• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Use the driver's license to make sure they are an Indiana resident.

As long as you have no reason to believe the buyer is an improper person you are good to go. If you know the buyer to be a felon, or have seen them commit domestic violence don't sell. Otherwise, sleep easy.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    short answer:
    - in state (IN resident selling to another IN resident)
    - adult (18+)
    - you need to be the owner of the rifle (hard to dispute, but don't go selling your uncle's rifle)
    - seller should have common sense when evaluating buyer - as there are possible repercussions if you were to sell to an "improper/unfit" person

(optional) bill of sale w/ names, date, serial number. Some people even put on a sentence about being able to legally purchase and own a firearm to be signed by buyer.
    *One of the easiest ways to quickly verify a buyer is if they have a License to carry handgun (LTCH) from Indiana or another state. This isn't foolproof, but it shows effort.

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on what I may have missed

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    McGrease gave you the bare bones of it, Throttletony filled it out with the "extra mile" lots of folks will go to to make sure buyer is ok.
    Personally I usually just give them a "hard look" and then evaluate how they stand up under it.
    Kidding, but usually I do get more from the "vibe" a buyer puts out than anything else. Someone who's nervous or ancey or has an ohio or illinois license plate and no indiana driver's license gets a no go.

And good question.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Another thing to make note of, in Indiana, when selling private-party, you can ship a long-gun to the buyer, there is no need to do the transaction face-to-face...

That may also be the case for a handgun, I'm not sure, but the cost of the overnight shipping that UPS/Fedex require for handguns makes it easier to just meet face-to-face in most cases.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    You really have Zero worries as long as the person you are selling to lives in the same state and is 18 or over. Both these facts can be verified by looking at his/her Indiana Drivers license. YOU HAVE NO requirement to verify the person is legal to own a firearm. The law states that you can sell a rifle, shotgun, or handgun to anyone that lives in the state and is over 18, and you do not know or have a reasonable doubt that they are legal to possess a firearm. You are NOT liable if the person is not legal or does something against the law as long as you met the above requirements.

I follow the law, and would never sell to anyone I doubt, however I do not nor will I ever require anything beyond what the law states. I personally feel there are enough "laws" on the books and we as gun owners and supporters of the 2nd amendment do not need to require more or make it harder for an honest citizen to purchase a firearm.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    You are NOT liable if the person is not legal or does something against the law as long as you met the above requirements.

While true from a legal standpoint, it might not sway a jury should you be sued. The burden of proof is less in civil suits than criminal cases, as witnessed by OJ and others being ordered to pay out big $$$, despite being found "not guilty" in the criminal trial.

IMHO, go above and beyond, if nothing more than to protect yourself should a civil suit ever arise. It takes only minutes, and is far cheaper than 1 hour of your attorney's time. Don't give the Claimant's attorney ANY edge, no matter how legally tenuous!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What are the rules for selling a ruger mini 14, can I use a DL only,
    thank you tom

Tom, yes, you can use your driver's license if you are driving to meet the buyer. You may need it if you get pulled over.

Sorry, I have bring some levity to this thread as there's a couple overly serious and paranoid posts. This thread should have ended with post #2.

Remember to shake hands when closing the deal.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Here is a link to a generic private sale form I have used in the past. You need to be able to display .pdf. Personally, although I know some people really don't like leaving a paper trail, if they won't fill out something like this I don't sell to them.

http://www.defensivestrategies.org/downloads/PrivateTransferForm.pdf

While I'd prefer not to fill out a bill of sale, I wouldn't let one get in the way of a transaction.... except that one. No way I'm giving a stranger my DOB and all of that other info.

Name, address, phone # is sufficient.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    While I'd prefer not to fill out a bill of sale, I wouldn't let one get in the way of a transaction.... except that one. No way I'm giving a stranger my DOB and all of that other info.

Name, address, phone # is sufficient.

Agree. When I use it I list only month and year (to satisfy age requirements), you wouldn't need to capture even that if you get DL number.

Top Bottom