• ...and so much more!
  • jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Hi Folks,
    OK so I am going to the range more and more. Ammunition is costly. I figure to invest in a reloading press. It will take time, but I have that, so… for many reasons , after researching which press, I like the Hornady Lock n Load AP.
    The questions are - what really comes in the box?
    I know, buy a set of dies $$ a scale$$ a this and that$$$$$$$.
    So what are the best accessories to get me off on the right foot, what do I have to have that is not in the box (sans powder casing and bullets), and where do I get them?

For now I plan on .357 Magnum and 9MM loads.

I suspect this has been bashed about here before, but I can't get any complete threads to pop up.

Please give me your ideas and wisdom.
    Thanks
    :bowdown:

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Even with the LNL you'll have to buy the shell plates for each caliber loaded.
    You need a good set of calipers, reloading manuals and maybe the ABC's of reloading dvd.
    Lyman 49th edition is an excellent reference to learning how to reload.
    You'll also need a good set of scales.
    I'm sure I've missed a few things thats needed, someone else will see and point out hopefully.
    A good thing to do is go to Midway and look at the pkg deals on presses for a Rock Chucker or Lee. See what they offer to get you into the basics and you'll see what you need to buy extra if going with an LNL.
    Brass...pm Aszerigan on here. Andrew is one of the nicest person to do business with. He'll be able to set you up, he offers reloading classes if you can make it to Indy, he makes himself available to all who needs help.
    Andrew can help you get started on your reloading hobby.

Bullets you can either buy jacketed or cast. google search on that one will fill you in, plus there might be members on here who cast and sell.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I have the LnL AP and love it. FYI, if you buy by the end of 2011 you can get 500 free (+ S&H) bullets from Hornady [link]. See link for details. They've run this for at least 2 years though, so they may continue it in 2012.

I have and highly recommend the "ABCs of Reloading" book. Haven't seen the DVD so can't comment.

Edit: My redemption form got lost in the mail somewhere, but when I emailed Hornady about it they were super helpful. They had me fill out another one and write the customer service rep's name on it, send a new check and they honored it even though it was post marked outside of the time frame. They gained a customer for life from me that day.

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm a recent convert to the Lock-N-Load press and I couldn't be happier. I started out with a single-stage Rock Chucker Supreme and it was a fantastic press but I started shooting more often and had less time to devote to the actual reloading process so my wonderful wife bought me a LNL for our 10th Anniversary last month.

Aside from the LNL press you'll need
    die set for each caliber and the corresponding shell plate
    calipers
    quality scale (either beam or digital but don't go on the cheap here)
    reloading manual, I'm a big fan of the Speer books and the current, #14 is a very good book with lots of good reading along with data.
    bullet puller (I like the RCBS version)

Also, if you do buy a Lock-N-Load press or any of their dies, buy a can of Hornady One Shot degreaser and dry lube. All their stuff comes coated in an anti-tarnish light oil/grease and it needs to be degreased before use, especially the powder measure. The LNL press comes with a good instructional DVD that shows how to set up and degrease everything including the dies; the instructions can be a bit confusing so the DVD really helps.

I really love my RCBS press and I cranked out a lot of great rounds on it using an RCBS beam scale with Lee dies and powder measures; I can't say enough good things about those, but the Hornady press just makes everything so much easier and faster without really making anything more complicated.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you look on RCBS.com, they have a step by step reloading tutorial. Of course they want to sell RCBS equipment, but by seeing what you need to accomplish each step of the way, you can understand how different makers equipment will perform the same task. BTW, RCBS equipment is good stuff, even though it costs more, remember, you only have to buy good equipment once. I have some Lee, some Lyman, some Hornady, some Redding, some RCBS, some Dillon and probably a couple other names I have forgotten, each has it's own plus points.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    First I would suggest going to one of Aszerigan's classes. Its inexpensive and will save you a lot of headache. His classes are very informative and it will also help you see the differances in the presses. He will show you how to load and also show you how to get started in reloading. Its worth every cent of the money and more. Checkout Profire Arms website down in the site advertisers section on the Home page. This should give you contact info and also class scheduals. Best of Luck.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Buy a single stage and learn first. It'll save your eyes, ears, fingers and pride later.

Good answer Andrew, I used to preach this non stop on other forums along with a few others, but it seems the newbies have different ideas on the reloading aspect. Its gotten to where I just go with the flow.
    New reloaders really need to learn the absolute basics before stepping into a progressive style. But thats just my opinion.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you look at so many of the submissions on youube, a lot of the focus is on speed. I also see a lot of emphasis on cheap. Reloading does save money, even with good quality components. Like so many things in life, slow down a little bit and make top grade, instead of going a little to fast and making junk. Even on a Dillon Progressive, I pay attention to what is going on and make sure every round is as good or better than premium factory ammo. A little extra care can avoid a lot of problems. It is not fun to go to the range and not have all your stuff work right.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I have to agree with the single stagers for a beginner. There are many problems
    that you will have to watch for... until you learn to spot them it's a good idea to take it
    slow. I always recommend the Lee starter set up for newbies. It comes with all the
    basics, and if you decide to go high speed later you will still find uses for most of the
    Lee gear. If you decide you don't like the whole process you aren't out 400-500 bucks.

Top Bottom