• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Nothing yet.
    I'll give you that it wouldn't be effective against semi autos BUT ammo is everywhere and the gun has a 99.99% chance of going off when you pull the trigger. The ak does too BUT, I want a very hard hitting round and a rifle that can reach out father that 7.62x39 5.56 or most regular rounds. It also has more force that a 30-06. Just saying I would use the rifle because its what i'm most comfortable with.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I would rather have something more than a 10/22 to rewrite my FUBAR'd plans.

You've never seen a rebel fighter in a 3rd world country using a 10/22. Typically they are using a mid-size caliber semi auto, more often than not, a member of the AK family. They are living SHTF in condition that offer, little food, little water, **** poor medical care. I'd almost go out to venture a guess that if we went to them with a bright shiny 10/22 with 1000rds of ammo, Arsenal Refinished Nagant with a 440 round of ammo, or an Beat up AK with a few mags... They'd take the AK.

I've never seen a rebel fighter using a Barrett or H&K MP5 either but they both have their uses. I was stating that I would use a 10/22 but that is each persons choice. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having an AR or AK as your choice rifle or even a FAL or M14 as the FAL is extremely popular in other countries.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I'll give you that it wouldn't be effective against semi autos BUT ammo is everywhere and the gun has a 99.99% chance of going off when you pull the trigger. The ak does too BUT, I want a very hard hitting round and a rifle that can reach out father that 7.62x39 5.56 or most regular rounds. It also has more force that a 30-06.

Ok, at least we can agree on something haha. This is a great time for you to really evaluate the choices you are making in relation to a SHTF situation. Semi auto rifles or even lever action rifles are VERY prevalent today, especially in Indiana, and it is a very real possibility that in the worst of times, you may be forced to square off with someone with an AK or AR and they may even have a little training. If that were to happen, you may not be able to dictate the situation or terrain in which you meet this guy or even girl.

7.62X54R is a hard hitting round for sure. I have the scar and license plate to prove it. However, the ammo is heavy and im not sure you are gaining anything over the 5.56 or 7.62X39 in the situation we are discussing. 5.56 WILL take out a human being at 500 meters. I also know this because I have seen it first hand. I cant even begin to imagine a SHTF situation where a 500 meter (or anything close to that) shot would be necessary.

Just saying I would use the rifle because its what i'm most comfortable with.

This is your trump card. A rifle that you are comfortable is normally more effective then the one you are not comfortable with. This is where I was saying the evaluation comes in. Right now, there is no SHTF going on in Indiana and a perfect time for you to acquire a rifle more suited to SHTF and get some GOOD TRAINING with it. Become comfortable and effective with it.

Just saying
    Mike

Replies are in blue.

Mike

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Replies are in blue.

Mike
    I'm currently upgrading my bolt rifle to a mauser. Can't find a good semi in my price range. Since my age limts me to a low price range the best semi I can afford is a hi point 9mm carbine (I suck at loading 9mm clips for some reason) I really don't think there is a 5.56 semi rifle in my price range which is 250.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I'm currently upgrading my bolt rifle to a mauser. Can't find a good semi in my price range. Since my age limts me to a low price range the best semi I can afford is a hi point 9mm carbine (I suck at loading 9mm clips for some reason) I really don't think there is a 5.56 semi rifle in my price range which is 250.

250 is SKS territory. The SKS is a huge step up from the Mosin. You would be moving to the 7.62X39 which may seem like a step back, but gaining so much. They are still a little heavy, but are so much shorter then the mosin. You will gain semi-auto firepower and upgrade to a 10 round fixed magazine. They are rugged and even keep the bayonet that you mosin guys like so much ;). Just a thought.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I carried a Chicom SKS around in my Jeep as a truck gun for years. If I trained with it on a regular basis, ie deploying it rapidly from the back and getting it into the action and on target, reloading, moving behind cover with it etc, then I felt pretty well armed.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    Probably mentioned earlier, but the Mosin offers stopping power on a tight budget. During a good sale, you can find one of these beauts for $80.00 with sling, oil can, and ammo pouch. (ammo extra). That's a lot of bang-bang for a young guy earning $10.00 an hour.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, yes, I get it. The Mosin fires a BIG cartridge. Yes, its cheap. Okay. I get it. If those are your only requirements for a SHTF rifle, then go for it.

Me? I'm gonna go load some 9mm into my pistol "clips".

R3COIL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    NWI
    My AK (M-70 under folder) and a Glock 19. Both hide nicely and can be used to upgrade while on the move. A small .22 would also be nice, but weight would be a concern if I was on the move in a hostile environment.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just curious, why would weight be an issue if on the move in a hostile area? A Yugo AK and a chest full of mags would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside if moving in a denied area.

Whats your thinking on this?

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Yes, yes, I get it. The Mosin fires a BIG cartridge. Yes, its cheap. Okay. I get it. If those are your only requirements for a SHTF rifle, then go for it.

Me? I'm gonna go load some 9mm into my pistol "clips".
    Did i says mags? O LORD

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Im not a big stickler on terminology, so mag or clips = Whatever for me. What I do care about is guys getting proper training with a firearm that they could trust their lives and the lives of their kids to if need be.

The mosin fires a big cartridge, but im not sure that this argument holds a lot of water in my opinion. The 5.56 is a proven performer when it comes to killing humans. I have personally pulled the trigger on 14.5 M4 and landed a center mass shot (upper right chest) at 400 meters from an elevated position. The amount of carnage in that guys chest cavity was impressive to say the least. I spotted for another designated marksman that landed a 280 meter face shot through a car window (drivers side door window) and the round crushed his sinus cavities and removed his lower jaw from his head. My point is that the 5.56 is plenty of round with the great benefit of weighing less then older, traditional battle rifle (full sized) rounds.

Just something to think about. Ask yourself, how much round do I NEED?

Wire Fox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    All truly depends on what the exact situation was, but I'm assuming I have to pick up and relocate due to NBC threat or the safety of others that need my help. With that in mind, I'd be carrying my 20" AR-15-which I've tailored-up with all the goodies to suit me well-and my Springfield XDm, 4.5" 9mm. Ammo is plentiful, there is plenty of stopping power, and I'm well-trained on the AR and have plenty of trigger time in on both. Along with those, I'd have on my quick-release plate carrier vest with all my ammo, hydration system, and small pack, PLUS I'd carry an assault pack on top of all that loaded with all the extra ammo, food, and survival supplies I need. If the situation is a total society-crumbler, I'd grab my trusty little 10/22 so I could have a nice little hunting rifle that's affordable to shoot, even in the apocalypse!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Mosinowner, you clearly love your Mosin.

I am a big believer in the theory that you must trust your firearm.

Learn to run that Mosin like a pro.

Its not my first choice, but if it is your first choice, fine by me.

Besides, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Mosinowner, you clearly love your Mosin.

I am a big believer in the theory that you must trust your firearm.

Learn to run that Mosin like a pro.

Its not my first choice, but if it is your first choice, fine by me.

Besides, it's the Indian, not the arrow.
    I oil it and grease the action every time I can. I have a 2 inch grouping at 100 yards (pretty good for a 13 year old.) and I can load the mag in 4 seconds. I try my best to run it like a pro.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I oil it and grease the action every time I can. I have a 2 inch grouping at 100 yards (pretty good for a 13 year old.) and I can load the mag in 4 seconds. I try my best to run it like a pro.

Good man!

Don't get bogged down in the "my favorite rifle is better than your favorite rifle" nonsense.

If the world was falling down around my ears and I reached into the closet, I would want to pull out an M1 Abrams battle tank.

If I couldn't find one of those, I would have to settle for the best thing I could come up with.

I think something clouding this thread is the distinction between:

"Out of all the firearms in the world, what's my SHTF choice?"
    VS
    "Out of all the firearms in my closet, what's my SHTF choice?"

Mosins have killed boatloads of fascists and they have a glorious history.

Top Bottom