mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Why? Are you LEO's? What authority do you have to demand to see a carry license?

The sheriff at the polls pretty much has the same authority in the polling place as a deputy. If someone refuses to follow the rules in place for polling places, we are directed to contact the sheriff's department. We take an oath and are sworn in before we can work.

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The first time I voted, last Tuesday, I left my K3AT in truck.
    I could hear the kids in daycare through the door in the polling
    place.

Thanks

Mark

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    The sheriff at the polls pretty much has the same authority in the polling place as a deputy. If someone refuses to follow the rules in place for polling places, we are directed to contact the sheriff's department. We take an oath and are sworn in before we can work.

And what if I tell one of the workers to go pound sand? Are they going to arrest me? "Pretty much" is a weak phrase, btw.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    And what if I tell one of the workers to go pound sand? Are they going to arrest me? "Pretty much" is a weak phrase, btw.

They would have the right to detain you until the sheriff's deputy arrived to handle the situation.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    They would have the right to detain you until the sheriff's deputy arrived to handle the situation.

So they do not have the same authority as a deputy.

It seems to me that you have be trained to stick your nose where it doesn't belong. Just another reason why Constitutional Carry needs to be passed. Everyone seems to think they have the authority or right to ask you for something that they have no business asking for.

Of course, this doesn't directly affect me and probably won't anytime in the future. My voting places are the courthouse or a school, so no-go for me.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    "detain you"?

By what means and under what or whose authority? I am skeptical.

I wonder what would happen if I laughed and walked away? Or, even worse, had to physically defend myself because someone placed their hands on me because they believe they are the police...this could end very badly, and I believe these training practices need to be changed.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I highly doubt anyone would place there hands on you since no pollworker should ever touch you for any reason unless you asked for assistance due to having difficulty walking or something of that nature. If you left rather than showing the requested information, I doubt that anything would happen to you. It is your right to leave.

Perhaps detain is not the right word, but you would be asked to step to the side and wait for the deputy to arrive (in our precinct anyway). If you chose to leave, that is your right and your choice.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    There was even an on dity, in uniform Sheriff's Deputy at my polling place but I haven't any idea how long he stayed.
    He wasn't voting either, just watching the polls for any people raising a ruckus I guess. :dunno:

I was openly armed too and he said nothing to me at all except "Hi".

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I highly doubt anyone would place there hands on you since no pollworker should ever touch you for any reason unless you asked for assistance due to having difficulty walking or something of that nature. If you left rather than showing the requested information, I doubt that anything would happen to you. It is your right to leave.

Perhaps detain is not the right word, but you would be asked to step to the side and wait for the deputy to arrive (in our precinct anyway). If you chose to leave, that is your right and your choice.

Would I be allowed to vote? Or would they have to confirm my license first? This is very upsetting.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Would I be allowed to vote? Or would they have to confirm my license first? This is very upsetting.

I guess that would depend on when it was noticed that you were carrying. If you had already signed in, I would have allowed you to vote. If you had not signed in, I would have called the county clerk to advise as to how to proceed.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ruger P-95 and a knife or two.

There was even an on dity, in uniform Sheriff's Deputy at my polling place but I haven't any idea how long he stayed.
    He wasn't voting either, just watching the polls for any people raising a ruckus I guess. :dunno:

iirc That is a big no no. Voting while in uniform if they are on duty is okay. But just being in uniform while at the polls, I'm pretty sure that is against the law.

I guess that would depend on when it was noticed that you were carrying. If you had already signed in, I would have allowed you to vote. If you had not signed in, I would have called the county clerk to advise as to how to proceed.

And under what authority would you have to put them on hold for voting? If they were willing to show photo ID and were registered that is. Or from casting a provisional ballot if they didn't have or wouldn't show a photo ID.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I feel bad.
    I left out M&P (Smith & Wesson anything for that matter)
    I left out CZ's and Rugers. Love me some Ruger.
    You have to have bacon.
    10 spaces were just not enough.
    I am NOT surprised that there are no hits on HiPoints and Desert Eagles though, shoulda' left those out.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    iirc That is a big no no. Voting while in uniform if they are on duty is okay. But just being in uniform while at the polls, I'm pretty sure that is against the law.

Yep found it, IC 3-6-6-36. Unless they are there for one of very few specific reasons, it's a no no.
    (a) As used in this section, "law enforcement officer" means a:
    (1) police officer;
    (2) sheriff;
    (3) constable;
    (4) marshal; or
    (5) deputy of any of those persons.
    (b) Law enforcement officers of the state and of political subdivisions may not come within fifty (50) feet of the polls, except to do any of the following:
    (1) To serve process of court.
    (2) To vote.
    (3) To be present when summoned by the election sheriffs or precinct judges.
    (4) To serve as a pollbook holder.
    (5) To serve as an absentee ballot courier appointed under IC 3-11.5-4-22. - See more at: Ind. Code § 3-6-6-36 : Indiana Code - Section 3-6-6-36: Law enforcement officers prohibited from polls
    (a) As used in this section, "law enforcement officer" means a:
    (1) police officer;
    (2) sheriff;
    (3) constable;
    (4) marshal; or
    (5) deputy of any of those persons.
    (b) Law enforcement officers of the state and of political subdivisions may not come within fifty (50) feet of the polls, except to do any of the following:
    (1) To serve process of court.
    (2) To vote.
    (3) To be present when summoned by the election sheriffs or precinct judges.
    (4) To serve as a pollbook holder.
    (5) To serve as an absentee ballot courier appointed under IC 3-11.5-4-22. - See more at: Ind. Code § 3-6-6-36 : Indiana Code - Section 3-6-6-36: Law enforcement officers prohibited from polls

Top Bottom