• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    The non-chlorinated blue can brake cleaner from Walmart has about the exact same contents as the $8 a can gun scrubber and it is $2. Do not use on plastic or wood. Great on metal parts. Switched to a 50/50 blend of Marvels Mystery Oils and Kroil. Tried this after housing Hoppe's and was surprised how much more came out.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Where firearms?

I use CLP. I suspect the bottle that I have had for almost 20 years will outlast me.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I use Butch's Bore Shine. It has a bit of ammonia in it, to tackle copper fouling. Works well for me. If you have serious copper fouling, I have used Sweet's 7.62 solvent. Be forewarned though, Sweet's is loaded with ammonia. Use in a very well ventilated area, or outside, or use SCBA to breathe.

Rickshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    I have been using guerilla for a few years. THE CLP works very well. A friends wife was terrible allergies and he can clean indoors without causing any type reaction.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hoppes - original
    CLP- on AR
    If I have to battle any rust speckles from being out in wet weather or on a carry gun I use Rem oil and either a solid copper penny or 0000 steel wool then rub on Flitz with a soft rag and I always wipe down anything blued with a light coat of Rem oil before it goes in the safe

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Ballistol for 95% of my cleaning. If I need anything stronger, I have several choices: Bore Tech Eliminator, Sweets, Butch's, etc. and a bit of Chore Boy brass ribbon. I use Kroil on my DW 1911 because they seem to recommend it for their finish.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    Marion
    I've been using Break Free CLP for the longest time, but I'm thinking of trying out the Lucas Oil Co. cleaning products and gun oil to see how good that is.

griggs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    I used to use balistol but the liqurish smell was getting to me. So I took a chance on a Amazon clearer and lubes called LiquiFix. I just used it to clean my bcg for the first time ever after close to 1000 rounds and the **** melted off like hot butter. Its also nontoxic so I feel good to use a light coat on my high carbon knifes

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    For Glocks I just wipe the parts down, use bore snake and a few drops of CLP on rails and barrel hood. For ARs I use a lot of CLP on the BCG.

I took a SIG armorer class and they said to use any product intended for gun use. Seems like good advice to avoid the brake cleaner, Mobil 1 and other auto stuff that may not be very polymer-friendly.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Water mostly.
    No.9 occasionally.
    Kroil in extremis.
    Lubricants are another matter.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Bore snake with Ballistol or RemOil usually but just got in a kit of Shooterlube so we’ll see if it’s enough to make me think twice about switching.

Deeper cleaning is the same except I will use a cleaning rod and patches.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I am a bit surprised by the number of people who seem to be using brake cleaner. As an automotive technician, I have used that stuff to clean a variety of stuff. But it can be awfully aggressive if it gets onto certain polymers/plastics and I would bet it could wreck some coatings such as duracoat or cerakote (never tried it). I have seen it take mulitple types of finishes off cars/ parts.
    Based on the one time I've used it Gun Scrubber seems to be very similar to brake cleaner. And I would use it with caution

Top Bottom