• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Over the weekend I got to go shooting for the first time in quite some time, and had a blast with my AR. Much more so than shooting my pistols. So, instead of getting a revolver and a full size 9mm to add to my small pistol collection, I figured I'd get another rifle (or two) instead. Right now looking to get an AK47 (and Mosin Nagant).

So, what do I need to know about AKs when shopping for them? I'm just looking for an affordable, fun, good looking rifle with wood furniture that I can use at around 50 yards.

Hit me with some knowledge.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I have the wasr imported by century arms. It's not the Cadillac of ak's but goes bang every time and eats everything I feed it.

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    I also second the Serbian N-Paps. Very affordable and very good quality for the price. They do not have a chrome lined barrel but that is not a big deal to me. They also have a nice little hold open notch built in the safety selector. The buttstocks are also longer than most AK's. They are much more comfortable and natural pointing to me. They are only a few Dollars more than a WASR and tons nicer. I picked mine up for $600 out the door.
    Another affordable option is the Centurion 39's. Made by century with a chrome lined barrel and Milled receiver!! I see them all over for a little under $700.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Or if you would be happy with an AK'esque rifle, the $399.00 VZ2008s from PSA come with a bayo and 5 mags. If I could afford it I would stack a half dozen of these back at that price.

Note, I ordered one 8/20 and got a shipping notice today.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Theyre the devil boy!

little waterboy humor there. I'd go with one of the Serbians if you don't really care about building a collection or chrome lining. Cheap and readily available!

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Oh did i mention the pap slap if you are not familiar with the newer Yugo AKs? If you do go Npap keep your nose tight to the dust cover if you want to keep your teeth tight in your head.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Love my WASR underfolder...I shot 2 others recently, a Yugo, and a sweet Arsenal. I'm pretty new to the AK crowd, and while the Arsenal was sweet, I love my WASR....100% reliable and shoots like other AKs I've shot (although I've not compared accuracy yet). I hand picked mine to check it over well, although while looking, didn't really find much for "bad" ones. I'm sure they're out there.
    On all AKs, maybe more so for WASRs, check for canted sights, excessive mag wobble, and if a folding stock, tight lockup.

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    I highly recommend the M92 with the "stabilizing arm brace". Though ya lose around 170fps with six inches less barrel, at 50yds they will group nearly as tight as an N-PAP, my all time best was 1.83", 1.47" was the best I ever got out of the N-PAP. Handier size, and it's little lighter weight was great trade-off for the 1/2moa. Whatever you choose to get, you'll never have to use "it was the ammo" excuse. All my AK's have been cheap ones, SAR, WASR's, the Serbs...thousands of rounds, not one single failure.

Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    I'd recommend doing a Saiga conversion, but that's kinda off the table thanks to our illustrious president. WASRs or PAPs aren't bad, but they're likely to be assembled poorly (a buddy of mine and I were trying to open up the dust cover on one and could not, the safety on Yugo rifles is sticky and slightly different than a standard AK, etc.). IO rifles are a bit more and slightly better quality. Arsenal guns are fantastic (and priced like ARs), and Rifle Dynamics guns are unnecessarily robust and expensive. If you opt for one of the low-tier AKs, look down the barrel to see how canted the sights are and choose the straightest of the lot regarding that

Also, do you plan to have this for plinking or defense? Ballistically speaking, x39 is a pretty crappy round. It hemorrhages velocity at distance (effectively making your weapon a 7mm howitzer because of your needed barrel angle) and doesn't do much damage (relatively speaking; getting shot still sucks pretty bad) unless it hits something vital or something bone. It won't tumble on impact like 5.56, thus doing less damage in the wound cavity, so hollow point ammo is actually a good idea. The SBR/pistol route is also a sensible way to go, but not the best. There's a reason the Russian army didn't actually adopt a 7.62x39mm rifle that size.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'd recommend doing a Saiga conversion, but that's kinda off the table thanks to our illustrious president. WASRs or PAPs aren't bad, but they're likely to be assembled poorly (a buddy of mine and I were trying to open up the dust cover on one and could not, the safety on Yugo rifles is sticky and slightly different than a standard AK, etc.). IO rifles are a bit more and slightly better quality. Arsenal guns are fantastic (and priced like ARs), and Rifle Dynamics guns are unnecessarily robust and expensive. If you opt for one of the low-tier AKs, look down the barrel to see how canted the sights are and choose the straightest of the lot regarding that

Also, do you plan to have this for plinking or defense? Ballistically speaking, x39 is a pretty crappy round. It hemorrhages velocity at distance (effectively making your weapon a 7mm howitzer because of your needed barrel angle) and doesn't do much damage (relatively speaking; getting shot still sucks pretty bad) unless it hits something vital or something bone. It won't tumble on impact like 5.56, thus doing less damage in the wound cavity, so hollow point ammo is actually a good idea. The SBR/pistol route is also a sensible way to go, but not the best. There's a reason the Russian army didn't actually adopt a 7.62x39mm rifle that size.
    There is so much fail and incorrect info in your post. IO sucks **** and I wouldn't wish my worse enemy to buy one! Pieces of ****!! OP do not buy an IO ak!!!
    your assessment of the 7.62x39 round is based on what? A conversation you had with Mickey Mouse in Spanish? You know russian special forces still use 7.62x39 AK's a lot right? There's a reason for that.

Last edited:

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    ^ +100000.

This fella knows what he's talking about and can back up the ballistics arguement all day. X39 does not play games. Whether one gets shot at 1m or 600m. .. x39 will ruin your day, and make everyday living extremely painful if you are lucky enough to live to tell about it. Unless you know the facts youre speaking of, best to do some research.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY

A saiga conversion is way too expensive nowadays. You're better off buying an arsenal as it'll be cheaper than a saiga conversion and not have 4 holes in the rear of the receiver when you're done. Aks are Aks, what makes them perfect is they operate well under the widest range of tolerances. If you compare the length of the dust cover on 5 Ak's you'll get 5 different lengths. Tell your friend to sand it down, bend it out or whatever until it's where he wants it. If his safety is too strong, you can remove it, place it loosely in a vice and whack it with a hammer. If still too tight, whack it again. IO rifles blow. I don't understand how rifle dynamic guns are more robust since they build kits on 74ull receivers. If your take on the 7.62 round doesn't cause Mikhail Kalashnikov to rise from the grave to come slap you, then I have no faith in an afterlife.

I agree with the price of arsenals, and that you should check for canted sights.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

WTF are you talking about? Have you been drinking? Just a few points, but,
    1. WASRs, as a general rule have sucked for years, they have gotten better though.
    2. IO rifles suck, and always have.
    3. Arsenal as of late are hit and miss
    4. WTF does "unnecessarily robust" mean? Too good? I'd hate to have a weapon that was too good!
    (Oops, wasn't done yet)
    5. Expensive, generally means better, not always, but generally.
    6. WASRs are FAMOUS for for canted Front sight bases
    7. Your wound ballistics classes have obviously been lacking
    8. I should have listened to Trigger Time, he was right, so much fail

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Um,..... yeah. Pretty much disregard everything that guy said.
    This should really be a sticky, lots of great discussion in here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/335019-ak-do-i-buy-link-bumper.html

My :twocents:
    -Avoid IO, be extremely suspicious of CAI
    -On remanufactured parts kit guns, look for: good rivets, straight sights (front & rear) / gas block, and the magwell if it was single stack in it's previous life.
    -Chrome barrel > non chrome lined barrel
    -If you can afford it, buy an Arsenal SLR (buy once / cry once). Russian and Chinese stuff is nice as well but starting to demand a premium due to their banned status. Lots of Romanians out there and they are not all created equal. Some such as the SAR and WUM are much better than others. Serbian made Zastava's are nice, but lack a chrome barrel. Fine for majority of shooters, but the barrel is going to have a shorter service life.
    -There is no real major advantages to a milled, but most guys think they're cooler. I have and like both, but probably prefer my stamped guns.
    -Both X39 flavors of AK have their strong points. 7.62 is going to be more common, 5.45 lends its self to being more accurate with less felt recoil.

Top Bottom