What do foreigners think of our gun laws?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    A friend and I were OCing at Fair Oaks Dairy getting ice cream (my inlaws range is just south of there) and a middle eastern man asked us if we were LEO. We said "No" and he asked why we had guns. At first, I was going to pull the "This is America, and as an American, I can." But instead I said "Well in this state, you can obtain a license to carry a handgun for personal protection. And this state also allows Open Carry.". He thanked us for the information, said "It must be nice have so much freedom." and went on his way.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I wonder this. After reading about the British pansies who found the bullets in their backyard and freaked out, I wonder what folks like that would do if they saw my gun room? Then I got to thinking, what are their preconceptions about American gun culture?

Anyone ever talked to foreigners about firearms in the US? I'd especially like to hear about anti-gun foreigners reactions and preconceptions about US firearms owners.

It almost makes me want to introduce the open minded ones to firearms. I wonder if there's any program to connect with tourists for a good range day? Almost a cultural exchange of sorts. Would be a lot of fun to take a rifle club from the United Kingdom, where semi-auto rifles are basically banned, to Knob Creek full-auto shoot.

I'm amazed that the US is as free with firearms as we are. If it weren't for the 2A I think we would be in a similar boat to most of Europe. I know some countries are easier when it comes to full-autos and the like, but I think when you look at the bigger picture of firearms ownership as a whole the United States is the freest there is. Well of first world nations that is. Obviously in Somalia anything goes when it comes to firearms and explosives.
    Not all people from the UK are that way about firearms. I am on other forums where they post some of their pictures and some of the ranges they go to. Granted, their laws are strange, but one guy owns some SBR's and according to him, he does not need any special license to do so. Their hand gun laws really blow, but I have seen some nice rifles in those pics they post.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I really do not care . But consider this if you where a foreign power you would think twice about any attempt to invade a country with millions of gun owners.

hzhang92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Seems like I'm the first "foriner" here, please bear my English grammar.
    I am really jealous of you all, have right to get a gun legally (The ammo problem getting crazy these days, by the way). I think government let citizens to own guns is because government have confidence to let them to, which mean that citizens are trust their government. By the contrast, look at the communist country, posses firearm in these countries is absolutely illegal, why? Because these communist afraid of the formation of militia. I have a thousand words here to talk about all the gun control thingy recently, I might get expelled if I talk too much about politics, so I better stop here.
    Let me just talk about my personal experience here. After I had my first time visit of shooting range, I start to love guns and visit this site a lot. I feel people here are so nice, they are patient to answer all the questions you have, which is a huge difference in my impression I had. The impression that I used to hold is all coming from the media talking about "assault rifle" hours on TV, makes me feel that only psychos are going to own guns. They never talk about what is the real reason of high crime rate and all the murder case. They should talk about if gun control really going on in the future, who's going to follow the rule, who's not going to follow it.

If there the something wrong about what I just said, please tell me. I would like to hear all voices.
    A great country will never be afraid. :patriot:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Seems like I'm the first "foriner" here, please bear my English grammar.
    I am really jealous of you all, have right to get a gun legally (The ammo problem getting crazy these days, by the way). I think government let citizens to own guns is because government have confidence to let them to, which mean that citizens are trust their government. By the contrast, look at the communist country, posses firearm in these countries is absolutely illegal, why? Because these communist afraid of the formation of militia. I have a thousand words here to talk about all the gun control thingy recently, I might get expelled if I talk too much about politics, so I better stop here.
    Let me just talk about my personal experience here. After I had my first time visit of shooting range, I start to love guns and visit this site a lot. I feel people here are so nice, they are patient to answer all the questions you have, which is a huge difference in my impression I had. The impression that I used to hold is all coming from the media talking about "assault rifle" hours on TV, makes me feel that only psychos are going to own guns. They never talk about what is the real reason of high crime rate and all the murder case. They should talk about if gun control really going on in the future, who's going to follow the rule, who's not going to follow it.

If there the something wrong about what I just said, please tell me. I would like to hear all voices.
    A great country will never be afraid. :patriot:

Well said. By the way, feel free to talk politics on this forum. There's only a few things that we can't talk about. You won't get banned for that.

I believe I've already welcomed you, but again, I'm glad you are enjoying your stay. Hopefully you can stay as long as you want.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We are lucky. At least for the moment! We still have our 2a rights. I have met a few foreigners at the range. Most are visiting family and friends in this country. They seem amazed with our 2a rights. I have a good time letting people shoot something they have never even held before. And I don't mind being stereo typed as a "gun crazy American Redneck". I know I am having more fun then they are! If they make owning guns illegal I guess I will be a criminal for the first time in my life. Kind of sad isn't it?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Why do you think we are seen as violent hillbillies? Look at your replies here. Who Cares? For crying out loud they care and a lot of them are stomping mad their forefathers allowed their RKBA to be taken from them. My very best friend is Australian and I can't even send him a folding knife for fear it will be taken by customs as a self or one hand opener. I bought him a Bug-A-Salt and his government ruled them illegal because it holds more than one shot of salt to kill flies. IT SHOOTS SALT! NO MORE THAN 24 INCHES! He is hopping mad about this stuff but their system is enough different that it is near impossible to regain ANY of this ground. IN MY LIFETIME, the Aussies went from being far freer than we were as far as guns go to being ridiculously repressed. All it took was a group of people like the Brady Bunch. Why do we care? So we can see what happens if we don't TAKE CARE OF OUR RIGHTS!

I have another friend in the Czech Republic who has it decent. He can own any gun that isn't select fire or full auto,including short barreled guns of all types, without any special extra gun license except the usual. The usual though is expensive and take about a year to obtain. Each gun you buy requires you to travel back to the town of your birth and obtain a permission slip which is good for 90 days. You must say whether you intend to buy a shotgun, rifle or handgun. Then you can go buy your gun. Once you buy it you can take it home straight away. As stated this can be an SBR, SBS or whatever else as long as it isn't full auto. The full auto is like here and take special permission. You can shoot your guns at the registered ranges only. You may not spend a day on your own property out in the woods banging away however. You can hunt but not just go out shooting.

Another friend is in Puerto Rico, and he shoots IPSC. He is incredibly good for not being allowed to reload. See, to reload requires you to get special permission to own powder and primers. Those are not allowed to be owned by anyone but special people who make ammo for others. It is extremely expensive and intrusive to obtain permission to make ammo there. They are allowed to come and inspect any time they wish and they do. This includes your home even if you make your ammo downtown in a special facility. You essentially give up your right to reasonable search to obtain such a license. This is Puerto Rico mind you, a place many call the 51st state.

I have good friends that I speak with all over the world. I care about them is who cares. I worry that they can't have what I can have and yes, sometimes I even tease them in video calls with a handgun saying "YOU CAN'T HAVE THIS!" I do that so they get off their asses and do something about it and they are doing as much as they are able. Their grandparents sold them out. These people aren't very happy about what they have either. Not everyone living under the watchful cameras of England is glad they are there. Have any of you been to NYC lately, looks a lot like London now. Cameras and sensors cover the city so that you can't even duck down an alley for a **** without getting a ticket in the mail anymore. This is taking place in cities all over America and then it will spread to the country so that we wind up like England and the rest of Europe, under the camera eye of the Police state.

THAT's WHY WE CARE! We must look there for our tomorrow or wind up like them.

(I am sure Cpt Nervous will correct my grammar and misspelling) :)

Last edited:

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    There are several countries where firearms rights were voided after acts of firearms violence.
    Most of these countries have seen an increase in crime, and the the criminals are still getting guns.

n9iui

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If this British guy's excitement about a simple 10/22 means anything, I bet there are a lot of people in England who are jealous of us! RUGER 10-22 RAPID FIRE - Beer Smash Up - YouTube

p.s. fast forward to 2:10... I've never seen a grown man react like that about a 22lr :):

Are those shot-shells? Look how long the bullet end is, compared to the shell. Maybe they can't get .22 LR?

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I wonder this. After reading about the British pansies who found the bullets in their backyard and freaked out, I wonder what folks like that would do if they saw my gun room? Then I got to thinking, what are their preconceptions about American gun culture?

Anyone ever talked to foreigners about firearms in the US? I'd especially like to hear about anti-gun foreigners reactions and preconceptions about US firearms owners.

It almost makes me want to introduce the open minded ones to firearms. I wonder if there's any program to connect with tourists for a good range day? Almost a cultural exchange of sorts. Would be a lot of fun to take a rifle club from the United Kingdom, where semi-auto rifles are basically banned, to Knob Creek full-auto shoot.

I'm amazed that the US is as free with firearms as we are. If it weren't for the 2A I think we would be in a similar boat to most of Europe. I know some countries are easier when it comes to full-autos and the like, but I think when you look at the bigger picture of firearms ownership as a whole the United States is the freest there is. Well of first world nations that is. Obviously in Somalia anything goes when it comes to firearms and explosives.

Not trying to be mean or contentious, but I don't really much care what those in other countries think. They will think what they want and until the day that they directly affect us here I am not going to waste my breath or time worrying about it.

cintile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Forget about what other nations think about our guns, our own culture has turned against guns. They have no idea, what the real point of the 2nd amendment is. Heck most gun owners I talked to don't know that.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Forget about what other nations think about our guns, our own culture has turned against guns. They have no idea, what the real point of the 2nd amendment is. Heck most gun owners I talked to don't know that.
    Just like at the United Kingdom as an example of incremental gun banning. Bit by bit by little bit they whittle away private firearms ownership. That's happening here, and it's already happened there. I think it's a good insight into what could be our future.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure it's already been said here, but...

I couldn't give less of a **** what foreigners think of our freedoms. There's a reason we're the greatest country in the world. I don't see their flag on the moon.

Top Bottom