What do you guys think of this for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    I know there is a thread on here already about the 'bad guy's mindset' that applies to home defense but I don't remember who posted it...

Anyway, since someone is willing to illegally enter your domain it is reasonable to assume they are mentally prepared for confrontation. In which case, you want to be ready with something you are comfortable and quick with handling. If this 1911 carbine is something that's comfortable and instinctive to use then use it for HD.

One thing to think about though is the gun you shoot the invader with could be locked up in an evidence locker for almost ever.

UnionPmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have been researching the MechTech and I am very seriously considering purchasing it after I get my tax return. All the reviews I have seen (YouTube) or read speak highly of it. I have read claimed accuracy out to 150yds.

With a 1911 receiver you can choose whatever caliber that 1911 magazines come in. Your 1911 may have been chambered in .45ACP, but because you can get a 1911 in .38 Super, 40S&W, 9mm, and 10mm, you can choose that caliber upper. They even make it 460 Roland.

That is my only hesitation; I can't decide on a caliber! :dunno:

You do NOT need a tax stamp, it is considered an accessory and can be shipped directly to you. The only issue with it is that technically when you reassemble your 1911 it is then a "SBR" (not sure what rule this is). Someone had written the BATFE and received a letter stating that it would not apply to this application (they had posted the letter). The person did say, however, that BATFE letters only apply to the recipient.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    By the way, with a hot Underwood 10mm 135gr load, the Mech Tech has as much muzzle energy as a .223 with a 55gr bullet.

Ya, that should suffice. That much energy with a 135gr JHP would be pretty devastating at typical home defense ranges.

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I've been looking at these since I have a G20 on order.

Top Bottom