• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Scouted an area out last year and moved my stand there in early spring. This was a mile back on top of a hill on the corner of a shared propery I hunt. It overlooks a 50 yds. power line strip then about a 75 yds. strip of woods to the property line which is a CRP field. My daudhter got a nice doe out of that wood strip during the youth hunt this Sept. Went out yesterday to do some pre season scouting and right on the property line is a small ladder stand faceing mine 125 yds. across from me. :xmad: I didn't think I missed this and the tree doesn't look worn where the straps are so I thinks it's not been there long. There is no name on the stand, mine is marked with name and phone number. Since it is on the line I'll assume it's from someone on our side but could be the guy on the other side. So what do I do ? Season starts in two weeks , do a just hope it is not being used ? If day light comes and I see a orange hat do I leave or wait for him to leave ? Should I put a note on the stand letting him know my stand is across the field and has been for 9 months ? Maybe he didn't see it , but its a buddy ladder stand on the edge of the woods not real hard to miss if you look. It's to late to move, other stands are placed all arond the property. I picked this spot not only for good deer travel but it is so far out and hard to get too, no ATV can get there, now this. :dunno: Any advice ?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    He probably didn't see it and is hunting the same way way you are.

My cousins and I do this to each other every now and then, not realizing where all the stands are, so now we tie orange tape on them so we can see where they are when the leaves fall.

I'd say hunt it opening day, but as you said, if you orange hats, be sure to wave ;)

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Would leaveing a nicely worded note on his stand makeing him aware of my stand and a phone # and email to work things out be a bad idea ? Some people are understanding and he may have no idea I'm there or he may be like most and think @%$# you I'll hunt where I want, you move.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    he likely has a s much right as you do to be there. Just because you put a stand up doesnt mean you claim the land around it. I know alot of guys think it does...but they are wrong

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Would leaveing a nicely worded note on his stand makeing him aware of my stand and a phone # and email to work things out be a bad idea ? Some people are understanding and he may have no idea I'm there or he may be like most and think @%$# you I'll hunt where I want, you move.

note might be a good idea, you might pickup some tips if they have hunted there a lot

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    he likely has a s much right as you do to be there. Just because you put a stand up doesnt mean you claim the land around it. I know alot of guys think it does...but they are wrong

I never thought that once, it is a shared property and he does have every right. I do however believe in being COURTEOUS, if I see a stand I don't pitch mine across or next to it because I can, I find somewhere else. I deal with people walking through were I'm hunting, ATV traffic, even guys in my stand. I just want this guy to be aware of me and if possiable work out a way where we both can hunt without interfereing. Maybe he only hunts weekdays, or only mornings, or maybe only muzzle loader. He may not even know I'm there.

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    How does this sound:

Hello, I have a stand across the powerline strip facing your stand. When I scouted this area out prior to season and put my stand up, your stand was not there. I was coyote hunting this weekend when I came across your stand. My main concern is safety. I didn't know if you were aware of my stand when you placed yours. My stand is a bulky two man ladder stand and difficult to move or I would just move it to avoid any problems. I just want to make you aware of my stand and that I’ll be hunting coyotes through out the season and deer during the firearms season and bonus season at the end of the year. If you would like to contact me my info. is listed below . -Thank you

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I am confused. Is the stand your complaining about on the same property or someone elses? If it's someone elses property wouldn't that be considered trespassing if you put a note on the stand? :dunno:

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I am confused. Is the stand your complaining about on the same property or someone elses? If it's someone elses property wouldn't that be considered trespassing if you put a note on the stand? :dunno:

Same. Just inside the line , really on the line, facing the property I hunt. So I assume it's a member and not the other landowner.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Same. Just inside the line , really on the line, facing the property I hunt. So I assume it's a member and not the other landowner.

If its the same side I would just take it down. :D

Or proceed with a freindly note. If you dont get a response I would then bait the area around the stand and contact a CO to eliminate your competition. :): After all chasing white tail is a selfish mans sport.

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    If its the same side I would just take it down. :D

Or proceed with a freindly note. If you dont get a response I would then bait the area around the stand and contact a CO to eliminate your competition. :): After all chasing white tail is a selfish mans sport.

I know your jokeing , but yes a lesser man would and could do just that. I always try to choose the high road. :)

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Be careful with notes, while I think a good idea, emotions can make them hard to decipher. I had a guy hunting a neighbors property put his ground blind right inside my woods once facing out towards the neighbors property, on my side of the property line. It wouldn't have too big of a deal except I was leasing the property and the tenant made an issue of it. I didn't know my neighbor at the time so I went out and moved it putting an innocently worded note on it about the property line and left my name and number on it. A few days later I get a call from the neighbor asking why I cut up the guys blind and threw it in a heap and why the guy should move it to other side of the property. After assuring him I didn't do that, it took three times to explain that I needed the blind on the other side of the line and I never said to move it to the other side side of the property. Long story short, I never knew what happened to the blind but I found out later the guy I had leased the land to had a longstanding issue with the neighbor and his family and I got in the middle of it by just thinking I was being kind and leaving a note with my name and number on it, which coincidentally made its way into the CO's hand.
    Cooler heads prevail in these situations, people seem to get as stupid as the bucks they are chasing this time of year except with real consequences. I like the idea of marking your stand. Opening day make sure you're there first just like they could be, wave etc. More than likely they were looking for solitude and may look for it somewhere else, or maybe they knew all along...

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    Notes suck they are hard to write without sounding like a turd. I would hunt somewhere else until you can catch up with this guy Face to face (maybe in the parking area) I would also be curious if you are positive that you were there first.

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Yes, I was there first, no doubt. Stand was not there last week. I had a note all printed up and actually had it tied to the stand , then after 10 yds. went back and took it off for the reasons in other posts. It was full of please's and thanks you's and sounded very polite and non confrontaional but as said some people will always take it the wrong way. I marked my stand tree with a 12"x12" blaze orange flag. If I see him out I will try a face to face just to see what his plans are, I will hunt some where else just to avoid any conflict. Who knows, may not see anyone all season. A blind was set up to the left of my stand last year and never saw anyone use all season. I have to remind myself this is all part of hunting public land.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Yes, I was there first, no doubt. Stand was not there last week. I had a note all printed up and actually had it tied to the stand , then after 10 yds. went back and took it off for the reasons in other posts. It was full of please's and thanks you's and sounded very polite and non confrontaional but as said some people will always take it the wrong way. I marked my stand tree with a 12"x12" blaze orange flag. If I see him out I will try a face to face just to see what his plans are, I will hunt some where else just to avoid any conflict. Who knows, may not see anyone all season. A blind was set up to the left of my stand last year and never saw anyone use all season. I have to remind myself this is all part of hunting public land.

You didn't say it was public land in your first post. If this is the case you might as well hunt and mind your own business. You can't dictate what others do on public land.

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    You didn't say it was public land in your first post. If this is the case you might as well hunt and mind your own business. You can't dictate what others do on public land.

Anyone who found a stand across from their stand a few weeks before opening day would be a little bummed and fustrated, along with being concerned for safety, and would want to vent a little on the local hunting forum, and that's what I did . Not once did I say this guy should move or he had no right to put up a stand. I don't expect him to move or accomadate me in any way. I would be willing to work around him to avoid any safety issues. As far as "mind my own bussiness", I do that better than most, I'm so courtous and non confrontional I had a guy sitting in my stand and I just went to the other side of the woods to hunt. Know very many people who would do that ?

Jrod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    I would put the note there and c what happens. Hopefully he is a good person and u can make it work. At least u will know he knows ur there.

Top Bottom