• Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    SHTF?
    What is SHTF for you, what's happening?
    I cant answer, you have so many SHTF scenarios possible.
    Depends if I have to move out or stay at home (more likely in most SHTF scenarios), if im on foot or in a vehicle, how far im I going etc ...
    That will change the numbers the gun and ammo I can take with me.
    For the same weight I can have so much more .22 than I can have 12 gauge, so that will dictate what I can bring me with.Once again only if I have to move away from my house.If not they all my weapons are my SHTF guns.
    Are talking about guns for hunting, for defense, both?
    That depends if im in the city or in the countryside.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    SHTF?
    What is SHTF for you, what's happening?
    I cant answer, you have so many SHTF scenarios possible.
    Depends if I have to move out or stay at home (more likely in most SHTF scenarios), if im on foot or in a vehicle, how far im I going etc ...
    That will change the numbers the gun and ammo I can take with me.
    For the same weight I can have so much more .22 than I can have 12 gauge, so that will dictate what I can bring me with.Once again only if I have to move away from my house.If not they all my weapons are my SHTF guns.
    Are talking about guns for hunting, for defense, both?
    That depends if im in the city or in the countryside.
    defence and hunting.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    defence and hunting.

Well like I said it depends on so many other things.
    That will probably be every guns I can find around where I am when the SHTF kicks in.
    Let's hope im not far away from the arsenal when that's happen.
    If im out when it happens I may get stuck with just a handgun on me like many people until I can get to my car or home to get more guns.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Well like I said it depends on so many other things.
    That will probably be every guns I can find around where I am when the SHTF kicks in.
    Let's hope im not far away from the arsenal when that's happen.
    If im out when it happens I may get stuck with just a handgun on me like many people until I can get to my car or home to get more guns.
    You also need to be highly mobile. Ok here is what happened

Terrorist set of a nuclear weapon near you but it is far enough away so you will not be killed by the blast/ radiation at the immediate moment. Break down of law and order martial law ect ect. Just think of anything similar to this break down of social order.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Mine are my nagant revolver and my mosin nagant.

Although the Russians repelled the Nazi's with those old war horses, I think the trigger pull and cartridge limitations of the Nagant revolver may put you at a disadvantage in many situations. IMO the Mosin rifle has some merits (low cost, powerful, cheap ammo, rugged), but the Nagant revolver has not survived the test of time as well.

To answer your question, I would depend on what has proven to be trust worthy and effective through training and competition: a Glock and an AR15 carbine.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You also need to be highly mobile. Ok here is what happened

Terrorist set of a nuclear weapon near you but it is far enough away so you will not be killed by the blast/ radiation at the immediate moment. Break down of law and order martial law ect ect. Just think of anything similar to this break down of social order.

Highly mobile, why, to go where? All my stuff are at home, im not going to go in the woods with nothing but my undies and a rifle to survive like Bear Grylls when I have cans of food at home, a roof, clothes, and all kind of survival stuff. :)

In your scenario with a nuclear weapon I stay at home too.
    Once again I have all my stuff and I will get hit by less radiations if I dont go out.With martial laws and road blocks everywhere you wont go far away even if you wanted to go out anyway.

Believe me, moving is rarely the best solutions in most cases unless you house in on fire.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    AR/92fs for me...as I am very familiar/experienced with the setup anyhow....and the wife will take an AK/.40 prolly Sig or Glock........with these two combinations we have the most widely used cartridges in the world and not likely to run out of ammo anytime soon

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Although the Russians repelled the Nazi's with those old war horses, I think the trigger pull and cartridge limitations of the Nagant revolver may put you at a disadvantage in many situations. IMO the Mosin rifle has some merits (low cost, powerful, cheap ammo, rugged), but the Nagant revolver has not survived the test of time as well.

To answer your question, I would depend on what has proven to be trust worthy and effective through training and competition: a Glock and an AR15 carbine.
    I love the trigger pull on the nagant it is very light.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    OK, I'll bite.
    My AR-15 and Rock Island Arms GI .45 with several mags each in my bug out bag.
    My Mossburge model 835 will shoot anything 12 gauge and a box each of a variety of ammo.
    My custom Ruger 10-22 and S&W modei 63 revolver plus a brick of .22 ammo.
    My night vision scope and extra batteries along with my range finder and extra batteries.
    If I have the time and room I may also load my M1A and scope if I think I will need a long range weapon along with my ammo can.
    And of course a hideout gun and pocket knife, I love my LCP, and a box of ammo.
    OH! and a sleeping bag, I'm gonna need a nap after all this work.

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    If I am going to be mobile by vehicle, everything comes with. Supplies, firearms, the kitchen sink.... I have planned and practiced it that way. Not to mention that the sibs and parental unit are a fair distance away.

Bugging in (which is iffy at the moment due to location and lack of defensibility) I have supplies etc as well.

I believe in a 4 gun system, when possible:
    .45 ACP on the hip for backup defense (I never consider a pistol as a primary weapon)
    .308 semi auto for hunting and defense
    12ga for hunting and defense
    .22 rifle for training and hunting small game.

Regardless of what you pick as your personal choices, the most important thing is to practice with them. Practice firing under tension and stress in unconventional positions and environments while carrying a load, if possible (this means NOT shooting off a bench all the time, which seems to be a foreign concept on some other boards I frequent! :D), practice with the load bearing equipment of your choice, work with it and your BOB/ruck, walk in it for a couple of miles/day; get your body used to the feel, the heft, the weight. In any major SHTF scenario you will more than likely eventually find yourself afoot, so plan accordingly.

Most importantly though is the mental aspects of it. Be flexible, be adaptive, be quick, and maintain good situational awareness.:patriot:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Depends on the situation. Long arms would be either an AK or an AR. Which one would depend on what I'm expecting to do with them. Side arm would either be a 1911 or a CZ 75. I like the 1911s and shoot them well, but not really the case for my wife. She does shoot the CZ well and we'd probably try to stay with a platform that shares magazines and ammo.

As mentioned, there are so many ways that the SHTF could happen, it's really hard to say what I'd grab if I had to grab something.

Top Bottom