• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I know this is very open ended question. I am going to Tennessee to look at a remote piece of property. Which got me thinking. What would others carry for personal protection and black bears. I have read articles of people killing them(humans and bears) with 22 LR up to a 300 ultra mag. What pistol caliber would you personally carry if you were going tent camping and hiking?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What do you have?

If I a scared for my life I would hang the .458 WIN Mag on my back. I do not care how many magazine articles are presented, I would not consider the .22 rimfire the right tool. (220 Swift maybe) .44 mag would be my go to because I sold my .454 Casull.

Note, I have never killed a bear. I had bought a 45-70 Marlin and made a deposit with an outfitter for a bear hunt, but life got in the way and I never went.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I'd worry more about two legged critters, especially those growing and defending certain plots of plants in the remote areas. So 9mm JHP cause it is lighter than .45 ACP JHP.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I know this is very open ended question. I am going to Tennessee to look at a remote piece of property. Which got me thinking. What would others carry for personal protection and black bears. I have read articles of people killing them(humans and bears) with 22 LR up to a 300 ultra mag. What pistol caliber would you personally carry if you were going tent camping and hiking?

If you get some good leads on wild bear hunts, lmk!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I'd carry a .44mag with hardcast, or even just .45acp with hardcast truncated cone. They're black bears, not grizzly, brown or polar; more like overgrown raccoons. Don't get betwixt a mama and her cubs and you won't have anything to worry about.

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    For black bear, I wouldn't worry much like others above have said. Now, if I was going to Kodiak island, I would bring a 45-70 lever guide gun with a 500 mag revolver for backup. I don't play around with those.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    iu

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I live in black bear country. My edc is glock in 9mm. I bought a 10mm glock for back country carry, but sold it and now carry the 9mm back country or in town.

I can lay down a fair amount of hits in a short time with my 9mm critical duty rounds.

Shooting hot 10mm bear rounds, my follow up shots are much slower.

I dont care for .44 mag, .454, etc for defensive use because they are slow for me to draw and slow for me to shoot.

If you can choose a long gun, then take a 12 gauge with brenneke black magic rounds and you are in a class of shootability and smashing power that shame the .454/.44mag/10mm.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I agree 10mm follow up is longer. I have been to Kentucky a lot and seen a lot of bears. I never saw one go after anyone. I carried a 10mm Glock, but I think even that would just **** them off.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    What do you have?

If I a scared for my life I would hang the .458 WIN Mag on my back. I do not care how many magazine articles are presented, I would not consider the .22 rimfire the right tool. (220 Swift maybe) .44 mag would be my go to because I sold my .454 Casull.

Note, I have never killed a bear. I had bought a 45-70 Marlin and made a deposit with an outfitter for a bear hunt, but life got in the way and I never went.
    I have handguns from a 22 to 45. I am just curious if other people opinion. I was leaning towards a 40 or 357.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I'd worry more about two legged critters, especially those growing and defending certain plots of plants in the remote areas. So 9mm JHP cause it is lighter than .45 ACP JHP.
    I am more worried about shiners setting up on my property then pot. My cousin lives down around Gatlinburg and finds a still every year on his property.

Last edited:

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I live in black bear country. My edc is glock in 9mm. I bought a 10mm glock for back country carry, but sold it and now carry the 9mm back country or in town.

I can lay down a fair amount of hits in a short time with my 9mm critical duty rounds.

Shooting hot 10mm bear rounds, my follow up shots are much slower.

I dont care for .44 mag, .454, etc for defensive use because they are slow for me to draw and slow for me to shoot.

If you can choose a long gun, then take a 12 gauge with brenneke black magic rounds and you are in a class of shootability and smashing power that shame the .454/.44mag/10mm.
    If we buy this place I am sure I will have a 12 gauge or AR10 308 in camp.

Top Bottom