• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    What do you do with it? 6 years ago I bought a Ruger 77 International SS in .308 at an auction for my son to deer hunt in East Tennessee. Last Saturday his mother loaded it, put it to her chest and blew her heart all over his bedroom.
    My children are crushed. We were divorced in 1985. I didn't blink an eye when I heard. But my heart is so heavy for my children.
    The local police have it right now. When they release it, I have been asked to take it. Do I sell it, keep it for him, burn it, what. Give me some advice. It "was" a nice rifle. My 1st thoght was to sell it and get him another one like it. I dunno.
    A grieving Dad

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Take the rifle and put it away where your children will not find it and wait till they are older and ask them what they want done with the rifle.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    First off, ask your son what he wants done with it. My guess is he doesn't want it anymore. Can't say as I blame him. Everytime he looks at that rifle the image of his mom dying is going to flash through his mind. Dredging up grief is no way to go about life. I'd suggest selling it and, down the road, getting him something completely different (in looks and possibly calibre). Then take him hunting when you give it to him so he can make a newer and happier memory with it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Id sell it if it were me. of coarse its totaly up to you. im sorry for the loss and the heartache your going through seeing your children grieve. I just lost a dear family member this week myself.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    Ask your son what he wants done with it, but wait until you get it back into your possession that way he has some time to recover first.

Personally I would get rid of it. It may be a "nice" rifle, but in the end it is just a tool made of wood and metal. I would never be able to use it again without thinking about what it was used for.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    How terrible...

You don't say how old your son is, but from the dates you mention, I'm guessing late 20's or so. If I'm correct, he should be mature enough to discuss this--eventually. Id just keep it until the appropriate time.

Im betting he wont want it back....I wouldn't under similar circumstances.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    good god. My most sincere condolences to your children.

As many others have said, if the rifle is returned, lock it away until your children are older. When the time is right, ask your son what he wants to do with it.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Take the rifle and put it away where your children will not find it and wait till they are older and ask them what they want done with the rifle.
    This. And my condolences. If you decide to get rid of it I would offer it up to the fine members on this site, surely someone is looking for a gun of this type. But, do talk to the kids the kids, this may be one of those safe queens that just stay in the safe forever.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Another vote for selling it. Not sure I could accept something like that, even as a gift. Also, might not want to tell the buyer about the rifles use either ...just sayin'. Sorry for the families loss.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It is the child's rifle and the child is heartbroken over the suicide. I would vote to sell.

I used to have the revolver my grandfather killed himself with. I received it several years after it happened. It did not trouble me, as a gun owner, that it had that "history", but I did end up selling it for other reasons.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sorry for your families loss.
    DO NOT SELL IT YET.

I'm not sure how old your son is. If underage wait until he can "own" the rifle and ask what he wants to do with it. He may want to sell it (ie. never see it again), he may want to bury it, destroy it, etc..

It may just be a tool/gun to you but to him it will have meaning (good/bad) and it will help him bring clouser to him once he determines what to do with it. To him that weapon is no longer just a weapon it has some emotional/memory connected to him. Best to wait until he is ready to deal with that and for him to make that decision on how best to handle that weapon.

Again sorry for your families' loss.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I agree with what other have said.
    Keep the gun, keep it away from your son until you can both talk about what to do with the gun.
    I guess now would be to early to talk about that.
    He could want to have it sold so that he doesnt have to see it ever again.
    He may want to destroy it since he may not like the fact that someone else would be using the gun if its sold.
    He may want to keep it.
    I dont know what I would do if I were him.
    Keep the gun locked away and talk about it with your son when you both feel like it.

And of course im very sorry to hear your story.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Sorry for your families loss.
    DO NOT SELL IT YET.

I'm not sure how old your son is. If underage wait until he can "own" the rifle and ask what he wants to do with it. He may want to sell it (ie. never see it again), he may want to bury it, destroy it, etc..

It may just be a tool/gun to you but to him it will have meaning (good/bad) and it will help him bring clouser to him once he determines what to do with it. To him that weapon is no longer just a weapon it has some emotional/memory connected to him. Best to wait until he is ready to deal with that and for him to make that decision on how best to handle that weapon.

Again sorry for your families' loss.

:yesway:

Guys, if they got a divorce in '85, how could the son be any younger than 26-27?

He's old enough to decide, so ask him...If he doesn't want it, sell it.

:yesway:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Sorry for the loss and that is why I would sell it and do it soon. Do not give the rifle a chance to bring bad memories to him. It could never hold any value as a gun to him.

Use the money for something good.......

as for telling the seller what happened, I would not. What purpose could that possibly serve. Sell it to a gun store or something..

In this case you could have the police 'destroy' it. Somehow, even though it is not the guns fault, it could give your son some peace on that particular rifle.

I really don't know what exactly I would do.....this is so sad.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If he decides to destroy the gun.
    How do you do it?
    You send it to the ATF?
    You do it yourself?
    You bring it to the local foundry?

Top Bottom