• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Found this next to the wood pile about 150 yards from the house.
    There were tufts of hair all around....head was missing and right leg torn from the body.
    My guess is a rator, probably an owl. No obvious tracks. The dogs have left a few over the last few days.

20231227_125710.jpg 20231227_125801.jpg 20231227_125703.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Weird they took the head…
    I might go with a raptor of some type also.
    cat would have drug it under cover I think.
    yote would have eaten it.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Per the inter webs: Many species provide insects to their young in the early stages and whole rodents once the chicks become large enough. Spotted owls rip off the heads of their prey so that digestion and owl pellet production are easier for the chicks

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Per the inter webs: Many species provide insects to their young in the early stages and whole rodents once the chicks become large enough. Spotted owls rip off the heads of their prey so that digestion and owl pellet production are easier for the chicks
    I think this means they feed everything but the head to their young...seems like wrong time of year....and everything but the head was leftbehind

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    The only owl predation I've actually witnessed was owl on skunk, 13 yards from my back door.
    I was walking back in the house at night and noticed the skunk 13 yards from the back door.
    My wife as leashing up the dog to take him out. I told her to watch out for the skunk at the edge of the driveway.
    She went out and immediately came back in. She said there wasn't any skunk, but something else by the drive.
    Since only a minute or two had past since I warned her of the skunk, of course I had to let her know she didn't know what she was looking at.
    I popped out the back door and didn't see a skunk. But I did see a large owl standing in the same spot where the skunk was before. I didn't see any black from the skunk, so I figured the owl's weight was pushing in down.
    Next morning I go out to inspect the scene. No blood, no fur, no skunk and no smell. It looked like a clean kill and removal.

It seems odd that an owl would have killed the bunny, yet only taken the head.
    UNLESS that was one Bad Owl, that wanted to send a message to the neighborhood.
    BadOwl.jpg

Top Bottom