• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Right there with you Jackson. We can encourage each other. Two weekends ago it was IDPA. Next weekend USPSA, and then the following weekend IDPA again. This will be followed up on Feb. 15th with private instruction from Coach.

A goal tracked is much more likely to be achieved. Accountability is important. :-) Next weekend on the 25th or the 26th? Where's it at? If its the 25th, I may be INDY. Where and when is the IDPA?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    A goal tracked is much more likely to be achieved. Accountability is important. :-) Next weekend on the 25th or the 26th? Where's it at? If its the 25th, I may be INDY. Where and when is the IDPA?

Both are at Bend of the River Conservation Club in Niles, MI. They are indoors so they are probably not what might be considered full on stages, but that is okay with me.

As far as accountability, that is somewhat of the reason I have embarked on the Competition thing. I like to have a goal that make me accountable. This type of goal is quantifiable, which make progress much more likely than, "I just want to shoot better".

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I'm working in North Carolina right now. Its about a 10 hour drive. Probably a little outside of your radius. :) I expect to be back in Indy at the end of February. I hope so, anyway. That's why I'm planning to hit Coach's league shoots.

Folks here were pretty welcoming. Saturday was a pretty small match. Maybe 20 shooters. The second was more like 70 people. I liked the smaller one better. It was just more fun and laid back.

10 hours is a bit far for a weekend match,but not entirely out of the question:):
    I thought that you had found an indoor match I wasn't aware of.
    I think you'll find that most of the matches you attend will be welcoming. I have found that to be the case throughout the midwest anyway.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My main goal for this year is pretty simple, build a team. I've got one guy who's got plenty of potential and eager to learn if it's warm, sunny, and convenient. I've got other guys who have just been buying their first guns in the life or years. I'll show them everything I know, but I need to strengthen the people who I know would show up at my place.

All these goals are secondary.
    *This year I want to learn and become proficient in lockpicking (currently underway).
    *Medical training (hoping for patriot nurses Indy class this spring).
    *I'd like to get some long range precision shooting training. I've been shooting long range for about 5 years now and even though I've hit targets at 1,000 yards, I've yet to do it cold bore. I need to fill in the gaps of my knowledge because I know I can improve.
    *I also need to improve on my understanding of radio signals and comms. Right now we're working with Baofeng radios and long antennas, but I need to look into getting a ham license and some more powerful equipment.
    *I need to work on my cold weather bushcraft, currently waiting for some goodies in the mail so I can stay warm(er).

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The year's about half over and I thought I'd give an update.

I recently resurrected an old thread on this topic. Some people have responded with similar ideas there. Mine:

1. Fitness and conditioning. I travel extensively for work. I am commonly sitting in the car, in airports, or working long hours at remote locations for 2-3 weeks at a time. Due to this I've gotten lazy. I rarely work out and I eat convenience foods that do nothing good for my health. One of my goals is to slowly transition my diet to healther foods and work out consistently, even if its push ups and jumping jacks in my hotel room. My main problem has been the mentality that if I can't do some set routine consistently I wont bother starting until I can. I need to do whatever I can when I have time, and not worry about it not fitting in to some grand scheme. Any activity is going to be better than no activity.

Well, so far I'm failing here. I haven't done anything significant in terms of exercise over the past several months. I have made some very recent improvements I'll address in number 3. I have made some minor dietary improvements, but not as much as I'd like.

2. Medical training. I've taken hundreds of hours of training classes in the past five years and only about 20 or so hours of medical training. With this in mind, I intend to focus on medical training next year. I haven't selected specific classes but I will find some and I will devote some training time and dollars to the subject.

I haven't done anything here either. I've looked up some classes but haven't committed to anything. I need to get on this.

3. Empty hand skills. I haven't had a lot of martial arts experience. This year I attended the Suarez 0-5 ft class. This coupled with a couple other experiences has really brought those gaps to the forefront of my attention. Due to the travel schedule mentioned above, I find it difficult to get in to a dojo or a gym with any consistency. I intend to look for short-duration seminars on contact-distance topics. Those may include empty hand, knife skills, impact weapons, or retention.

Very recently I've started going to a martial arts class. Its pretty physically demanding. So I'll tick this one off the exercise sectoin as well. I just started. So I wouldn't say I've done as much as I wanted. But at least I'm doing it now.

I may also increase my participation in competitive shooting events.

I have participated in a couple USPSA matches and a Steel Challenge since my post. It wasn't exactly as many as I planned. My work schedule is pretty rigorous and I have a long commute. That pretty much pushes all of my personal time in to the weekends. I've also done a few of Coach's practice sessions and tend to find them more fun than actual matches.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm going to go against my natural inclination and declare a goal:

I will make efforts to regain my former ability to shoot accurately on demand and hopefully improve upon it. I shall revisit and focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship, particularly sight picture and trigger control. While I'm doing so, I will also readdress seeing the front sight lifting in recoil, which should not be an additional burden if I am maintaining an adequate sight picture.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I thought about adding that to my list, but since I never seem to make it to the range I didnt think I could achieve it.

I'm going to go against my natural inclination and declare a goal:

I will make efforts to regain my former ability to shoot accurately on demand and hopefully improve upon it. I shall revisit and focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship, particularly sight picture and trigger control. While I'm doing so, I will also readdress seeing the front sight lifting in recoil, which should not be an additional burden if I am maintaining an adequate sight picture.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I thought about adding that to my list, but since I never seem to make it to the range I didnt think I could achieve it.

Things have gotten pretty bad for me. I don't make it to the range other than for matches, but I'm going to have to do so or it's never going to get better.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Things have gotten pretty bad for me. I don't make it to the range other than for matches, but I'm going to have to do so or it's never going to get better.

Poppycock. If you can't become an expert at something by watching it on youtube and reading about it on the interwebs, it's not worth doing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Poppycock. If you can't become an expert at something by watching it on youtube and reading about it on the interwebs, it's not worth doing.

Well, then! It's settled. Next!

I think I will take some extra ammo with me to RileyCC on Saturday. After the steel match, I'm going to shoot some groups and see if I can get back on track.

Top Bottom