• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Wow. That's a tough one. Condolences to the family. As far as what to do with the rifle, I guess it all depends on the people involved. As others have said, your son is an adult and can make his own decisions. However, I would also point out that there are other people involved that may be affected by this. You and maybe even your son might end up being OK with keeping it, but would it be worth causing grief to other family members? IMO, the fact that it is a gun is really irrelevant. Forgive my bluntness but it could have just as easily been a car left running in a garage, or just a simple piece of rope. Under these circumstances, none of those objects would have any more value than the other to me. In the end, you are in a much better position than any of us to know how your family will be affected. My sincere hope for you and your family is that you will all eventually recover from this terrible event. The rifle is really the last thing I'd be worried about right now. Good luck.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    as for telling the seller what happened, I would not. What purpose could that possibly serve. Sell it to a gun store or something..
    What is the new gun owner is superstisouls? since the police have the gun a "record" of that gun is now in .gov hands correct? While it may not be important and legal to sell it best to discolse the info in case the other party cares to know of such info.

Sorry for the loss and that is why I would sell it and do it soon. Do not give the rifle a chance to bring bad memories to him. It could never hold any value as a gun to him.

Use the money for something good.......

If he decides to destroy the gun.
    How do you do it?
    You send it to the ATF?
    You do it yourself?
    You bring it to the local foundry?

However the son sees fit. He could blow torch it himself, give to to police to destroy, etc.

It's not about the "gun" (physcial object) per say. It's about bring closuer to his son on what the object helped do. The son can not blame his mom since she is no longer here so the next best way for his son to bring clouser is via the next physcial item that was with his mom. In this case it happens to be the gun. However as someone else pointed out it could have been the family car, a rope, a radio in the tub.

The point is some people require a interaction with a physcial object to bring closuer. For example you man end up holding on to your mom's kitchen pots to remeber her by even though you may not use them, you make bury an old sewing machine that your grandma loved that was destoryed in a fire where grandma died, etc..

Everyone grief in a different way and may or may not use items for closuser. Being that it's the son's firearm the son should have the FINAL say in how that item is taken care of (destoryed, kept in safe never to be used, etc...)

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Take the rifle and put it away where your children will not find it and wait till they are older and ask them what they want done with the rifle.

Another vote for this. The emotions are too raw now. Give it time.

I am so sorry for your-- and their-- loss.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    For the record; my son is 31 and asked me to take the gun, he didn't want it. my daughter is 29. It is not a trophy, I'll not hang it over the fireplace, I mean REALLY. I'm a gun lover and a capitalist, it won't be destroyed. I'll sell it 1st.
    Thanks for all the good responses.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What do you do with it? 6 years ago I bought a Ruger 77 International SS in .308 at an auction for my son to deer hunt in East Tennessee. Last Saturday his mother loaded it, put it to her chest and blew her heart all over his bedroom.
    My children are crushed. We were divorced in 1985. I didn't blink an eye when I heard. But my heart is so heavy for my children.
    The local police have it right now. When they release it, I have been asked to take it. Do I sell it, keep it for him, burn it, what. Give me some advice. It "was" a nice rifle. My 1st thoght was to sell it and get him another one like it. I dunno.
    A grieving Dad

Sell it and never speak of it again. If pressed by your kids, tell them the truth. You used the money to pay for their cancelling. Especially with your son. Your ex-wife done your son the disservice of making her suicide personal to him.

A good friend, I went to HS with, had his father commit suicide when we were in school. A year out of school he was talking up the unique gun that he had acquired, like his dad's. He seemed fine, then six months later he used the gun on himself.

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    I would sell it and then at a later time ask them if they would like it replaced. I couldn't ever imagine keeping a gun a loved one took their life with.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    For the record; my son is 31 and asked me to take the gun, he didn't want it. my daughter is 29. It is not a trophy, I'll not hang it over the fireplace, I mean REALLY. I'm a gun lover and a capitalist, it won't be destroyed. I'll sell it 1st.

When I saw the OP, I kind of figured that the kids were grown. I'd say if your son doesn't want it but would get use out of another rifle...why not sell it and get him something different?

As far as the rest of the situation, just make sure your kids are going through the grieving process and know they can talk about anything (even if not with you, lots of groups out there for survivors).

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky

The sell it. The classifieds here will give you a fair price.

But unlike the other have stated, don't cover up the guns history. If somebody asks why you are selling it, tell it to them straight.

Some people are superstitious upset if they found out down the road.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Assuming that there is blood and maybe gore on the rifle, it will probably be in pretty poor condition when returned, which might be quite some time. If it were me, I'd leave it in the hands of the police and let them dispose of it in whatever manner they find appropriate. There are folks who like suicide guns and I won't judge them, but I think most family members wouldn't want to have a tool of their relative's suicide. Even after an extended period of time, simply bringing up the subject of the rifle might open old wounds unnecessarily.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Guys, if they got a divorce in '85, how could the son be any younger than 26-27?

He's old enough to decide, so ask him...If he doesn't want it, sell it.

^^^ This.....

Or if he doesn't want it and it's not damaged by the blood eating into the metal/finish keep it. But I think it's your son's decision. :twocents:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am so sorry your family has to deal with this. Sell the rifle.

Of greater importance is the grief process, this is an extreme case. It has to run its course, and those grieving may need some support or counseling to keep from gretting bogged down in the process. I do not know what your relationships are like, or if you have people to count on like a minister or counselor, but there may need to be some intervention. My Masters work was in Psychology with a minor in Counseling. I am not presently working in the field, but I would be willing to help find a good counselor. It is ok to contact me off the site. I will PM my email

Last edited:

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Just keep it for now...

I've got the 1911 my buddy killed himself with...at first I didn't want it either...but after the years started passing I realized its just a gun like any other...

I shoot the hell out of it..

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Even though he said he doesn't want it now, id hang onto it for a while incase he changes his mind. Right now emotions have to be pretty messed up (understandably) and while he may not want it this second, maybe in the future he will want that link to his mom, no matter how morbid.

My condolences to you and your family... I can't imagine what it must be like :/

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom