what carry flashlights do you recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deanwirth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    I like to carry my streamlight that I used for work. Not the brightest, or the best, but it does the job and it doesn't take up space in my already too tight pants.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm going to do some more reading on lights, but anyone have one of these:

Streamlight 88040 ProTAC HL High Lumen Professional Tactical Light with white LED and Holster, Black - Amazon.com

The specs look pretty good. I'm also checking out the Surefire's. Specifically looking at some of the newer models with increased output:

SureFire is Your Source for SureFire Flashlights, SureFire Batteries & Flashlight Accessories

The 6PX Pro looks interesting.

I'm looking for something I can slip in a pocket if necessary or carry easily in a laptop, etc bag.

Haven't really got an educated opinion on whether I should go lithium battery or with readily available over the counter batteries at this point.

I definitely like the idea of dual output, but need to figure out what kind of manipulation would work best for me to switch between modes, and if momentary on is something I need or not.

It would serve as a general purpose light, but I'd eventually want to possibly take some training with a light as a companion to a gun when clearing a house, etc as well as for using as a self defense weapon by itself. However, that said, the main purpose would be for everyday use with the added desire to be able to use it in case of emergency to get out of a building, etc.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

Streamlight 88040 ProTAC HL High Lumen Professional Tactical Light with white LED and Holster, Black - Amazon.com

The specs look pretty good. I'm also checking out the Surefire's. Specifically looking at some of the newer models with increased output:

SureFire is Your Source for SureFire Flashlights, SureFire Batteries & Flashlight Accessories

I'm looking for something I can slip in a pocket if necessary or carry easily in a laptop, etc bag.

Haven't really got an educated opinion on whether I should go lithium battery or with readily available over the counter batteries at this point.

I definitely like the idea of dual output, but need to figure out what kind of manipulation would work best for me to switch between modes, and if momentary on is something I need or not.

It would serve as a general purpose light, but I'd eventually want to possibly take some training with a light as a companion to a gun when clearing a house, etc as well as for using as a self defense weapon by itself. However, that said, the main purpose would be for everyday use with the added desire to be able to use it in case of emergency to get out of a building, etc.

The vast majority of high output white lights use lithium batteries.

You'd be surprised at what you can do with a flashlight. Once you start carrying one, you'll wonder what life was like before you did.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    The G2x/6Px P2X duel mode lights will always go on the low mode first. So they are not ideal for tactical use. But they are great for EDC.

Surefire lights that come on high first are:

E1B back up. this is a single cell light, but has plenty of light output for most applications. Also has a low mode, but light comes on the high first. Excellent for EDC as it is a fairly small light.

Surefire E1B Back up BLACK

E2D: Double cell light so you get more light output. Some love the agressive bezels, some don't. but this has the same swithing as the E1B

Surefire E2D LED Defender Executive

LX2: This light goes to high by simply pushing the switch harder. So you can easily have a high mode instantly if needed. This light is a nice feel and wont tear up your pocket. It isn't a click switch light the other lights, you have to scew the switch in for it to stay on.

Surefire LX2 Lumamax Dual-Output LED

Any of these three lights will work fine for using with a pistol. It really comes down to personal preference.

For non Surefire: All the foursevens tactical version lights can be programmed to come on high first.

Search Results: quark tactical

For batteries: You can get lithium AA batteries, so there is no real advantage of 123a these days. The 123a will get you more light output and a smaller length light. Youll want lithium for cold weather, and they are less likely to leak.

RHorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Noblesville

I carry a 6PX pro everyday. I use it all the time or have people ask to borrow it at work.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The vast majority of high output white lights use lithium batteries.

You'd be surprised at what you can do with a flashlight. Once you start carrying one, you'll wonder what life was like before you did.

It seems to be that way with most things. Several years ago, I said I don't need a GPS. Now I hate being without one, and that's just one of the items that I feel that way about these days. Of course I've been that way about pistol and pocket knife for quite a while now, but even more reinforced the last few years.

The G2x/6Px P2X duel mode lights will always go on the low mode first. So they are not ideal for tactical use. But they are great for EDC.

Surefire lights that come on high first are:

E1B back up. this is a single cell light, but has plenty of light output for most applications. Also has a low mode, but light comes on the high first. Excellent for EDC as it is a fairly small light.

Surefire E1B Back up BLACK

E2D: Double cell light so you get more light output. Some love the agressive bezels, some don't. but this has the same swithing as the E1B

Surefire E2D LED Defender Executive

LX2: This light goes to high by simply pushing the switch harder. So you can easily have a high mode instantly if needed. This light is a nice feel and wont tear up your pocket. It isn't a click switch light the other lights, you have to scew the switch in for it to stay on.

Surefire LX2 Lumamax Dual-Output LED

Any of these three lights will work fine for using with a pistol. It really comes down to personal preference.

For non Surefire: All the foursevens tactical version lights can be programmed to come on high first.

Search Results: quark tactical

For batteries: You can get lithium AA batteries, so there is no real advantage of 123a these days. The 123a will get you more light output and a smaller length light. Youll want lithium for cold weather, and they are less likely to leak.

Thanks for the info, I'll look this over.

I see that some of the streamlights have the 10 tap programmable function. Not sure how much of an advantage that really is.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You need at least 60 lumens to blind someone in the dark. If my light comes on to 15 lumens first... not very helpful.
    In a Tactical Situation 60 Lumens of light might just be the Beacon of Location that your Enemy has been waiting to see...

See this is another of those awkward times when the use of the Word Tactical is not clearly understood...

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    In a Tactical Situation 60 Lumens of light might just be the Beacon of Location that your Enemy has been waiting to see...

See this is another of those awkward times when the use of the Word Tactical is not clearly understood...

15 lumens is the dark will be a beacon for your enemy as well.

I carry a E1B with me most places, I use the 5 lumen mode more than the high. Not that I have ever tried, but I'm sure you could see me with my light on 5 lumens from at least 100 feet away.

If you want to surprise someone, say that is breaking in your house, or grabs you on the street...etc. I don't want to be flicking switches, pressing buttons..etc to get my high out put up in their face. I want to hit the button and go.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Looks like it's never understood.
    You need to use a tactical flashlight in tactical black to blind someone in a tactical situation. :rolleyes:

BTW I dunno who came up with this 60 Lumens number, I heard 60 or 65 in different places but never heard of the source of that.
    I had a 8700 lumens light pointed right in my face at night time the other day, I just saw white spots for a few minutes but I was not really left blinded.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    15 lumens is the dark will be a beacon for your enemy as well.

I carry a E1B with me most places, I use the 5 lumen mode more than the high. Not that I have ever tried, but I'm sure you could see me with my light on 5 lumens from at least 100 feet away.

If you want to surprise someone, say that is breaking in your house, or grabs you on the street...etc. I don't want to be flicking switches, pressing buttons..etc to get my high out put up in their face. I want to hit the button and go.

Yep, that's what I understood to be the purpose. Chances are if you want the lower output, you are in a situation that moving through the modes is not an issue. If you want the instant high output, you are likely in a situation where you don't want to tip anyone off that you are about to use it and you don't want to be fumbling with the modes. Just not sure why more lights don't have the high output as the first on mode or aren't programmable in some way to do this.

I really like the specs on the 6PX Pro, but not sure I like the way its dual modes works.

I'm thinking a light with the ability to press for low, press harder for high, then has a twist cap for constant on in either mode may be best (I think the lumamax works this way from reading), but again that's from reading not handling one in every day use. I'd like a reasonably priced light with specs similar to the 6PX Pro, that possibly has modes similar to what I described above ... hmmm decisions, decisions.

When will LED Warehouse have the brighter 6PX Pros in stock?

I wonder if the lumamax will get an output upgrade to 320 lumens as well?

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom