What do I need to know about my new suppressor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Im anticipating picking up my Guardian 9 in the next few days, my paperwork was approved on Monday. I have never been fortunate enough to go to an NFA day or have any sort of demo done. What do I need to know? Tips, tricks, things I should look at before I fire it for the first time?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What do I need to know? Tips, tricks, things I should look at before I fire it for the first time?

I'm no suppressor guru, but here are a few things--

Subsonic loads will be noticeably quieter. Any 147gr 9mm will be subsonic. I'd try both 147 and 115gr stuff to hear the difference.

Don't be disappointed if it's not "Hollywood" quiet (it won't be). Just be glad you can shoot without earpro.

I'm sure others will be along to recommend anti-seize, cleaning procedures, care and maintenance, etc.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I'm no suppressor guru, but here are a few things--

Subsonic loads will be noticeably quieter. Any 147gr 9mm will be subsonic. I'd try both 147 and 115gr stuff to hear the difference.

Don't be disappointed if it's not "Hollywood" quiet (it won't be). Just be glad you can shoot without earpro.

I'm sure others will be along to recommend anti-seize, cleaning procedures, care and maintenance, etc.

I have realisitic expectations when I bought it. I watched a lot of videos and absorbed a lot of info on here. I switched to 147gr projectiles when I bought it, so all good on that front. I shoot mostly at indoor ranges, so most of time I will still have to wear hearing protection (probably still would anyways) but my wife is very noise sensitive, so it should be helpful for her.

Only use the booster on pistols never on a fixed barrel. With the guardian 9 be sure to lube the booster well.

Good to know. Grease or oil? Or does it not matter?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Definitely the most important thing I've learned is to use a coat of white lithium grease on the blast chamber, and the baffles...just apply grease liberally wherever the gas will make contact with metal. This keeps it cooler, reduces sound a tad, but most importantly--it keeps the carbon from sticking to the metal.

Also, get some anti-seize for the threads if it is user serviceable.

You will also need a gallon or so of mineral spirits for cleaning. I pour half a can in a small bucket, and let it soak for up to three days, and then pour most of the spirits back in the can for re-use. Note that since I've started using lithium grease, I haven't even had to soak them at all, the grime just wipes right off.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Definitely the most important thing I've learned is to use a coat of white lithium grease on the blast chamber, and the baffles...just apply grease liberally wherever the gas will make contact with metal. This keeps it cooler, reduces sound a tad, but most importantly--it keeps the carbon from sticking to the metal.

Also, get some anti-seize for the threads if it is user serviceable.

You will also need a gallon or so of mineral spirits for cleaning. I pour half a can in a small bucket, and let it soak for up to three days, and then pour most of the spirits back in the can for re-use. Note that since I've started using lithium grease, I haven't even had to soak them at all, the grime just wipes right off.

Thank you....great tip.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    There's an adapter for fixed barreled weapons that you'll want to pick up.

I've seen a lot posted about pistol suppressors on fixed barrel weapons. Are there really that many fixed barreled pistols that this is a such a big issue? I can think of a couple, like C96 Mauser and some .22s (like the Rugers, GSG 1911s, etc). Obviously, I can see that if you are putting the can on a 9mm carbine or even a .300 BLK rifle.

What happens if you shoot a suppressor with a booster on a fixed barrel weapon? I assume it increases the pressure and the force applied back to the gun, but is it potentially damaging to the gun or suppressor?

I currently only have possession of one suppressor (a big .45 subgun can with no booster), so I haven't really been able to shoot most of my suppressor host pistols (my other 3 suppressors are locked in NFA jail and will be there for a while longer).

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Is there a separate adapter for the Guardian 9? I dont think I have ever seen one on their website. If memory serves me correct, some boosters you just take a spring or piston out of. How does this work with the Guardian 9? Im going to be shooting on a carbine quite regularly, so do need to get the proper fixed barrel mount. I think the P22 also has a fixed barrel as well?

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    Yes there are some for the guardian 9. You just unscrew the booster and screw them in. They are about $35 each. You need them for fixed barrels it will void the warranty if you don't use it.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    [strike]Know any place that stocks them? My stamp just came in, and Im not sure if Midwest will have them, but I would like to be shooting it this weekend![/strike]

Bud's has them for $30, shipping was $9. It might take a few days, but its probably the cheapest option.

Last edited:

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    [strike]Know any place that stocks them? My stamp just came in, and Im not sure if Midwest will have them, but I would like to be shooting it this weekend![/strike]

Bud's has them for $30, shipping was $9. It might take a few days, but its probably the cheapest option.
    Let us know how long it takes to get it. Thanks

Bushwookie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    Evansville
    I have realisitic expectations when I bought it. I watched a lot of videos and absorbed a lot of info on here. I switched to 147gr projectiles when I bought it, so all good on that front. I shoot mostly at indoor ranges, so most of time I will still have to wear hearing protection (probably still would anyways) but my wife is very noise sensitive, so it should be helpful for her.

Good to know. Grease or oil? Or does it not matter?

I have had mine for about three months now and just grouped some last weekend with some 147gr FMJ from Freedom Munitions and was about 5 inches low from poa at about 15yds.

Top Bottom