What do you do with your wood stove/fireplace ash?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I used to put them on the garden; after 2-3 yeras of repeated application my soil got too basic and now I can't grow potatoes without scab problems. Ashes are VERY basic, be careful adding them to your garden.

I primarily use them as a traction aid on ice/snow. It works better than salt/sand and is some really great stuff for traction. We have a steep driveway and steep hill on the road right after our driveway. Those 2 hills are enough to keep my ash supply wiped out.

Last but not least, I would like to try making lye for homemade soap. Do your research. IIRC, there are right ways and wrongs ways to make lye. I've done a little reading on this subject and many people found that 1 pass through the ash isn't enough for the water to pick up enough lye, they have to do multiple passes through more and more ash to increase the strength of the lye solution to the point that it can be used to make soap. You will need a couple tools to measure the specific gravity of the solution. I don't believe there is any way to know the true solution strength when making lye this way because of the other dissolved contents but you can generally get close enough.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Outdoor boiler here, so I make LOTS of ash. It goes on my compost pile with manure, grass clippings, and leaves. I stir it all up several times a year with the tractor loader. Comes out looking like potting soil. Used a lot of it last year to re-seed parts of my yard. Really makes the grass grow.

Top Bottom