• flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    What's it about?
    Fiction written right after the Oct 7th terrorist attacks in Israel but set to what could happen here.

“America is one giant soft target. Kurt’s narrators tell tales of the nightmare scenario open borders can bring.”

Jim Hanson, Author and Special Forces Veteran

From the author of the bestselling Kelly Turnbull People’s Republic series of action novels comes his latest thriller, THE ATTACK. Set in the very near future and ripped from today’s headlines, THE ATTACK is a terrifying novel that describes in frightening detail exactly how America’s enemies could launch a massive terrorist assault here at home. From the White House to the Middle East, from the blood-stained streets of America’s suburbs to the cockpit of a B-2 bomber that will initiate the first blow in America’s merciless vengeance, THE ATTACK blends vivid realism with stirring action.
    With input from key military and counterterrorism experts, THE ATTACK tells the story of a cunning, implacable, and brutal enemy taking advantage of a confused and weak president to launch an assault that dwarfs Hamas’s strike on Israel. With a wide-open border and American law enforcement focused on churchgoers and parents attending schoolboard meetings, the jihadist enemy can pick the time and place for its deadly attack. The only things standing in its way are the courage of America’s brave first responders and military, as well as regular citizens who are caught up in the bloodshed and are forced to fight back.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Fiction written right after the Oct 7th terrorist attacks in Israel but set to what could happen here.

“America is one giant soft target. Kurt’s narrators tell tales of the nightmare scenario open borders can bring.”

From the author of the bestselling Kelly Turnbull People’s Republic series of action novels comes his latest thriller, THE ATTACK. Set in the very near future and ripped from today’s headlines, THE ATTACK is a terrifying novel that describes in frightening detail exactly how America’s enemies could launch a massive terrorist assault here at home. From the White House to the Middle East, from the blood-stained streets of America’s suburbs to the cockpit of a B-2 bomber that will initiate the first blow in America’s merciless vengeance, THE ATTACK blends vivid realism with stirring action.
    With input from key military and counterterrorism experts, THE ATTACK tells the story of a cunning, implacable, and brutal enemy taking advantage of a confused and weak president to launch an assault that dwarfs Hamas’s strike on Israel. With a wide-open border and American law enforcement focused on churchgoers and parents attending schoolboard meetings, the jihadist enemy can pick the time and place for its deadly attack. The only things standing in its way are the courage of America’s brave first responders and military, as well as regular citizens who are caught up in the bloodshed and are forced to fight back.
    Sorry I asked

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

I would hope any such occurrence in the US would have a substantially different outcome than October 7th.

The body count in dense urban areas, especially those in communist dominated areas with Draconian gun control, would likely be high. However outside of those areas it is my hope Americans will quickly understand the danger and respond accordingly.

On 9/11 it took less than an hour with little information for the passengers of flight 97 to come to the conclusion they would have to give their lives to protect their Nation. There was not another successful attack using an aircraft that day or since. That was not through government activity. It was directly due to the actions of ordinary citizens doing what was required to protect their nation.

Had they the opportunity to be armed they might well have not been forced to give their lives to stop the next attack.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    428707.jpg
    Finished Ivan Denisovich and moving on to this little known play. Only 130 pages so should be a quick read. Reviews compaired it to 1984 and Brave New World.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Crime and punishment
    By Fyodor Dostoevsky
    Slow reading by some how staying with it

Great expectations
    By Charles Dickens
    2nd time reading

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Crime and punishment
    By Fyodor Dostoevsky
    Slow reading by some how staying with it

I had a lot of trouble keeping the characters straight due to all the variations of Russian nicknames depending on who the speaker is. I've heard some translations are much better than others, so maybe I had a rougher one. I finished it but also found it a slow read.

FWIW, I liked "The Idiot" better.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I had a lot of trouble keeping the characters straight due to all the variations of Russian nicknames depending on who the speaker is. I've heard some translations are much better than others, so maybe I had a rougher one. I finished it but also found it a slow read.

Oh how I know what you’re saying.
    Watched War and Peace the same thing was going on was difficult to follow at times. Another funny thing about the latest version of War and Peace series was English accents in a Russian setting but quite good.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

That's the problem I have as well, if you know of any translations that change the names to Joe, Larry,...

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana

“The Brothers Karamazov” was pretty good. I agree the names are tough.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've been letting my mind rot reading Jack Reacher books by Lee Child (I am on Reacher #17).

I have a few criticisms. If one was never in the Army or Army National Guard (as I was), you probably won't notice the numerous military inaccuracies. Also, Lee Child is British and it shows in some of his word choice and phrases. Also, if you're not into guns, you probably won't notice the errors- like, in "The Affair" where Jack "weighs" a cartridge case in his hand to determine whether it is a .223 Rem or a 5.56 NATO (to determine whether it was fired by a soldier of a civilian)...ignoring the following facts: they would have a head stamp, while military would only use 5.56 civilians could use either, the weight difference is something like a bit more than a tenth of a gram. There's also a lot of referring to the 9mm as "powerful"...which a Brit would do, I guess. Reacher has killed how many people and NOT ONCE has he ever had to explain this to a prosecutor and hardly ever to cops?

Anyhoo- with all that....I'm sure I'll finish the series...I've got the Jack Reacher monkey on my back.

Last edited:

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Also, Lee Child is British and it shows in some of his word choice and phrases.

I remember reading my first Jack Reacher book and he referred to leaving his car in the "car park." (Wait a second....)

I just started The Terminal List. Even after having seen the Amazon series, I haven't had a book pull me in this much for a while.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Hearts Touched by Fire
    The best of battles and leaders of the Civil War.
    Just started it. Need to take it to the cabin and just read for three days.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Reading a book series by Geoff baggett right now (on book 3) pretty good stories of revolutionary war times. Also finished a two book series by Paul Larsh. Frontiersmen i believe? It was a really good read also

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    9781782271079-us.jpg
    The Society of the Crossed Keys: Selections from the Writings of Stefan Zweig, Inspirations for The Grand Budapest Hotel

I'm 50 pages into it. The interview with Wes Anderson was an excellent behind the scenes look at how he wrote Grand Budapest Hotel. Zweig's writing is from a bygone time of great culture.

Top Bottom