What can you tell me about Rossi handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    I have the opportunity to trade for a Rossi model R35202 .38 SPL + P 5-shot in stainless steel. I don't know anything about Rossi, so I'm asking the INGO community. I'd love to hear your thoughts / comments.

Thanks

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What are you trading?

I have had good experiences with Rossi. Pretty much the same as Taurus now. IMO they are a decent gun for the money, but it would depend what you are giving up in the trade.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have owned 3 or 4 rossi guns over the years. I would rate them well below a Taurus. I never kept a Rossi but have kept almost all the Taurus,s.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    DSC00245.jpg

That is my EDC gun. 6 shot 357 2 inch barrel. Works like a champ. Had it since sometime in the 1980's. Can't remember for sure. Shot lots of rounds in it. Mine has the interarms mark as the importer.

I bought the 357 and a 38 special 5 shot from a neighbor for 300 dollars, A few years ago I let the 38 go to a friend for 225. So i have 75 bucks in it and what i spent in the holsters and speedloaders. I did have a little trigger work done on it. It is basically a smith model 66 copy. I can't tell you how nice it was to have dad start taking me to gun shows in the 1970's and early 1980's.

The older rossi's were better than the taurus. Now i believe that taruas owns rossi.

AS far as your trade just buy the rossi, sell the glock to a glock fan.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    My mom has a Rossi .357 snubbie. First time I ever shot it, first round. At 15 yd. Bullseye. Been a good gun.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am not sure that it would be a trade for you. You will hear that Rossi's are junk. Any brand you ask about there is good and bad. You will hear bad about Smith's and you will hear horror stories about Glocks blowing up. I had a Glock and it did not fit me at all,But does not mean it was a bad gun,It always worked. I have Rossi M971 .357 2 1/2" that I love. I had to do a little work to get it perfect. I got less than $300 in it but you could not touch it for that. Mine Shoots great and is pretty accurate. I think I would get some money to boot, But it is just like any trade, If you are happy with the trade go for it. Jim
    Rossishort.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Back in the early 90's I had a 5 shot Rossi 38 +p blued snubby with a bobbed hammer. It was a nice little gun, carried great and shot fine.

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    I love my Rossi R971-4:
    picture.php

It is a great shooter. Taurus does own Rossi now. Many people on this forum have said bad things like they are junk etc,but I disagree. Mine is a quality revolver and I can shoot it with great accuracy both at 25' and at 50'.
    I say go to gunbroker.com to double check that you are not getting shorted on the value of your G2 21....IMHO, i think you will enjoy the rossi.

Did you say already whether it is for EDC or if its for HD? I think for both it is a fine gun...

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I was trying to help a friend of mine buy a 357 and had the store's gunsmith tell us that the Rossi 357s had a tendency to get weak and crack where the barrel and the wheel meet. He didn't have the gun that he recommended (smith 686) for sale, so I am thinking he had no reason to lie. Obviously, some of these folks have not had that problem. :dunno:

Who knows.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have never heard about the cracking. But I will say I would not give a steady diet of full load .357. I think with .38 the gun would last forever. These things are built like tanks and would not worry to much with .38 and .38+p. I would not hesitate to buy another. Jim.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Gen 2 glock 21

Personally I would not do it, but that is just me.

I would not put them at equal value for starters. I think the G21 would be worth a little more.

I am not saying don't do it, but just curious for more info first.
    Why are you considering the trade? Your idea or the other guys?

Everybody has their own views on trades. What looks like a good deal to one person might look like a horrible deal to another. If both parties involved are satisfied and happy with the deal then that is what matters most.
    Are you not happy with the G21? If you do not like the G21 and do not use it, but would use the Rossi then it may not be a bad deal for you. If you like the G21 and are comfortable with it, then I wouldn't risk it on a deal that in the end you may regret.

If you are looking at getting a new gun for a specific purpose I would look around and see what is out there and pick one you know you like. You could then sell or trade the Glock at that time and get something that you know you want, instead of taking a chance.

Sorry for the long post and all of the questions, but I just don't want to see you do something you may regret. Too many of us on here have done that a time or two ourselves! ;)

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    Personally I would not do it, but that is just me.

I would not put them at equal value for starters. I think the G21 would be worth a little more.

I am not saying don't do it, but just curious for more info first.
    Why are you considering the trade? Your idea or the other guys?

Everybody has their own views on trades. What looks like a good deal to one person might look like a horrible deal to another. If both parties involved are satisfied and happy with the deal then that is what matters most.
    Are you not happy with the G21? If you do not like the G21 and do not use it, but would use the Rossi then it may not be a bad deal for you. If you like the G21 and are comfortable with it, then I wouldn't risk it on a deal that in the end you may regret.

If you are looking at getting a new gun for a specific purpose I would look around and see what is out there and pick one you know you like. You could then sell or trade the Glock at that time and get something that you know you want, instead of taking a chance.

Sorry for the long post and all of the questions, but I just don't want to see you do something you may regret. Too many of us on here have done that a time or two ourselves! ;)

Thank you SO much for the great advice. I ended up selling the gun to the guy with the Rossi. He ended up not wanting to trade, but wanted to purchase the gun.

Thanks to the INGO community for taking the time to give me some great advice!

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    I don't think I would trade a Glock for a Rossi, unless a lot of cash difference was involved, but in Rossi's defense, the revolvers built
    in the middle to late 80's were pretty good units. I myself have owned
    a couple of 971's 357mag and a 2" 44mag in stainless with no
    problems at all.

Top Bottom