What brand is the best self defence ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    As off june of last year Ayoob's recomend at least in 9mm was ranger t 127 +p+, heard him say 155gr or 165 was best in 40 but no specific. Lots of police carry fed tactical 165

Synonymous

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Batesville
    I carry Federal HST 230g in my XDm 45...but really most modern self defense ammo will do the job. Just run whatever you buy through your gun to make sure it will feed well and you should be good.

I use HST exclusively in all my carry guns, 9mm (147g), 40 (180g) and 45 (230g). It's inexpensive compared to ammo that performs much less.

Ranger SXT is an equal alternative.

JMHO. It's what I like based on the research I've done, FWIW. I'm not an expert but I think to add to the good advice above about testing it in your weapon, use what YOU can put your faith in by doing research. Gathering opinions is a start but you may want to seek data too.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I've had a few misfires with critical defense. I am currently running federal hst 230 grain in my m&p, Winchester pdx1 in my 1911 and hornaday tap 124 grain in my xd 9mm. I also own hydrashoks in both calibers and also Corbon in 45

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    Personal opinion - I like critical duty and critical defense. Visually looks to be the same. Real effectiveness... No idear but it makes a mess of one gallon water jugs

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Walken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Clark County
    I've read great things about the Winchester Ranger-T series, but is that really LEO only? Winchester has it on the LE side of their website, but this can't be illegal for regular folk to obtain, can it?

Maybe it's the forbidden fruit syndrome. Their are other great 9mm JHPs to choose from. Do any non-LEOs here buy this ammo?

EDIT: looks like it's available on some ammo sites for everone to purchase.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Im a big Speer Gold Dot fan. Very reliable in everything Ive tried it in...
    165 grain in my .40s and 185 in the .45.

Need to get some 124gr 9mm, but it can wait until things are less crazy.

The best thing to do, and most expensive, is to try a few out in your gun to make sure they will function properly.
    You could also go look at ballistic info, pick a few you like and then look for gel tests on those, or any other specific info you might want to know, like how they work through barriers.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've read great things about the Winchester Ranger-T series, but is that really LEO only? Winchester has it on the LE side of their website, but this can't be illegal for regular folk to obtain, can it?

EDIT: looks like it's available on some ammo sites for everone to purchase.

Right, that's just Winchester policy not a legal prohibition. Look around (as you have) and you'll find it available from some suppliers.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    This is like asking what is the best handgun? There is no answer. :patriot:

+1 whatever bullet you can put on target over and over is the best one. I would rather hit the bad guy six times with 22LR than miss six times with a .357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    indianapolis
    I've been wondering this same thing. I plan to try out the Hornady Critical Duty first as i have read a lot of great things about it. I'm still not sure what the main difference is between Critical Defense and Duty?

The difference between the duty and defense is the defense is made to expand at 400 fps amd under. It was designed with our smaller pocket pistols in mind. The 2 1/2 inch barrels don't give you enough muzzle velocity to expand your normal Hp. The duty rounf is made to FBI standards. Able to penetrate glass and hold its shape until it enters the body . It was made to be used in a duty sized weapon. Hope this clears up the difference.

Top Bottom