What do you carry in your 9mm for defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OlBluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    I am now using Federal 147gr JHP. These came in a plain no frills white box i have never seen before. Also, I could not find them on the Federal site so I have no idea if they are anything special aside from some basic JHP they put out?..they were 30 bucks for 50 of them.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I use Speer Gold Dot 124gr in all my 9mm's. Federal has a bunch of different packages for ammo but they all hit where you put the front sight. I've seen that 147gr JHP a few times and it's a good value for the price -50 for $30 these days is a bargain - I just saw Remington Golden Sabres - 20 for $35.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Back when I carried the 9mm I always found 124 grain GoldDot and 124 grain HydraShok to be accurate and reliable. The main things to consider when picking defense ammunition is availability, reliability and accuracy. If it satisfies those requirements you are good to go. Don't get caught up in what kills goats the fastest. I wouldn't want to get hit by any of the commercially available 9mm hollow points.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Back when I carried the 9mm I always found 124 grain GoldDot and 124 grain HydraShok to be accurate and reliable. The main things to consider when picking defense ammunition is availability, reliability and accuracy. If it satisfies those requirements you are good to go. Don't get caught up in what kills goats the fastest. I wouldn't want to get hit by any of the commercially available 9mm hollow points.

^what he said^ Find what your gun likes and shoots accurately. Do not, get caught in the hype, that you need to buy the most expensive hollow point. Currently, I'm using 147 grain Winchester Ranger SXT's. In both my FNP 9mm and my 92FS. I also, have had good luck with the following.

147 grain Winchester Silver Tips.
    147 grain Federal in the white box with black lettering.
    147 grain Federal Premium Hydra Shoks.
    124 grain Black Hills.

Out of a full size handgun, I prefer a heavier grain bullet. In something, with a 3" or shorter barrel, then I prefer a lighter grain bullet.

OlBluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    I agree Vert and U.S., there is so much hype associated with goat killing or gelatin block shots, and though I find this data interesting, I'm more interested in placing my rounds in center mass if it ever came to that.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Winchester Ranger Talon 147gr. SXT

WinRanger.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It looks like 124 Gr. Gold Dots are pretty popular. That's what I carry as well, in both my HiPower and my 92FS.

I take credit for that. Told you them Gold Dots shoot good. I like the 155 grain Gold Dots in .40 for my Glock 23. I am down to my last 25 rounds and need to find some more.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    In my full size 9mm, 147gr HydraShoks - but I don't carry that gun much these days.

In my EDC, KelTec PF9, I carry standard pressure Federal Classic 9BP's or the Fiocchi Extrema XTP's - both 115gr. The old Federal 9BP's used to be all L.E. needed to carry and I tend to agree. The XTP bullet has a good reputation for low velocity expansion, as well. Both cycle the gun flawlessly and shoot to point of aim out to 25 yards for me. I really haven't drank the koolaid on the high dollar PD rounds. I can't really afford to practice with 'em - and a high dollar hollowpoint does me no good if I can't put them where they belong.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm carrying 147gr Speer Gold dots. They are very accurate from my gun, reliable, and have a great reputation for effectiveness. They also happen to be the round that is easily available to me.

If I could find a steady local supply of Federal 9BPs mentioned above, I'd carry those. Their accuracy and reliability was always outstanding for me in any gun I shot them out of. And they are very reasonably priced. My favorite 9mm ammo period, but I just don't see it on the stores any more :(

Top Bottom