• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I am nearly certain(ammo is expensive) that I would like a robust .45 in addition to a 9mm(all but sold on the M&P). I love the heavy guns, so stainless is what I am interested in for the .45.

The thing that concerns me about the 1911 is the commitment to keep running. I want something that is going to take a beating and beg for more, not require me to become an armorer to keep the firearm reliable. I already have a job... It seems to be the collective opinion that the 1911 trigger is second to none and the feel in the hand is awesome. I do like the nostalgia associated with the 1911.

The Sig P220 has features I like as well. As one who is mostly familiar with stainless double action revolvers, the DA/SA is attractive. I also like the idea of a decocker to put it back into DA ready. I had an E model in my hand that looked and felt good and had the SRT trigger and seemingly weighed nothing. The E models are not stainless. I am not sure how much this bothers me. The stainless Sigs do feel fat in my hand. I have not held one with the thin trigger and grips(I truly like the looks of the elites) to know if this negates the fat feel. I believe that the P220 borrowed some mechanical designs from JMB in the creative process...

While I am intrigued with the CZ 75, I believe I will pass and would like to keep the discussion to the 1911/SIG P220.

What say the board?

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i have a pretty old Sig 220 it's maybe 17 years old or so. it's great! accurate out of the box. i dont remember it ever having any hick ups. and it has all the features that i like and you listed.

the only problem is their price has gone up.

i've had a 1911 before too. their great also and there are a ton of parts and accessories out there.

before you buy tho, i would recommend checking out the FN's they have the same features, excellent quality and they are cheaper. it looks a little different than the Sig but it's functionally the same except the FN has ambidextrous controls. it's up to you of course. Millitary arms channel a member here did a review and compared it to an HK and i think he liked the FN better. might look up the video

good luck with whatever you decide

jake

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    I don't feel that 1911s are that finicky when it comes to maintenence. Sure, you probably need to clean it more than their polymer couterparts, but I haven't had any problems with my 1911s that I could directly relate to the platform and be concerned about using it. There is a reason that it has been around for so long...becuase it works. I think we get accessory happy and start messing with something that doesn't need it, and its easy to do. Its when we put sub par magazines in, change barrels, switch extractors and such that we open ourselves up to failures. Yes, there are good upgrades that can be done, but sometimes it can get out of hand (like ARs). If you like the feel of a heavy gun, go fondle a Springfield TRP. It weighs something like 42oz compared to the 220 which is around 28oz. Yes, I have a TRP and and think its the bees knees, however, a little research on it will tell the same story (I know you probably don't care about models at this point, but hey :D). Each design has its pros and cons, its just a matter of figuring out your priorities. If you want to be classy and awesome, buy a 1911. If you want to be like everyone else, don't buy a 1911. The trigger on a 1911 is second to none, similar to a tuned SA revolver, everytime. My problem with the Sig is the inconsistant trigger pull (DA/SA). I have never been shooting my 1911 and said, I wish I was shooting my Glock or Sig, but it has happened the other way around. I have Sigs, Glocks, revolvers, AKs and ARs and 1911s. Guess which ones I shoot the most.

Last edited:

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I carried a Sig 220 on duty for about 5 years before transistioning to the glock. I really like the Sig, very accurate, very reliable and few if any malfunctions. I have also own and carry 1911's for several years. The thing about the 1911 is that you have so many different brands and configurations. You can find one that is every bit as reliable as the Sig, but you can also easily find a "maintenance queen" as well. I think getting the Sig would be more safe as far as knowing what you will get while the 1911 will require a lot of range time to make sure the one you get is a good one. In my opinion, the 1911's light trigger also needs to be trained with more than the Sig's, not so much in shooting as in carrying, clearing houses, etc.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Well....

I dont think you could go wrong either way...but as others have said...the price of sigs has risen faster than the price of 1911's...and the quality has not necessarily improved.

Most people think that a 1911 is more "complex" than more modern designs because it doesnt field strip as "quickly" or with less functions.

Well....it all depends on what youre used to .....My beretta and my old sig could be pulled apart with just a press of a button or the flick of a switch...but that has nothing to do with their function....I know alot of guys that can field strip a 1911 VERY quickly.

Are Sigs reliable?...The answer is yes...are 1911's reliable?...Yes....

I always hear about these "finicky" 1911's that will only shoot ball ammo when surgically clean and when the wind blows from the south-east and when midwayusa.com has mags on sale.....but I have NEVER experienced one.

Colt, auto ordinance, Kimber, metro arms, and springfield...shot/owned all of them and never had one not go bang.

I too like heavy guns, and a stainless 1911 or P220 will get you one....my preference would be a 1911, but another Sig is high on my list.

1911 mags are cheaper, parts are more available, regret factor is much lower, and resale(dirty word) is a little better.

Someone is always looking for a 1911, but not everyone is looking for a new Sig.

Cant go wrong with anything an army is willing to issue to its troops...with that said...go with what feels the best in your hands.

$.02
    God bless
    -Shred

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    My 1911s have been very reliable, my SR1911 & Springfield Range Officer have been flawless, right out of box, same for now sold Sig 1911. Had some trouble with Sprinfield EMP, but a phone call & Springfield took care of it. Springfields Customer Service is INCREDIBLE!

If I didn't have such small hands, I'd be all over a Sid P220, love the way they look, just can't reach trigger very well in DA.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    The old saying is; when your wallet opens, the only opinion that matters is yours. Having said that. Bought a series 70 G.M. Colt.
    Full length guide rod.
    Trigger stop
    group gripper
    Bigger sights
    Came with the spring bushing. (barrel collet bushing)
    Lots of practice
    Bought the Sig 220 and it outshot the Colt out of the box. Go figure.
    2w5on76.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I prefer shooting the P220. I prefer the 1911 because of the thinner profile since I also have smaller hands. I think I like looking at the 1911 a bit more, but much prefer the DA/SA on the Sig.
    When you buy a P220 you know you are getting quality. It can be a bit more hastle picking out a 1911 and you will likely spend a little more than you had hoped.
    Guess it is just preferance. look at your physical profile vs the guns, your control preferances, price range etc.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have, shoot and love both.

I have never had a malfunction of any kind from the Sig.

My 1911 is ammo picky. If its feed the right ammo out of the right mags then its a 100% and very accurate.

If you just want to buy somthing to take out of the box and shoot without worring about finding the right mags and ammo then I would go with the Sig P220.

Like others have said though try them both if you can then buy whichever one that seems right for you.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Thanks for all of the responses. I am so torn between the 2. I am leaning towards the P220 and have been for some time. I just cannot shake the unexplainable "want" for, of all things, an SR1911(considering all of the various 1911's available with lengthy proven track records). I may very well be trying to justify, to myself, the purchase of both...

The two triggers are worlds apart. One(or both) of these will be in addition to the M&P which, as we know, is striker fired. That would be three differing trigger feels. Is this in and of itself unwise? hmmmm...and my internal debate continues.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Thanks for all of the responses. I am so torn between the 2. I am leaning towards the P220 and have been for some time. I just cannot shake the unexplainable "want" for, of all things, an SR1911(considering all of the various 1911's available with lengthy proven track records). I may very well be trying to justify, to myself, the purchase of both...

The two triggers are worlds apart. One(or both) of these will be in addition to the M&P which, as we know, is striker fired. That would be three differing trigger feels. Is this in and of itself unwise? hmmmm...and my internal debate continues.

i dont think so, just shoot the one your going to carry the most and when you go to the range make it the last thing you shoot........

i know others will disagree but i think its unwise to change guns day to day. muscle memory is very important (is that right muscle memory?)

jake

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Good advise here, your decision and both are great options.

I was just issued a 220 and have shot it for the 1st time this past week. It is pretty sweet I have to admit-very accurate. Some people don't like the DA 1st pull because it is so long so they practice with the safety on a 1911 then all pulls are the same. My fist shots with it are just as on the mark and the 2nd, 3rd, etc. I really like 1911's but don't own one(will soon I think). I have an H&K USPc that gives me the option of cocked and locked or DA 1st pull. I have always carried it in DA mode figuring I wouldn't want to mess with the safety so that is how I practice with it.

Good luck and happy hunting.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Hmph, sorry to revive an old topic - why not go with best of both worlds and combine the Sig and the 1911 together and get a Sig 1911? =D.

No, really - they're nice

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    With the Sig, you can chamber a round safely, with the 1911, if you want to have a round in the chamber, you'd have to cock and lock with it. Depending how comfy you are with that. I have a 1911 and I don't have a round in the chamber. But both of my sigs do.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    ^ If you aren't comfortable with a round in the chamber in a 1911, don't carry one. But please, think about your method of carry when you do; your life may depend on that one round.

The 1911 is perfectly safe being carried in condition 1 ("cocked and locked"). The Glock has two less safety features and is used around the world. I don't want a "safe" pistol, I want a dangerous one. I want my mind to act safe with said pistol. Training is key and far too few people take the extra steps necessary to learn how to "win the fight". :twocents:

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Personally everything I would want to change on a 1911, Sig did with a P220 for me it fits and functions perfectly. But for You maybe not. I suggest you shoot mass amounts of ammo out them both then decide.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom