• Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I hate selling guns. I then immediately feel the need to replace it hahah

I sell for two reasons.

1. I no longer trust the manufacturer and want to be free of a firearm I no longer trust, even though it is in good working order.

2. I need the cash to upgrade my weapon, or I have already purchased a better one and no longer need the first one.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    As a dealer we get people who try to get some sort of a bargain at what they perceive is at our expense. I don't consider it low balling but rather their attempt at trying to negotiate a deal. My favorite though, and I get one of these at least once every two weeks, is the guy that comes in and says they can buy that brand new Glock 19 Gen 4 for only 200 dollars across town. Then there is that pause like I'm somehow suppose to go "Wow well hey if that is the case then here you go" but instead my response is, "That sounds like a great deal! How about you and I go there together because at that price I want to pick up a few for myself!" funny how no one ever takes me up on that.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As a dealer we get people who try to get some sort of a bargain at what they perceive is at our expense. I don't consider it low balling but rather their attempt at trying to negotiate a deal. My favorite though, and I get one of these at least once every two weeks, is the guy that comes in and says they can buy that brand new Glock 19 Gen 4 for only 200 dollars across town. Then there is that pause like I'm somehow suppose to go "Wow well hey if that is the case then here you go" but instead my response is, "That sounds like a great deal! How about you and I go there together because at that price I want to pick up a few for myself!" funny how no one ever takes me up on that.

Well played, TSE.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I've had a few really lowball offers on here before. Normally they offer half what I'm asking and then get offended when I say no.

Crocodator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 6, 2012
    Hancock County
    I've never had a bad experience here. I have bought a few guns and only just recently sold a few things, and the worst I have run into is a few people who were "curt". If I'm buying and the seller is way out of range, I just move on. I've sent a straight up "I'll take it" if the asking price is low, but if it's on the line between good deal and not, then I have no problem making an offer that's close but a bit lower.

As a seller I haven't had any bad experiences either; a few people made some pretty low offers on the things I sold, but they usually had a reason (example: guy wants to build a bench rest rifle so doesn't really need the scope or stock that are on my gun; he's making a low offer as a result. No offense here, but no deal either.)

I don't really understand people getting offended about lowball offers. Say no and move on - it's not personal, it's business. When I make a lower offer, I try to be friendly and conversational and have some reason why I'm making the offer I am beyond being a cheap bastard. I mean, I am that, but I don't lead with it.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Every time I have bought something from guys on here I made sure to meet half way and I searched other websites prior to even engaging interest in the item just to see if it's a fair price. Then when meet up and the item is in the condition as the listing states, 9 out of 10 times I will pay for the asking price (if it was listed way higher than other websites I wouldn't even try to haggle.) Everyone I've dealt with has been extremely professional and kept their word with the description of the item so I don't mind paying a fair price.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I have purchased firearms for well over 35 years. I am NOT a flipper.

I could count the firearms I have sold on my fingers. Son and I collect and have around 100 in the safes. Last firearm I traded was about 12 ~ 14 years ago. Can't remember when I sold one!

A couple of things I know. First, I care less about the money you have "invested" in custom parts. In 99% of the cases I would rather it was original. The $389 trigger asb you installed is worth maybe $20 to me. Rarely are any customization worth much to a buyer, your choices normally will not be the ones I or they like, so forget even coming close to recovering the money you spent. Second, when I purchase a used firearm, it is NOT worth 15% off the new selling price when it is on sale. I would far rather purchase a new one, pay the sales tax and 15%, knowing the dealer will stand behind the gun and take it back or repair it if it is defective. Obviously a seller of a used firearm won't, nor in fact do I know if the reason he is selling is due to a serious problem with the gun. If the price is not at least 20% below the lowest sale price new, I would only be interested if it were a rare item.

I don't NEED any firearm, I buy because I collect and if the price is not acceptable to me I may make what some would call a "low-ball" offer. I am not twisting the sellers arm, he can be butt hurt, or he may respond and we meet somewhere in the middle where the price is acceptable to both.

I certainly am aware that in 99.9% of the cases there are many more of the same firearm for sale elsewhere. It is possible what I consider what the firearm is worth to me is less than the seller can get elsewhere, that's ok, he can say no..

I have sold many other items in the past, I have never been annoyed when someone make a low-ball offer to me, I consider it an opportunity to start negotiations that may or may not end up in a sale. Like someone stated above, I care less if someone says they can buy what I offer at a lower price, I just encourage them to buy from that person, usually that ends that type of discussion!

I guess I have a thick skin, I can't see anyone becoming annoyed or feeling insulted due to any offer. They can always say no or counteroffer. As a fact, although I have purchased many firearms while a member here, none have been through this site. I did purchase some ammo from an advertiser, and I believe both he and I were happy with the deal.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As I am one to modify about everything I own then yes, I realize the market becomes very narrow as to someone like yourself looking for a non-mod piece.
    This is why I have not posted anything in the classifieds for a while. There are more who would "Like" to have all the cool mods but are to tight or just can not actually afford them. But I truly get tired of the line..."Well,it is only an SA 1911" in the end" and only worth $XXX. Maybe to you. (Not you per say) I understand the concerns some have about the Dremel Kings.

Well....if that is the case move along and find a stock SA 1911 and leave me alone. The search for all they can get for as little as possible is all part of the game. But please, save it OK.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What a great read!
    I only made it to around page 8 then skipped to the end b/c I have to leave soon.
    I try to buy used guns for about $100 less than what they sell for new, sometimes I get lucky and it will be a $500 gun I get for $300 (Walther PPS M-2 LE) recently as an example, except they are now on sale for about $350ish.
    I use Hoosier Armory in Carmel for my benchmark prices on new guns and buy accordingly.
    I usually ask for at least $25 off asking price, and that is on a fair price going it.
    Example: I bought a Smith 10-8 for $275 a guy was selling for $300.
    Or, a Sig 290RS for $250, when they wanted $300.
    Or, a Charter Arms 38 Undercover for $260 they wanted $275 for.
    When I sell I simply pass the good deal I got forward.
    If someone asks about buying it any cheaper (never have b/c I sell so fairly), I just tell them to check back in a week or so and I'll be lowering the price if it doesn't sell.
    My last gun I sold her was last Friday and it sold in 3 minutes: Smith 10-8 38 special.
    Before that I sold a Sig 290RS in 10 minutes.
    Before that a Taurus Revolver in a couple of hours.
    When I have sold a couple on Armlist (before I had my 50 posts to sell here) I sold w/i a day.
    I look at prices everyday and to make sure I don't pay too much.
    I bought a Taurus 709 Slim for $180 Marksman Shootiing in Westfield (first gun bought in 30 yrs.) and I could have bought for about that price new at Hoosier Armory.
    Lesson learned, but still, I'll be able to sell it for that.
    I do figure in saving taxes and depending, the shipping, and would rather buy from an individual if everything else is equal, so I can save my $100ish, so resale will not be an issue.
    I intend to sell nearly everything I have bought since May (sold $1600 of guns so far), and keep buying whatever just for fun.
    Never intend to sell my Colt Mustang 380 I have had since 1990, or my little NAA 22 magnum 5 shot SS.
    All my 9mms are not sacred and could go.
    Will keep my new Ruger GP100 SS 22 10 shot: best gun I've ever owned (I'm not in the big leagues :laugh:).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I try to deal so it's win: win.
    My best friend wouldn't be happy no matter the price unless he gets a person to knock of a little more, from an already good fair price.
    I have seen it work for him, spending all evening over carpet buying and figuring, a $1500 deal (1980s prices) and walk over $25, but the guy caved in.
    Another time I saw him go buy a TV and while he was haggling for another few dollars off, someone else showed up and bought it right out from under him: I loved it!
    One time recently he was wanting to buy one of my guns, and while he was trying to get me to come down on a $250 Charter Arms 38 b/c I wasn't going to sell it any cheaper than $250; I sold it to someone else.
    I loved it when he finally got back to me to see if I would cave, and I said, "Oh, that gun? It sold last week, the day I advertised it when you didn't say you'd take it." :dunno:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Hmm I've never had to deal with low ballers on INGO. I have had someone let me know a price was too high though (I was thankful for it too). I honestly didn't have any knowledge of the gun and and it was probably one of the only times I was selling a gun for someone else (selling it for my father in law because he doesn't really get on the internet etc. and I was doing him a favor). It allowed me to drop it to what was more reasonable and get it moved. In all honesty I was embarrassed to learn the price was $100 too high...

I would say 9 times out of 10 I pay the asking price and or move on. I can remember once however where I offered a guy between 100-150 less than he posted the rifle for and we worked the deal at that. But it's also not like I offered 150 less on a $400 dollar rifle, it was on like a $1200-1300 posting. I think lower offers are normal if they are reasonable. I've said no many times to get my asking price and not gotten panties in a wad. Otherwise people will figure it out that they are too high when people look at the ad and they hear nothing... Offering half of the asking price is different, it's usually a case of no response at that point:dunno:

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    Only thing that bothers me is people who sell stuff that they bought when the market for that item was high but now at the time of them posting it for sale the market is soft for that item and they think it is still worth the money they paid for it. Perfect example... no frills AR's. I don't care if you bought a simple AR for $700+ dollars a few years ago it does not change the fact that those rifles now sell new for under $500. Some people are very good about this and price accordingly, others though... yikes. I just hope the people complaining about lowballing are not those same folks as listed above.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    All this lowball talk is a bunch of BS. As a buyer, offer what you are willing to pay. As a seller if you don't like the offer politely decline and be done with it. By the way, if I'm selling, I'd rather get some really low offers then mm one at all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All this lowball talk is a bunch of BS. As a buyer, offer what you are willing to pay. As a seller if you don't like the offer politely decline and be done with it. By the way, if I'm selling, I'd rather get some really low offers then mm one at all.

You are entitled to that opinion but it is not always as you state it.
    If you price fairly and a known flipper wastes your time it is irritating.
    Most on this forum are aware of what the market is doing.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Whether I make an offer or not depends on how close they are. Within $50-100 of where I want to be, I might make an offer. If they are more than that, I just move along to the next one.

Top Bottom