What can and can't be done with markings/serial numbers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    So, I'm going to be picking up a GSG-1911-22 from IndyGunSafety this week. At some point, I think I'd like to Duracoat it. My question, is about what can/can't be covered.

Can the manufacturer name/model be covered?

As far as the serial numbers, can any of them be covered over as long as atleast one of the numbers is exposed?

For example, can the frame and slide s/n be covered as long as the marking on the barrel/ejection port is visible?

To anyone that happens to have one, it looks like the s/n on the frame is stamped/engraved, can someone confirm this?

And just for reference...

GSG1911.jpg

Thanks!

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    best bet is to not take anyone's forum knowledge here. You should contact the ATF and ask them. Be very sure of serial numbers. Better safe with the bureau than "Oh... but the guys on the interwebs said it was OK!"

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    If the frame and slide are both stamped with a serial number I think you could get away with just one (as long as they are the same) Anything else can be covered or removed but it has to have a serial number. I don't think the serial number on just the barrel would be enough.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If they are indeed stamped. Clean the paint out of the lettering. When you paint it, the serial numbers should still be visible. As long as you do not go crazy and put to think of coats when you paint it.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    From my limited knowledge & understanding of how guns are "controlled", the S/N on the frame is what the GOV actually considers the "gun". The rest is just parts.

That is why you can buy a new after market slide or barrel with out a NICS check.

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    From my limited knowledge & understanding of how guns are "controlled", the S/N on the frame is what the GOV actually considers the "gun". The rest is just parts.

That is why you can buy a new after market slide or barrel with out a NICS check.

If you try buying a pistol frame onling, you'll have to pay for an FFL Transfer. This is the "official" gun that you can't destroy or occlude the markings on. With aftermarket barrels, grips, bushings, etc... it would be much too difficult to require numbers on everything to match.

~LT

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If you try buying a pistol frame onling, you'll have to pay for an FFL Transfer. This is the "official" gun that you can't destroy or occlude the markings on. With aftermarket barrels, grips, bushings, etc... it would be much too difficult to require numbers on everything to match.

~LT

No, it is whatever part has the serial number. It could be the slide, frame, barrel, fire control group, etc. It doesnt have to be the frame, that is just what it typically is.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    No, it is whatever part has the serial number. It could be the slide, frame, barrel, fire control group, etc. It doesnt have to be the frame, that is just what it typically is.

Sorry but Lordtio is correct on that one. Which, as I stated earlier, is the reason that you can buy after market barrels/slides/AR uppers/ect.... with out a NICS check.

The GOV considers the frame the "gun". Or more accurately the Reciever, the "gun"

As taken from 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3):

(3) The term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
    (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
    (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
    (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Unless, of course, you're talking about a Ruger 22LR pistol.

In which case the barrel is the serial numbered part and is the "firearm" and thus requires the NICS check. ;)

-J-

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Or the SIG 2SUM where the "fire control unit" is the serial numbered part and the part that requires FFL transfer, because you can switch frames, etc.

Top Bottom