• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I love gander mountain, i wont buy there usually because the prices, but i love to camp and fish, so i like to window shop and browse at their huge selection before finding it somewhere cheaper

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    This is just one man's opinion. Yes, their pricing on ammo & guns are way too high usually 20-30% higher. To me however, it is bigger than just higher prices. The people which work at the gun counter seem soulless, the people that work there are robotic. They don't greet customers, if you are waiting for your turn. No one has any fun, it seems to me. This also comes off at times as if the people don't care.

I'm sure this is from the corporate culture, but from the great gun stores I've been to for the last 30 yrs., in various states, this one just doesn't have it!

Anybody else feel or would echo this?

Maybe just me!

HFDowner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    I don't even bother shopping at Gander for Ammo. Prices are always higher. However, they offer firearms training classes like the out of state Utah permit. Having the Utah permit with an Indiana carry permit greatly increases the number states to carry.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    This is just one man's opinion. Yes, their pricing on ammo & guns are way too high usually 20-30% higher. To me however, it is bigger than just higher prices. The people which work at the gun counter seem soulless, the people that work there are robotic. They don't greet customers, if you are waiting for your turn. No one has any fun, it seems to me. This also comes off at times as if the people don't care.

I'm sure this is from the corporate culture, but from the great gun stores I've been to for the last 30 yrs., in various states, this one just doesn't have it!

Anybody else feel or would echo this?

Maybe just me!

I see where you r coming from. Chances are, its in fact, the corporate structure that either drives the good ones out, or turns them into playdough..

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Price matching. If the price is prohibiting someone from making a purchase, I'll price match a store that I know has the same gun cheaper. If INGOers treated employees like Humans they would probably receive better service and pay less money. An elitist attitude gets you nowhere.

whenever i go to gander on the south side i window shop because i know the prices are higher. but not only that, even if i wanted to see something, im aparently invisible to all the employees behind the counter.

regardless, i still spend hours walking around there when im bored and just looking at all the various crap i know i dont need but still want.

aeroe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Charging me $25 for an instore pickup is bad enough, when their site often boasts "free shipping" on anything else. Then they have the nerve to charge well over MSRP for a 715T that I was considering, $75 over with both factored in. In truth, I'm glad I didn't get that plinker.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    The "firearms super center" in Merrillville is a good place to browse if you want to compare a few guns side by side. They have a fairly large inventory.

However, Gander Mtn's selection of reloading supplies has been terrible at every location I've ever been to.

Since you shop there in Merrillville, what are your thoughts on the Cabela's up there?

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Gander targets the crowd that is out wanting to buy a gun but don't know where to go about doing that. The more savvy gun owners already to know where the best deals are. Gander is fine losing those sales. They are still one of the largest gun sellers out there.

Kinda like Don's Guns. :ar15: I don't wanna make any money folks . . . . . .

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    They are have pretty good prices on plenty of other stuff. Camping gear for one. And if you or your kids are scouts (Boy or Girl) the will give a 10% discount. Just show membership or card or go in uniform. Have bought a fair amount of camping gear from them over the last couple of years.

But no I won't buy a gun there. I will look and their guns though, but I let them know up front that I am only looking and don't want to waste their time. I've yet to get blown off after telling the clerk that and have gotten some decent conversation and information. I do tend to look for the older guys that appear to know their stuff. If not busy, a decent salesperson will spend some time and be helpful in the hopes of getting a future sale and/or good word of mouth.

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Greenfield
    I recently moved to Indy from Jeffersonville. Within 15 minutes of my home I had a Bass Pro and Cabelas. I will say from personal experience, that those two stores are hands above anything I have seen at Gander. Selection, organization, and overall employee education are much better at BPS and Cabelas. I recently went to GM in Castleton to buy some new Under Armour thermals, and it took me 15 minutes to even find it! I had to resort to asking for help, then the girl took me to where it "should be". My wife finally found it mixed in with the women's clearance stuff, but not on sale! Poor selection of sizes and different weights as well. I drove to Cabelas and bought what I needed a few days later - found what I needed in less than 5 minutes and they had a huge selection! I honestly hate to say it, but I prefer BPS overall for "name brand items" but cabelas private label products are much better quality than Bass Pro Shops.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Price matching. If the price is prohibiting someone from making a purchase, I'll price match a store that I know has the same gun cheaper. If INGOers treated employees like Humans they would probably receive better service and pay less money. An elitist attitude gets you nowhere.
    Then you should teach the managers and employees at the greenwood gander how to treat customers. I never shop somewhere with an elitist attitude. I'm very polite almost to a fault.
    I'd rather try to cuddle with a rabid raccoon than give gander another dollar from my wallet.

Top Bottom