopped barrel gun they would not have let it in.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    You need special permits....filled out ahead of time and approved....before you can transport pistols into Canada.....and you had better have a good reason like an international competition (IDPA, USPSA, etc) for your request. Even then, hi cap magazines are prohibited.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    This is a minor thing, but remember that their speed limits are kilometers per hour, not miles per hour. You wouldn't believe how a simple thing like misreading a sign can put you 40 mph over the kph. (100 kph= ~62mph) You're probably much better at reading road signs, but if it happened to me, it could happen to you. Good luck, beautiful country up there.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Twenty years ago or so, I left a canister if pepper spray at the border crossing and picked it up when I came back to the States. This was a remote crossing going into Manitoba. I've heard of guys doing the same thing with firearms. Call customs before you cross.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I had a bullet charm on my key ring that customs found and they tore my motorcycle apart. As stated, cleanse your vehicle.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I am not willing to deal with the TSA, as much trouble as I've had with the Canadians at the border, even before the TSA and passports. Book a flight? I may as well book a room at the Graybar Hotel while I'm at it.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I recently heard about someone who crossed into canada and forgot they had an unloaded handgun in the car and they were arrested. Leave it at home.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I go to Pelee Island every year on vacation and they have a pretty awesome pheasant hunt there (my wife's aunt lives next door to the pheasant farm). The gun laws there are one reason I havent gone yet. Even legal shotguns, declared, scare the crap outta me crossing that bridge.

FYI in case there are any pheasant hunters looking for nearby hunts for a change:
    http://www.pelee.org/i?page=hunts&sid=3T139708742744

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yes, the fact you cannot take your guns with you into a foreign country should be enough for you to NEVER visit them. Should I really need to apply purple?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Last Year

Went to Niagara Falls last summer. Check to make sure they didn't add any new rules but these are pretty standard.

Call your auto insurance agent and get a letter indicating Canadian coverage. No cost for me, just call a couple weeks ahead of time. Not sure you have to but read this recommendation somewhere and it was easy to get.

Have both of your passports. Also keep copies of your passports in your luggage or someplace in case they get lost.

Figure out your cell phone coverage. In my case I think calls were Roaming but not too expensive. It was the Data that was a potential killer. On our iPhone we went to Settings, General, Cellular and turned Cellular Data OFF. Then only used hotel WiFi to check e-mail, etc.

NO NO items are tobacco, liquor, weapons, fruit, radar detectors. Read the rules. This includes No Pepper Spray into Canada. Be careful about knives and consider declaring when asked about weapons. In my case when asked about weapons I said "I have a knife for camping" which I did along with our tent and camping gear. You can take a knife as a tool, but not a knife as a weapon. Be careful how easily any folders open.

Border crossing is pretty easy but the folks in the booths do take their jobs seriously. Hand them your passport and they will ask: Country of citizenship? Purpose of visit? How long? Any weapons, tobacco, liquor, fruit? May be additional questions but these are the standard ones. Pretty straight forward with all four of our border crossings that weekend. No inspection or any interaction beyond the four questions through our car window.

Keep receipts for your shopping. Read the rules for coming back to the US, like NO Cuban cigars, fruit, etc.

Enjoy your trip.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Went to Niagara Falls last summer. Check to make sure they didn't add any new rules but these are pretty standard.

Call your auto insurance agent and get a letter indicating Canadian coverage. No cost for me, just call a couple weeks ahead of time. Not sure you have to but read this recommendation somewhere and it was easy to get.

Have both of your passports. Also keep copies of your passports in your luggage or someplace in case they get lost.

Figure out your cell phone coverage. In my case I think calls were Roaming but not too expensive. It was the Data that was a potential killer. On our iPhone we went to Settings, General, Cellular and turned Cellular Data OFF. Then only used hotel WiFi to check e-mail, etc.

NO NO items are tobacco, liquor, weapons, fruit, radar detectors. Read the rules. This includes No Pepper Spray into Canada. Be careful about knives and consider declaring when asked about weapons. In my case when asked about weapons I said "I have a knife for camping" which I did along with our tent and camping gear. You can take a knife as a tool, but not a knife as a weapon. Be careful how easily any folders open.

Border crossing is pretty easy but the folks in the booths do take their jobs seriously. Hand them your passport and they will ask: Country of citizenship? Purpose of visit? How long? Any weapons, tobacco, liquor, fruit? May be additional questions but these are the standard ones. Pretty straight forward with all four of our border crossings that weekend. No inspection or any interaction beyond the four questions through our car window.

Keep receipts for your shopping. Read the rules for coming back to the US, like NO Cuban cigars, fruit, etc.

Enjoy your trip.

We take liquor and tobacco products every time we go. You are allowed a certain amount of each, just declare what you have when they ask.

Top Bottom