• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    When I can't get my LTCH application past the CLEO...

This is turning into a huge headache... I went in to apply on June 1st, filled it all out, paid the local fees, fingerprints... and I checked yes for the question that reads "Have you ever been treated for psychiatric health care or an emotional or mental illness?"

Now my application is hung up because they want a recommendation from my doctor... which despite all my efforts, I've been completely unable to get. In fact, I haven't even been able to talk to my doctor for the last two months! I've had three appointments canceled on her end this month alone, and despite having told them multiple times that I need that recommendation, I've yet to even get so much as a phone call about it.

So here I am, with $50 sunk into an application that hasn't even made it past the CLEO, and at a complete loss as to what I need to do to get it moving in a positive direction. :dunno:

It's not like I should have any problems either... I've never been in trouble with the law, I've never been so much as delayed on a NICS check... and I have my C&R FFL on top of it all. :n00b:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I think you are stuck for now....till you see the doctor.
    Does it always pay to tell the truth? I know what I would be thinking......I should have checked NO. I didn't lie....I just forgot.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Wait a sec... It's been a while since I applied, but is the question really "treated" for mental stuff? Or is it "have you been adjudicated" with them? Big difference.
    But anyhow, which was it?

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Never, never, never, never lie on the application form under any circumstances or for any reason.

Even if you could get by with it, as soon as you were involved in any sort of self defense or other use of your weapon situation in the future, you know the investigation that would ensue. Particularly by the "other" party's attorneys. You would and should be prosecuted for lying. Remember Martha Stewart? Innocent on everything except lying. She went to jail.

Do the right thing and get pushy with your Doctor.

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    Do the right thing and get pushy with your Doctor.

Yep. Make them WANT to help you. A phone call a day will do that. :D

Already got a headstart on that... talked to them today, said that if she can't see me in person, then she needs to get in touch with me over the phone. (And I do plan on calling them if I don't hear from her.)

I would just call her, but the schedule is NUTS!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So what exactly has to happen? She has to re-examine you and give you a written and signed clean bill of mental health?

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Just curious, what do you plan on doing if the doctor doesn't write a favorable letter for you? Do you have a good relationship with her? Maybe the appointments were canceled because she doesn't want to write the letter for you for any of a multitude of reasons.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Now my application is hung up because they want a recommendation from my doctor... which despite all my efforts, I've been completely unable to get. In fact, I haven't even been able to talk to my doctor for the last two months! I've had three appointments canceled on her end this month alone, and despite having told them multiple times that I need that recommendation, I've yet to even get so much as a phone call about it.

That sounds like an answer to me.

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    So what exactly has to happen? She has to re-examine you and give you a written and signed clean bill of mental health?
    I'm not entirely sure, but there's no reason why she (or any other doctor at that) wouldn't give me a 'clean bill of mental health'. It's only Asperger's... I'm no different than a 'normal' person except to when it comes to my thought process (very logical, abstracts are pretty much a foreign concept).

Just curious, what do you plan on doing if the doctor doesn't write a favorable letter for you? Do you have a good relationship with her? Maybe the appointments were canceled because she doesn't want to write the letter for you for any of a multitude of reasons.
    I have no idea what to do if she doesn't, although I have no reason to think that she won't - I've discussed it briefly with her before and I didn't notice a negative reaction at least. As far as the appointments go though, the only reason I know of for the cancellations is that she was not feeling well. Which is fine, I can't really argue with that... but the complete lack of response as far as the recommendation goes has got me incredibly frustrated.

Hoping to hear from them by next Tuesday at the latest though...

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    You should strongly, strongly consider seeing another doctor. Not to "sneak" something past a potential "bad recommendation" from your current doctor - just, simply put, you may have seen her before but if she won't respond to any calls one could safely assume she is NOT your doctor any longer.

It's not what you want to hear. You had a plan in mind with a logical progression and a planned date of fruition. This is more than a roadblock. This is an absolute "no-go" so you need to develop a new plan. That new strategy should include a doctor whom is responsive to your needs.

Best of luck!

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    You are kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place , on one hand you need to stay on the doctor to get them to take care of it , but on the other hand if you ride the doctors backside to hard you could **** her of and she will tell them your Nuckin Futs ...

Maybe you should go to the office in person and tell them I just need like 2 min of the doc's time to get her to sign a form for me .???

Whatever you do about it

Good Luck :patriot:

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The state can be pretty tuff when it comes to the mental status question. If you are being treated for a condition with meds and it is under control it is a good chance your permit will be denied. If you were diagnosed with the simplest form of a mental disorder but havent seen a doctor in a while it could be denied. This happened to a buddy of mine. He was given a perscription for anxiety 6 years earlier, filled the percription only once never even finished the perscription and was denioed due to the fact he was diagnosed with anxiety. GOOD LUCK

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i was treated for depression when i was in college. i hadnt seen the doc in over 5 years. i checked the box and called the doc (who is in another state). he faxed the letter to my local PD. the ISP took a bit longer to approve my license because of the letter, but they did eventually. just because you check the box doesnt mean you will get denied.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Is it possible/doable to find out what needs to be said on the form?

I would think "most" MD's would run as fast as they can from any statement that may, in the future, put them in a position of liability for anything.

That is the state of medical care today. Blood sucking lawsuits from ambulance chasers. (rant)

I would believe the state is looking for some sort of "release from care" with a good prognosis. Not so sure I would tell the MD office what the purpose of the note/letter would be other than an update on your status. If you said "gun permit" I'd bet that your paperwork would sit idle on the doc's desk.

Another strategy would be to get an assessment done with another provider (MD) that would "prove" that you are as normal as the next guy. Assessments run about $150 or so. So, short of getting the original MD to give you the OK, the 2nd assessment might be the way to go.

I would really focus on the wording needed and in this case, less is more. Kind of a "fit for duty" description. No one else, except for you, is going to want to stick their neck out, so to speak, so a logical course is to make it as easy as possible for the paperwork to get signed, etc.

Good luck!

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    Just a little update...

I didn't hear a thing from them all week. So I called yesterday and asked if the doctor was in - big surprise, she was out sick. Apparently has been in for one appointment all week.

She's been sick, I get it. But I have my needs. So basically what I'm going to do is call and attempt to make one last appointment on Monday. If I can't get in, or don't receive a response to my request within two weeks (by July 27), I'm going to ask if she can recommend another doctor and move on.

Of course that will probably push my obtaining the recommendation back even more, I doubt a new doctor will just write something like that without seeing me a few times first. But I don't see any other way.

I did get my father to stick a note on my application when he was at work last night (he's a part time dispatcher)... Let them know my doctor has been ill and that I'm still working on obtaining the recommendation.

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    And another update...

I finally got in to see my doctor... everything is sorted out now. I had the note within 10 minutes of going in, with only a few questions. It got dropped off at the police department today and I'll be going back in a week to hopefully get it sent off to the state police. :)

Top Bottom